I'm a guitar player but I'm really interested in the drums. I'm into a lot of the rhythm oriented stuff like funk etc. I was wondering about music theory as applied to the drums. I want to read up on that and I dont know where to begin. If there are any online resources that you guys could point out, I'd be very grateful.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Theory applies more to percussion than say, drum set. The drum set wasn't really a thing till the early 1900s and has since grown up with "pop" music, not so much in the "classical" world.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
As far as I know, next to rudiments and drum notation... There's little to nothing at all really. If you can read and understand crotchets and quavers and can read drum notation then that's really about it.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Assuming you don't know already, you could brush up up different time signatures and using accents, to make your playing a bit more interesting.

With drums, its a lot simpler than guitar, theorywise, once you learn how to hold your sticks in a way that is both comfortable and effective, its pretty much down to you to think up beats.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Assuming you don't know already, you could brush up up different time signatures and using accents, to make your playing a bit more interesting.

With drums, its a lot simpler than guitar, theorywise, once you learn how to hold your sticks in a way that is both comfortable and effective, its pretty much down to you to think up beats.

I know that the first beat is the strongest, then weak, strong, weakest in 4/4. I was wondering if there's more to percussion instruments along these lines. I dont know why I love some grooves but not others. I love a syncopated rhythm. Something about the right beat delayed by the right amount gives you that killer feel. Miss that by a hair's breadth and you're ****ed.

I wanted to know more about rhythms I guess, and everything else in between.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

http://freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/
this may seem like its a dumb site just by the name but it will teach you alot about drums and even has a drum theory section that you might want to check it. hope it helps. the lesons are short and to the point which i like. but like every thing practicing the right way makes perfect