I've got a section in a piece for quartet where I want the players to repeatedly fade to nothing, but I can't for the life of me think of a good way to give directions.

The best I could think of is simply writing "sempre al niente", but I can't think of a good way to cancel that direction when it's not supposed to fade anymore. Like this, anyway:

I guess I could maybe do something with dynamic markings and hairpins instead but it'd probably end up extremely cluttered.

If it's unclear what I'm going for I tried recreating it with VSTs: soundcloud

Any input much appreciated!
Decrescendo?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I notate it as a decrescendo with a '>' over the measures that the players need to fade out over, but that is most likely not the correct way to notate it.

What VST's plugin are you using?
I don't understand the problem...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't understand the problem...

I think he wants the players to slowly fade out over the course of all the measures. His question is "Is it correct to simply write sempre al niente or do I need to use a hairpin?".

I had this problem once but exactly the opposite. I simply wrote a mp dynamic marking under all of the staves and wrote "crescendo poco a poco" over the topmost staff. It seems correct to me.

EDIT: Apparently that's not what he means. He means fading out on each measure. If I were you I would simply use a bunch of hairpins. Seems like the simplest solution. To avoid cluttering the score with them you could probably put the hairpins only on the top staff and then write "tutti" over the staff or something (I'm not completely sure how that term is used so it may be incorrect).

Also nice theme you have there. I would love to hear the finished product.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at May 5, 2011,
One big hairpin with a circle on the end over all the bars.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
So you want diminuendo to niente at each measure?

Simplest way is to write p > n at each measure. It is not overly convoluted. However, if this is going to occur repeatedly many times, you can write "simile" after 3 or 4 bars of the dynamics.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
So you want diminuendo to niente at each measure?

Simplest way is to write p > n at each measure. It is not overly convoluted. However, if this is going to occur repeatedly many times, you can write "simile" after 3 or 4 bars of the dynamics.

Ah, right. Didn't at all, for some reason, consider using simile in order to keep it relatively clean. So I take it it's accepted practice to use n in place of typing out niente, then?

Thanks!
N is most common in clarinet performance, since they are one of the only instruments that can truly fade to n or start from n. Everything else really stops on a pp or so.

So if this is for a string quartet you may as well write p > ppp

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana