Page 1 of 3
I'd expect this more from Boss or EHX, I can't think of any of their products which are copies of Peavey stuff, at least nothing I've heard of.
Bugera dude.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Good. Bugera/Behringer basically made millions off of patented designs they copied. I always wondered why they were allowed to keep doing so.

Quote by Tyler.Allain
So what exactly did Behringer rip off from Peavey? Im not following.

Behringer owns Bugera. Bugera basically copied... everything. Or every popular Peavey amp anyway.
Last edited by Seref at May 5, 2011,
What Behringer products are copies of Peavey products? I haven't seen any
Quote by Saint78
Dude you haven't lived until you've licked chocolate pudding out of a fat ladies back boob.

Quote by Boer Goat
I have never given a golf stack

Congratulations sir.
Quote by Seref
Good. Bugera/Behringer basically made millions off of patented designs they copied. I always wondered why they were allowed to keep doing so.

Behringer owns Bugera. Bugera basically copied... everything. Or every popular Peavey amp anyway.

After youtubing some vids of bugera amps they look and sound similar to a lot of peavey amps. The 6260 looks and sounds a lot like the 6505. Anyone played the "copy" side by side with the peavey before? How do they compare in sound and feel up close and personal?
the bugera 6262/333's etc are just like peaveys except they set on fire and stuff atleast the earlier ones god damn molex's....

trololol
So Peavy is suing Behringer over a PA system? Behringer PA's are crap. Who would claim that they designed them?

EDIT: It's also noted that the lawsuit is not citing Bugera Amplification, which is not a subsidiary of Behringer; Behringer is just a distributer for Bugera.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 5, 2011,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
After youtubing some vids of bugera amps they look and sound similar to a lot of peavey amps. The 6260 looks and sounds a lot like the 6505. Anyone played the "copy" side by side with the peavey before? How do they compare in sound and feel up close and personal?

No need for any of that. They are WIDELY considered clones. 6505/5150 clones, XXX/JSX clones, and they've got a Dual Rec and Mark clone on the horizon.

I guess Peavey got tired of them being so flagrant with it all. Clones are everywhere in the industry, but it's one thing to clone something and another to basically say "hey, get *this sound* for much cheaper with us!"

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by kangaxxter
So Peavy is suing Behringer over a PA system? Behringer PA's are crap. Who would claim that they designed them?

EDIT: It's also noted that the lawsuit is not citing Bugera Amplification, which is not a subsidiary of Behringer; Behringer is just a distributer for Bugera.

No, Bugera is just a division of Behringer. They sue Behringer though so that they can gets more moniez
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by BaffAttack
No need for any of that. They are WIDELY considered clones. 6505/5150 clones, XXX/JSX clones, and they've got a Dual Rec and Mark clone on the horizon.

I guess Peavey got tired of them being so flagrant with it all. Clones are everywhere in the industry, but it's one thing to clone something and another to basically say "hey, get *this sound* for much cheaper with us!"

Damn if they are clones maybe I will pick up the 6260 instead of the 6505 if it will save me the dough. Love Peavey amps but I have a budget.
I bought some behringer monitors thinking... oh they're just some cheap monitors what could go wrong..

year later the volume pots have gone wonky and make it cut out lol!

Thought i'd learn.
Even tho the magician isn't a peavy clone, I really thought they were pushing it when they said " it really reaches the MARK "

Took'en long enough
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Even tho the magician isn't a peavy clone, I really thought they were pushing it when they said " it really reaches the MARK "

Took'en long enough

Heck, they pushed it called the Dual Rec clone the TriRec. Not even in the marketing but right there in the name is a blatant smirky little nod.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Damn if they are clones maybe I will pick up the 6260 instead of the 6505 if it will save me the dough. Love Peavey amps but I have a budget.

Well they're clones with worse quality components and stuff. Bugeras are also asian made while the higher end Peaveys are American made. That sets the price difference.
Quote by Seref
Well they're clones with worse quality components and stuff. Bugeras are also asian made while the higher end Peaveys are American made. That sets the price difference.

Yeah I know. I just want to believe that another company can offer the same high quality amplifier at a lower cost.
they arent suing bugera, because if that was true, why isnt soldano suing peavy.. the 6505 is based on a soldano that eddie van halen had

Peavey filed a lawsuit in 2009 against Behringer in U.S. District Court in New Jersey for patent infringement, federal and common law trademark infringement, false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition relating to, among other things, Peavey’s patented Feedback Locating System. More recently, Peavey filed an action against Behringer in the Southern District of Mississippi, accusing Behringer of infringing a patent relating to the Peavey Messenger® portable sound system.
Quote by effyeahjade
they arent suing bugera, because if that was true, why isnt soldano suing peavy.. the 6505 is based on a soldano that eddie van halen had

Peavey filed a lawsuit in 2009 against Behringer in U.S. District Court in New Jersey for patent infringement, federal and common law trademark infringement, false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition relating to, among other things, Peavey’s patented Feedback Locating System. More recently, Peavey filed an action against Behringer in the Southern District of Mississippi, accusing Behringer of infringing a patent relating to the Peavey Messenger® portable sound system.

Uhm you just took a portion of the article without explaining why you think they aren't suing bugera. What bugera does in building Peavey clones is patent infringement assuming that the amplifiers structures are truly completely similar.
Based on, or cloned? Because it might sound like semantics, but it's a world of difference. It's not like any backroom EE can't open up an amp and then base a homemade amp off that design. But cloning an amp design right down to the mistakes*...well, that's different.

*The 333XL/333 incorporates the same bias testing points as the JSX/XXX. And it doesn't work on the JSX/XXX either, so including it is one of those red flags.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Just to clear this up:

Bugera is not part of Behringer. Both Behringer and Bugera are brands owned by a holding company named Music Group, whose chairman happens to be Uli Behringer.

I know this is legal nit-picking, but I've seen flame wars started over less. If you read the article, you'll notice the lawsuit concerns a whole bunch of companies related to Behringer and Music Group.

Also, who the hell would be surprised by this?
Quote by coolstoryangus

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont like all this crap being said about Bugera cloning Peavey. If you will play a Bugera and a Peavey side by side you will clearly tell a difference. The main difference being that the Bugera catches on fire, something the Peavey does not do. If the Bugera was a clone on a Peavey than im pretty sure it wouldnt catch on fire.
^ Nope, they're pretty blatant clones of pretty well everything.

Come to think of it, I don't think they've made a single original design yet, assuming the V series is a clone of the Crate model with the same name.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Maybe that'll be the defense.

"Look, if we wanted to clone it, don't you think we would have used the exact same construction so we wouldn't have gotten a reputation for catching on fire?"

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I dont like all this crap being said about Bugera cloning Peavey. If you will play a Bugera and a Peavey side by side you will clearly tell a difference. The main difference being that the Bugera catches on fire, something the Peavey does not do. If the Bugera was a clone on a Peavey than im pretty sure it wouldnt catch on fire.

This thread makes me pretty happy. I ****ing hate Behringer/Bugera.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Nope, they're pretty blatant clones of pretty well everything.

Come to think of it, I don't think they've made a single original design yet, assuming the V series is a clone of the Crate model with the same name.

I've heard it was an original design I think, don't have schems to back that up though. Would be a shame if it was a clone, because I really liked the V22/55.
^ I'm probably wrong.

I was under the impression it was the only original design they sported, but I also vaguely remember reading something about it being a Crate clone, so
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
just to add a little balance- peavey, while nowhere near as blatant as bugera, has on occasion cloned, or at least made products "inspired by" other classic amps... windsor springs to mind, and as someone else mentioned, wasn't the 5150 sort-of based on a soldano?

Obviously legally "completely cloned" and "sorta based on" are two different things, but yeah.

though is bugera even being sued? I was too busy laughing at the company based in the british virgin islands... nothing says reputable company like having your headquarters in a tax haven

EDIT: from wikipedia:

"Substantial revenues are also generated by the registration of offshore companies. As of June 2008, 823,502 companies were so registered (of which 445,865 were 'active'). In 2000 KPMG reported in its survey of offshore jurisdictions for the United Kingdom government that over 41% of the world's offshore companies were formed in the British Virgin Islands."

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 5, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
just to add a little balance- peavey, while nowhere near as blatant as bugera, has on occasion cloned, or at least made products "inspired by" other classic amps... windsor springs to mind, and as someone else mentioned, wasn't the 5150 sort-of based on a soldano?

Obviously legally "completely cloned" and "sorta based on" are two different things, but yeah.

though is bugera even being sued? I was too busy laughing at the company based in the british virgin islands... nothing says reputable company like having your headquarters in a tax haven

I agree with how obviously Bugera clones. I have a 6260 myself and I really like it, but having played on it compared to a 6505 its kinda sad how obvious the copying job is. They could have at least changed the control layout a little bit. Or maybe at least not have a name similar. Or..... something. I thought they might have tried to make the cloning less obvoius with the Magician then I look on their site and I saw the Mark comment that a previous poster mentioned.
How about Behringer being HQed on an island off of Madagascar. This comes to mind:

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I kinda wish I could sue Behringer for the mental anguish sustained trying to use one of their Eurorack mixers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I agree with how obviously Bugera clones. I have a 6260 myself and I really like it, but having played on it compared to a 6505 its kinda sad how obvious the copying job is. They could have at least changed the control layout a little bit. Or maybe at least not have a name similar. Or..... something. I thought they might have tried to make the cloning less obvoius with the Magician then I look on their site and I saw the Mark comment that a previous poster mentioned.

i think they're trying to make it obvious that they're clones... that's where their market is, people who can't (or don't want to) afford a 5150 or whatever, but who want something which sounds similar.

I mean I haven't tried any bugeras. Anything that makes more choice for the consumer (within reason, obviously) is good by me.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does the amp need to be a full clone to be accused of copyright infringement? Or can you clone like a part of a circuit (assuming that part was patented) and that would be enough?
Last edited by Seref at May 5, 2011,
i was under the impression (could be wrong) that you couldn't copyright a circuit, but you could copyright a circuit board layout.

Bit like the way you can't copyright a chord progression but you can copyright a song.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think they're trying to make it obvious that they're clones... that's where their market is, people who can't (or don't want to) afford a 5150 or whatever, but who want something which sounds similar.

I mean I haven't tried any bugeras. Anything that makes more choice for the consumer (within reason, obviously) is good by me.

Lol people like me!

They seem to make it obvious yet at times they seem to try and act like its their own original design. I dont like that side of it.
Page 1 of 3