I'm considering getting EMG pickups, however, my dilemma is that I've heard that EMG-X pickups are significantly better, yet I can't find any decent demos on Youtube, or any site for that matter. So, my question would be:

Would a set of EMG 81X/60X perform better than 81/60 for heavy metal?

I tune in Drop C#, and my guitar is a solid-body mahogany with a Set maple neck and rosewood fretboard, if that matters.
Any help is appreciated.
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
well....from what i know the X sereise has more headroom (which is acheivable with the 18v mod on normal emg's) that will let you have more headroom on clean settings. i also heard the X sereise are supposed to sound more organic and have passive characteristics.....
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
well....from what i know the X sereise has more headroom (which is acheivable with the 18v mod on normal emg's)

I've also heard the 18v mod can kill the pickups pretty quickly if you're unlucky... So far, I'm liking the sound of these.
Currently Using:

Peavey Vypyr 120h
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
Quote by AgileGhost
I've also heard the 18v mod can kill the pickups pretty quickly if you're unlucky... So far, I'm liking the sound of these.

nope that cant happen. the max rated volts for EMG's are 27 volts. so 18 wouldnt even be pushing it.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
if the price difference is like 20 bucks, i would go for the X sereise anyway. just to have those little perks. but any big difference in price......normal emg's have been doing fine since the 80's man. they're solid pickups, but im gonna be the guy to say get a new amp first cause its jst gonna be a waste of money right now. you say yourself in your sig your amp is horrible. Amp>pickups
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
if the price difference is like 20 bucks, i would go for the X sereise anyway. just to have those little perks. but any big difference in price......normal emg's have been doing fine since the 80's man. they're solid pickups, but im gonna be the guy to say get a new amp first cause its jst gonna be a waste of money right now. you say yourself in your sig your amp is horrible. Amp>pickups

I know I need a new amp, but I only have about $300, so I couldn't really get anything amazing anyway. It's listed in my sig because thats my only personally owned amp. Most of the time, I play out of my friend's Line 6.
Currently Using:

Peavey Vypyr 120h
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
Quote by EspTro
get a new amp first cause its jst gonna be a waste of money right now. you say yourself in your sig your amp is horrible. Amp>pickups

+1
regulkar emg's @ 18v are fine, thats what ive been using for over a decade in all my guitars
the 18v gives more headroom, simillar to the x series

but as someone else said, you need a new amp first
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at May 5, 2011,
u could find something like a bugera used for $300
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
It's also possible to get a used Peavey 6505+ for $300, if you look long enough. It won't be as common as a Bugera though.

Either the 6505+, or a Bugera 6262 combo would be so much more helpful for your tone, it's not even funny. With either of those amps, it won't matter how bad your pickups are, it will sound relatively good regardless.

Pickups are just the icing on the cake on top of that. They won't do much of anything to improve your tone through a Spider, or anything worse than that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X