I have the M Audio Axiom 61 2nd Gen, with directlink tech, so it maps directly to some daw's. However my preferred DAW is Reaper which does not support directlink. So I'm looking for another functional DAW that I can use that is compatible.
These are what's available

Ableton Live 8.0.9 and later
Propellerhead Reason 4.x**
Steinberg Cubase 4.5.2
Steinberg Cubase 5.x***

I'm just curious which of these has the easiest learning curve. I know that they'res gonna be some difficulty no matter what, I'm just looking for the path of least resistance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

There are no easy to use DAWs. If there were easy to use DAWs any old jackoff could record and put real sound engineers out of business.

I reccomend Cubase. Just like Vince from ShamWow says, "It was designed by Germans and you know the Germans make good stuff!"
I use Cubase AI4 and tried other DAWs such as Pro Tools and I preffered Cubase.
..I was watching my death.
Any jackoff already can use Garageband or audacity, but if you're looking for a DAW as opposed to a recording program, there's nothing easy. You can use any DAW as a recording program, but there's no easy-to-learn DAW. Your best bet is buying one that has a TON of documentation (Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Reaper [which is heavily favored on this site]) and then reading up on it before even installing it. Buy a book, they're like... 50 bucks... And looking up tricks online. Once you know how to do backwards echo and momentary delay, you're ready.
He said specifically no Reaper as it does not support Directlink.
Quote by timbit2006
He said specifically no Reaper as it does not support Directlink.

I don't know why my inclusion of Reaper in any way takes away from my assessment of the situation, if anything it's information for anyone else who reads the thread expecting a list of easy-to-use DAWs.
It's fine. I have reaper and a big book on how to use it already, so I'm not lacking there.
Quote:

Interfaception

Is it absolutely crucial to have DAW with Direct Link? I mean, you can map everything in Reaper yourself, and it will work great But if not, Live will probably be next best thing. the only downside - its $300 more expensive than others you listed. But once you get it - its pretty easy to get into
To be honest i know i dont need another DAW. I just want to know the best option in case I get another program. Otherwise, I will just manually map everything.
Quote:

Interfaception

Sorry for what might sound like a newb question, but why do you need direct link?

As far as those versions of Cubase go, you can't buy those anymore. Cubase 6 came out almost six months ago now, which means they stop selling the older versions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
As far as those versions of Cubase go, you can't buy those anymore. Cubase 6 came out almost six months ago now, which means they stop selling the older versions.

CT

I often see Cubase 4 and 5 with the dongle for sale used in the local listings. A local store even still sells Cubase 4 and 5. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a few copies of Cubase 3 left.
im sure m audio has updated drivers for cubase 6
Quote:

Interfaception

I prefer Ableton because I find its workflow to be easy. The window sliders act as a zoom as well and the session view is really helpful for comparing different parts in a track side-by-side. Pretty much everything else is like any other DAW.