the yamaha, without a doubt. it sounds better, yamaha generally has better quality control, generally yamahas have better build quality, higher quality hardware and a nicer finish, and in this particular case the yamaha has a solid top where epi has laminate top.

there is no disadvantage that i am aware of to getting the yamaha over the epiphone. i have more experience with the fg700s and the fg730s, but the one you're looking at falls right between them and the fg720s's that i tried definitely sound better than any all laminate guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
the yamaha, without a doubt. it sounds better, yamaha generally has better quality control, generally yamahas have better build quality, higher quality hardware and a nicer finish, and in this particular case the yamaha has a solid top where epi has laminate top.

there is no disadvantage that i am aware of to getting the yamaha over the epiphone. i have more experience with the fg700s and the fg730s, but the one you're looking at falls right between them and the fg720s's that i tried definitely sound better than any all laminate guitar.

Alright I'm going for yamaha! Thaanks dude!
What's the best soundhole pickup for ac guitar that is cheap?
The thing here is that those are two very different guitars. The all-laminate thinline PR-5E vs a solid top dreadnaught is the issue. I would say to check out the Epiphone Hummingbird Artist. At $249 it's a dreadnaught with a solid top that would more accurately compare with the Yamaha.

As far as advantages and disadvantages, some people would say the nato body of the Yamaha would be a disadvantage compared to the mahogany body of the Epiphone, but I've owned a Yamaha FG-423S with a nato body and thought it sounded great. I have played both the Epi H-bird artist and the Yamaha FG-720S and I really don't think you could go wrong with either one.

here's the hummingbird artist -

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Hummingbird-Artist-Acoustic-Guitar-105335319-i1448734.gc
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by 1500 meanstreak
The thing here is that those are two very different guitars. The all-laminate thinline PR-5E vs a solid top dreadnaught is the issue. I would say to check out the Epiphone Hummingbird Artist. At $249 it's a dreadnaught with a solid top that would more accurately compare with the Yamaha.

As far as advantages and disadvantages, some people would say the nato body of the Yamaha would be a disadvantage compared to the mahogany body of the Epiphone, but I've owned a Yamaha FG-423S with a nato body and thought it sounded great. I have played both the Epi H-bird artist and the Yamaha FG-720S and I really don't think you could go wrong with either one.

here's the hummingbird artist -

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Hummingbird-Artist-Acoustic-Guitar-105335319-i1448734.gc

The Yamaha sounds better.
1500 meanstreak, the nato body doesn't mean much. most laminate guitars, yamaha included, are made with a very thin sheet of the wood on the outside - in the case of the fg720 it's nato, in the case of the fg730 it's rosewood. but the wood underneath - which is the thickest part - is a different and cheaper wood. i talked to a yamaha rep who wouldn't tell me what the wood is, but he did tell me it's the same wood on all their laminate back and sides FG series guitars.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!