topic/question is in the thread title.

i personally think its ok but it depends on the music.

for example lately country music has been going to pop country and "hick hop" which i find alittle annoying, only because you hear the same 2 or 3 artists on the radio every day where im at. so i dont really care much for combining genre's like that. though depending on the combination (like hellbilly aka heavy metal country) i find it to be actually good music.

by hick hop i mean stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymy3bfC0i_U

discuss.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
Can be refreshingly creative, or a terrible gimmick that gives incredibly uninspired music some novelty value. When it's done badly, it has nothing interesting to say in either genre and borders on pastiche, with the combination being the only idea anyone seems to have had. When it's done well, it's awesome.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 5, 2011,
Quote by vayne92
Reported for making thread that is of no interest to me.

Go away.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Metalcore/deathcore. I like metal. I like hardcore. You'd think the average band would do something more interesting instead of taking he worst aspects of metal and mixing them with derivative breakdowns.
Quote by vayne92
Reported for making thread that is of no interest to me.

If there were stairs in this place I would push you down them.
People can combine any music they wish and I won't mind one bit.
Man.. that hick hop is catchy stuff. Goddamn you man for sharing such rubbish.
Say goodnight to the world...
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. "

TURBO BASS get.
Last.fm My Original Musics
Quote by Duffman123
If there were stairs in this place I would push you down them.

rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Go listen to Mr Bungle

Combines pretty much everything possible within individual songs

Avant-garde music is mind opening, whilst not everything may appeal to you, there are ideas that are not usually used and can spark inspired new ideas.
I think there are two ways of combining music.

The first is by forcing two genres to come together as a way of trying to be inventive. Such types of music usually end up sounding forced and have value only as novelties, and not really as music in themselves.

The second way is by an artist who is naturally rooted in two genres, and thus the music he or she writes is just a natural outgrowth of his or her musical identity, which just happens includes two different types of music. Thus you have bands like System of a Down, who pretty seamlessly combine various folk genres into their music. They do it so naturally because they aren't really trying to do it, it is just such a part of who they are that its almost impossible for them to not write like that.

You also have bands like The Punch Brothers, who, though primarily bluegrass, seamlessly combine many different elements into their music, such as:
Classical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1NNBf7uVQ4
Progressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-CKeymGPro

etc. into their music, because of their sheer love for all genres, and not particularly because they are trying to force themselves into being "innovative" for the sake of being innovative.

Bottom line: music that is forced usually sounds forced, music that is natural sounds natural. The same goes for combining music genres
Last edited by nmitchell076 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by nmitchell076

The first is by forcing two genres to come together as a way of trying to be inventive. Such types of music usually end up sounding forced and have value only as novelties, and not really as music in themselves.

The second way is by an artist who is naturally rooted in two genres, and thus the music he or she writes is just a natural outgrowth of his or her musical identity, which just happens includes two different types of music. Thus you have bands like System of a Down, who pretty seamlessly combine various folk genres into their music. They do it so naturally because they aren't really trying to do it, it is just such a part of who they are that its almost impossible for them to not write like that.

Bottom line: music that is forced usually sounds forced, music that is natural sounds natural. The same goes for combining music genres

thats what i was referring to by country rap. its alright im fine with combining music but i dont like it when you can tell there trying too hard to have a certain sound. music isnt about forcing yourself to sound a certain way.

Quote by Tazeyo
People can combine any music they wish and I won't mind one bit.
Man.. that hick hop is catchy stuff. Goddamn you man for sharing such rubbish.

thats how i feel but at the same time it kinda gets annoying if every artist combines the same genres together.

and your welcome cowboy troy, chance, and jason aldeans song "dirt road anthem" are all hick hop as well if you liked colt ford.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at May 5, 2011,
it is what is happening today its called a crossover artist, one of the best at it being taylor swift. she is on top 40, country, pop, alternative stations. good for her for figuring that out, that is why she is one of the biggest acts out there. personally i cant stand her music but it is also to some degree how music moves forward.

think of all the old blues guys playing that old music. then you have some 20year olds by the name of page, clapton, beck, hendrix playing these old blues/rockabilly licks through a cranked marshall and bam now we have blues/rock, which turns into rock (what we now call classic rock), zeppelin and sabbath make it hard rock. etc etc. it is good for music and what gives new life to bands and to genres etc.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
On Topic I love when an artist combines genres, it's one of the main reasons I love electronic music. You can combine any genre with electronic music, I have heard jazzy trip-hop, soul house, classical breakcore, reggae dubstep etc.
Quote by nmitchell076

There are also naturally eclectic artists who can take ideas from various genres effortlessly, to achieve whatever their point is, and not make the combination seem like a big thing.

like Devin Townsend, who should be referenced in all threads

EDIT: because I am an evangelical Devin Townsend fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokLH-YRZ1g showtunes/metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCefwkz4HY dance/metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECZEj-mRGI waltz/metal
Last edited by whalepudding at May 5, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding
There are also naturally eclectic artists who can take ideas from various genres effortlessly, to achieve whatever their point is, and not make the combination seem like a big thing.

like Devin Townsend, who should be referenced in all threads

Right, if you look in my edit, I mentioned a band like that, it seems to stem from bands such as that love for all types of music.

As you say, I think it is a good thing as long as the combination itself is not a substitute for musical content. That all serve to further a musical aim, instead of the musical aim itself being "look at me, I can combine two genres together, aren't I cool?"
Quote by k-train

and your welcome cowboy troy, chance, and jason aldeans song "dirt road anthem" are all hick hop as well if you liked colt ford.

I'll check some of them out when I go gun toting in my pick-up truck next time.
Say goodnight to the world...
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. "

TURBO BASS get.
Last.fm My Original Musics
The way the Pit acts about Country music is the same way the Tea Party acts about Free Health Care. The hypocrisy is astounding.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Popcore ftw
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by JustRooster
The way the Pit acts about Country music is the same way the Tea Party acts about Free Health Care. The hypocrisy is astounding.

...Where are the people who are acting this way?
Do you mean a band that plays a certain genre, but with influences of others?

If so then the Wildhearts play Heavy Metal, but mix it with Punk and Pop, and Volbeat play what you describe as Hellbilly (but Wikipedia doesn't ), because they play Metal that is heavily influenced by Country, but there are other influences like Punk and Rock n Roll.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Duffman123
On Topic I love when an artist combines genres, it's one of the main reasons I love electronic music. You can combine any genre with electronic music, I have heard jazzy trip-hop, soul house, classical breakcore, reggae dubstep etc.

I'm guessing that's Venetian Snares? Szamar Madar ftw
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Do you mean a band that plays a certain genre, but with influences of others?

If so then the Wildhearts play Heavy Metal, but mix it with Punk and Pop, and Volbeat play what you describe as Hellbilly (but Wikipedia doesn't ), because they play Metal that is heavily influenced by Country, but there are other influences like Punk and Rock n Roll.

i mean bands that play one type of music (ex: country, classic rock, metal, etc) and combine it with the sounds of other genre's like country metal, rock blues, rap rock, metal core, stuff like that i guess you can say it the way you described it though. all the same really.

and hellbilly is just a term for it not the actual name. it comes from hank williams 3 who calls it cowpunk (country punk) and hellbilly (the country metal)
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I think it all depends on the band & how well they do it. I mean, I think Rage Against the Machine made the whole rock + rap thing work out really well, but I've never really heard any other band do it without it coming off as sort of a novelty.

The Idiot by Iggy Pop is supposed to be like James Brown meets Kraftwerk, and that came out really well.
As long as it's not just a superficial mixture of two or more genres, it's a method that tends to produce some of the best music.
Quote by k-train
i mean bands that play one type of music (ex: country, classic rock, metal, etc) and combine it with the sounds of other genre's like country metal, rock blues, rap rock, metal core, stuff like that i guess you can say it the way you described it though. all the same really.

and hellbilly is just a term for it not the actual name. it comes from hank williams 3 who calls it cowpunk (country punk) and hellbilly (the country metal)

Ok then. I think I'm right in my examples then

EDIT:

Isn't this how a lot of the more recent genres, particularly in metal, have come to be? Like Thrash Metal taking a lot of Punk influence by playing Metal faster, and Nu Metal bands introducing more of a Hip-hop/Electronic aspect to Metal?
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Last edited by SlipknotRule93 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by LastSlayerKing
I'm guessing that's Venetian Snares? Szamar Madar ftw

Yes