I have done a little research and have it narrowed down somewhat. Keep in mind I am a guitarist and my bassist is ready to make a purchase. He is a great player, but has never been in a band and doesnt know much about gear.

We play metal, if we had to have a subgenre I would say Heavy/groove/speedy/death/thrash lol...

Just think of bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, Divine Heresey, DevilDriver, Testament. Those are the kinds of sounds we are looking for. He does really like mids so we are not looking for mid scooped sound.

We do have 2 guitarists.

Now the bass amps in question:

Ampeg 410HLF, PF500 or SVT-3 or 4?
Acoustic B200H
Sansamp RBI or PDDI???
GK 700 RB II
Mesa M6 or Big Block
Laney Nexus 400
Orange Terror

These are all amps I have seen quite a bit of metal guys mention or have heard you tube clips of and was impressed, not sure what alot of them are.

He is looking to also get a semi decent cab and has a budget in the $1,000 to $1,500 for both so keep that in mind as well.

Help us out guys....Thanks
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Try some Ashdowns too if you can, they are very similar to ampegs in feel and tone, and should have a decent middle punch, plus do all sorts of various cab extensions.
Man, there's so much variation in amps there. Ic an't really give you a definitive answer without knowing what sound he wants.
Any examples of specific bassists/songs/sections of songs that he really likes the tone of?
What extras will he want/need? (eq options, fx loop, valves etc.)
What cab config will he want?

My only real thought is with that price, don't go for the Acoustic. It's a great amp for the price, but everything else you've listed kicks its arse.
I'm also a massive lover of Hartke, so if you havn't looked at them, do that too.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ok thanks guys, keep them coming!!!

Any specific Ashdown amps you can recommend? Are the Evo's any good?
Last edited by maddnotez at May 5, 2011,
Im not sure about all the details. I dont know jack about bass gear and he really doesnt either...lol

This will be his first amp, but it will be for a gigging band with good equipment, so we want something pretty good. Not top of the line but good.

Maybe used and cheaper...
What stuck out to me in your list was the Orange Terror. I personally love the sound that Orange bass amps put out, and if I could get any bass amp at the moment, it would probably be an Orange.
Yeah it sounded nice, I think he is going to end up with the GK 700rb
Lol at having Acoustic and Mesa in the same list.

You guys sound like you have absolutely no idea what you/he actually wants. Go to a few stores, play some amps then buy the one he likes best, it's not that hard. There are no "genre specific" amps when it comes to bass.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Lol at having Acoustic and Mesa in the same list.

You guys sound like you have absolutely no idea what you/he actually wants. Go to a few stores, play some amps then buy the one he likes best, it's not that hard. There are no "genre specific" amps when it comes to bass.

+1.

Mesa to GK to Orange is like apples to bananas to more oranges.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by consecutive e
There are no "genre specific" amps when it comes to bass.

This. So much. Go out and try them all.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
From that list, the hands-down winner is Mesa's Big Block 750. You'd never need another bass amp in your life and it has tone to die for.

If you are looking to spend less and still get a lot of amplifier, take a look at Carvin's B2000. That one is another one-is-all-you-need bass amp and it is about a third of the price of the Mesa.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
From that list, the hands-down winner is Mesa's Big Block 750. You'd never need another bass amp in your life and it has tone to die for.

Buy me a SVT and you can have mine? You have no idea how hard it is finding someone who's willing to make that trade down here.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The shipping alone would kill me. If I was going to spend a chunk of change on gear these days, I'd try to pick up a now-discontinued Mesa Titan V12 Big Block head. The one I played was truly impressive. I'm not as impressed with the SVT as so many people seem to be; not even back in the 1970s when it seemed like every bassist who could afford something better than a Peavey Mark series had one. It's a fine amp, but it comes across as a one-trick pony to me. The only tube bass amplifier I am interested in right now is Fender's Bassman 300, but no shops around here carry one.

I also hate the fact that the SVT weighs about 85 pounds without the 110-pound cabinet. Not fun to haul around, and God help you if your gig is upstairs and there's no elevator in the building.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Bassman 300 kicks ass. There was a Sunn 300-T on an Australian bass forum and I offered him the trade for my Mesa and he knocked me back, too heavy. Everyone's jumping on this micro-head bandwagon, I'm not a fan.
The SVT is a little bit one-trick but I know what I want out of it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I would hunt down a used SVT-CL. I don't really see how it's a one trick pony though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?