I was playing just before and my amp picked up some random radio station. I was just curious to see if it's happened to anyone else and what causes it?
My friends behringer picked up some asian chatter once. expect nothin less from behringer tho
Yea, I've seen that too, but I've no idea what causes it...
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
@malmsteensolo Nah It was just sitting on my floor, there was nothing in my room switched on besides my amp. I have heard that single coil pickups are prone to picking up radio signals occasionally. It scared the hell out of me. I thought Satan was about to explode out of my amp.
Quote by Andy1993
@malmsteensolo Nah It was just sitting on my floor, there was nothing in my room switched on besides my amp. I have heard that single coil pickups are prone to picking up radio signals occasionally. It scared the hell out of me. I thought Satan was about to explode out of my amp.

Whatever you're on, I'll take two
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

Yeah, that's just normal for single coils, get that all the time from P90's and the single coil on my Marauder. I guess you could just use a noise gate. In case it wasn't insanely loud. Was it?
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at May 5, 2011,
Nah it was about the same volume as my guitar. I don't really have a problem with it happening it just took me by surprise.
I got it once with my Ibanez guit and Ibanez GTA10 amp, I guess cheap shit does this a lot.
I get it with my 5150 but only in certain venues and only if my NS-2 is in reduction mode.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
tubes can cause this too some t00bz are microphonic
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
THE EXACT same thing happens to me. If i have my amp turned up past 6 or so in my house (its a dinky little 15w amp), I get some sports talk show radio frequency on my amp, clear as day...its odd
Imagine Tools' Faaip De Ooiad playing from your amp. Thay would scare me shitless

It's normal. Just interference.

If you shield your guitar and make sure everything is grounded properly, you'll probably dramatically reduce the problem.

Joe Satriani's "Flying In a Blue Dream" features radio interference in the opening.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
99% of the time this is caused by bad cables. Buy some good ones and see if you keep having this problem.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by Raijouta
It's normal. Just interference.

If you shield your guitar and make sure everything is grounded properly, you'll probably dramatically reduce the problem.

Joe Satriani's "Flying In a Blue Dream" features radio interference in the opening.

Sleep Now In The Fire by Rage Against the Machine has it at the end too.

I've thought about doing something like that but 3 things are stopping me

1. It's not my guitar
2. It's really old and cheap so it's not really worth doing.
3. I can't be arsed.
Last edited by Andy1993 at May 6, 2011,
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Imagine Tools' Faaip De Ooiad playing from your amp. Thay would scare me shitless

It sounded similar. I think it was a news station but it was all distorted and crackly. Really creeped me out.
Some really weird advice in this thread. Its definitely not tubes.

Basically, some aspect of the wiring or cable is acting as an antenna, and you're amplifier is just doing its job and amplifying the signal its picking up. Usually happens on higher gain settings in my experience.

I'd make sure you're using properly shielded cables. Get you're guitar shielded if it isn't. Try moving your amp to a different part of the room, and a different electrical socket.

This is one reason I keep a noise gate on my board even if I'm not playing heavy music

Are you near a radio station/antenna by any chance? The year I lived near one, my amp played a lot of Christian rock..
Quote by denied

Are you near a radio station/antenna by any chance? The year I lived near one, my amp played a lot of Christian rock..

Nah. The nearest one is in the city which is about a 20-30 minute drive away. I think it was just random interference.
Ha man this happened to me too. I'd play guitar stop then hear music. It was worse when it happened to the vocalist, popping out some Beyonce and shit like that.