I've read some reviews and watched some youtube clips of this amp and I like it, but would like to know more before ordering one (closest music store doesn't sell them). On a lot of the youtube clips I watched is wasn't clear if the guy was running a pedal through it. Can you get 80's metal type of distortion from this amp without a pedal (I hate using pedals)? If so, do you have to crank the amp to get it? Or can you get decent enough distortion for 80's metal at bedroom or basement volume? When I say eighties metal, I'm talking Iron Maiden, Dio, Def Leppard, Judas Priest and Metallica. I don't need 'modern' metal distortion--old metallica is about the heaviest I'm looking for.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info
it should have the amount of gain you are looking for.

whether it sounds good to you is another story.
i got a blackstar ht 5 + avatar 4x12 with v30s, it sounds amazing with metallica and ozzy riffs.
You can get much better amps in the same price bracket of the haze, namely every single tube amp I can think of

Oh and the cabs awful as well, seriously, just avoid it.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
i used to love that amp i thought it sounded really good but then i tried some other amps and wow now i sounds like crap not to mention for the price of it
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Yeah don't get the Haze. It's a horrible amp I think. The distortion sounds like ass. Go for the Blackstar HT-5
Lots of people mention the Blackstar H5...I kinda like reverb, but if the distortion could do metallica at fairly low volume I might consider it. Can blackstar h5 pull this off?
yeah easy
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
just so you know,
UG is in a blackstar-vibe nowadays.
every amp suggestion thread has at least 50% blackstar suggested.so dont just roll with it.
i think the haze has great distortion for the types you summed up. but for the nearly 700 euros(it is this much in the netherlands) you can get some pretty nice other amps too.
For the price of a new Marshall Haze half stack, you can get a Peavey XXX, which will get the tones you're looking for very easily, do them very well, and it will be 10x as versatile as the Haze. A Peavey Ultra Plus would also be a good choice, it's almost, if not the same exact amp as the XXX.

On top of that, you'd have at least $400 left for a cab. You could possibly score a Mesa cab for that much, if you're patient enough/can barter.

I can't stress how much better the XXX is than a Haze. I can't stress how much better almost any other tube amp out there is better than the Haze.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Honestly, to me, the Blackstar sounds like shit. The Haze head isn't bad if you can catch for a decent price used. The combo doesn't sound the same to me and I didn't like it as much. If you get the Haze get a different cab, something like an avatar 1x12. That Haze sounds a lot better through a decent cab.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I own it for 2 monthes now and i like the tone, i have a ,marshall 1960 cab and sometimes i boost the gain with an OD pedal
well, as per many of the suggestions in this thread, I checked out some youtube clips/reviews/demos of the blackstar h5 and blackstar h20.

Both of them are very sweet sounding amps. I must say, I like them better than the haze so far. There's one clip where a guy is running one of those VS double trouble overdrives though a blackstar h20, and I have to admit, I was blown away. Blackstar had taken first place afaic,

ty