Hey,

Well in September i'm off to university and i'll need a smaller amp to fit in my room and that's not too loud.

I currently have an Marshall DSL50 and i just about get away with playing that at home but at uni i think i'm going to have to be quieter. So i'm looking for something around the 5-15 watt range, i usually play metal but it would be good for it to be reasonably versatile, a headphone output would be ideal, also. It would be great to have some sort of valve system but solid state would be fine.

As for budget, the cheaper the better. At most i'd go for around £300, give or take.

Thanks for any help!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Get a POD with headphones. A 5-15 watt valve amp isnt going to be any easier to play a low volumes then your dsl.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 5, 2011,
I use a blackstar HT-1. Sounds pretty nice for a small practice amp. Seems to fit the bill. It doesn't do full on high-gain, but approaches it. Then just use the Bad Monkey to boost I guess. The HT-5 brings a few extra niceties, but it's a fair bit more.

The HT-1 is surprisingly loud in a small room. Plenty for practising.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at May 5, 2011,
Even 5 watts tube will be too loud for a dorm.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Get a POD with headphones. A 5-15 watt valve amp isnt going to be any easier to play a low volumes then your dsl.

This. Or a Vox Amplug, if you want to go on the cheap.
Why not get an Egnator Rebel? Switchable from 1 to 20 watts right? Or that ENGL micro tube joint. Anything in the 1 watt range really. A Blues Jr. would probably suffice just fine.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
It depends on what you want to do with it... If you're in a dorm and will NEVER be able to play above a loud TV volume then I wouldn't bother with a tube amp, especially since you already have one you like. If you will occasionally be able to play loudly, like at a friends house or when your roommate is out, and just need something that can do quiet when needed then that's another story.

Just keep in mind; there is no quiet tube amp. Some can do quiet fairly well, but halfway up the volume dial on just about every tube amp is gonna be LOUD.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i use a line 6 pod with headphones at night so i dont disturb the neighbours or my kids when they are sleeping
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
got a blackstar ht 5 with a 4x12 cab, i play at reasonable tv volume and it sounds great. i live in an apartment.

look into the blackstar ht-5r combo

pods sound pretty cool, but not as good as a real amp and its annoying having to wear headphones while you play
Last edited by crazygnr1996 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus

This all the way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Roland microcube
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp