Got an Epiphone Les Paul, usually has a set of Ernie Ball 10's on it, fancied a different sound so bought a set of D'Addario 9's. They're on the guitar fine but my high E and B just don't stay in tune. I figure it's something to do with intonation, but I'm not fully sure what it is or how to fix it can someone people advise me?
Thanks
did you stretch them out thoroughly and retune?

edit: about 10 times...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Do you mean before I put them in? I just unwound them and threaded them in, tuned up and my B and high E fail to stay in tune
Maybe you just need to give it some time to settle in. New strings need to stretch and if you didn't do a good job winding them on the posts there may be some slippage until they tighten up.
So theoretically it can sort it self out, what if it doesn't?

Was I right thinking it was intonation?
If you changed string gauge you will need to check and adjust the intonation.
Intonation wont effect how well a string stays in tune.

You need to stretch the strings after theyre put on your gutiar.
Tune the strings to the correct pitch.
Give them some tug and pull to knock them out of tune, retune, rinse, repeat untill it stays in tune after stretching.
but don't actually rinse.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by AJScott
So theoretically it can sort it self out, what if it doesn't?
Basically yes. If it doesn't sort itself out then you've probably wound them wrong on the post and they will continue to slip.
If the guitar isn't in tune at different positions around the neck you have an intonation issue. You might also need a truss rod adjustment.

If the guitar is in tune, but then gradually goes out, as has been said, that is just new strings. Yes, you do need to stretch them. If you don't have locking tuners.

I'd also take a look at the guitar setup guide in the EG section of the forum. There is an excellent guide to stringing in a way that ensures maximum tuning stability