Hey everyone, just a quick question really.

Today, the output of my neck pickup on my Jackson RR3 seems to have increased quite a lot overnight. For some reason, it's pushing my clean channels into overdrive pretty damn quickly, where it never use to do that before. I'm using the exact same settings as I always do, I've not changed a single thing..

I'm not exactly bothered about it I guess, I can just roll back the volume a little bit and get to where I was before, but I was just wondering if there's any reason for this?

TL;DR neck pickup seems to have gotten higher output, why?

Cheers guys
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
your right thats pretty strange...

are you positive its not your amp? that would be more explainable. i dont see how passive pickups would suddenly generate more output without adding more magnetism.

Check your pots too, if a pots gone dead that could possibly cause more output.
I tried with my other guitars, and they're not pushing as hard it seems..

well it's front routed, so i can't open it up to look at the pots, but they affect volume and tone exactly as they should..

like i said, i'm not all that fussed, it's just a bit strange.

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Any chance the pickup got bumped up towards the strings somehow?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Are you using EMG's by any chance?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you using EMG's by any chance?

nope, the neck's a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2, but the bridge (TB4 I think) is acting as it has always been

Quote by tubetime86
Any chance the pickup got bumped up towards the strings somehow?

it's possible i guess? i have no idea if it'd affect it, but it was a lot colder today than has been for the past 3 or 4 days..?

if it's not gone back to what it was like in a day or 2, i'll have a look round my amp and check through everything, and then i'll take the guitar to a tech if it's not sorted by then.

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
nope, the neck's a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2, but the bridge (TB4 I think) is acting as it has always been

Okay, that's really weird then. Haha. Are you running any pedals?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Okay, that's really weird then. Haha. Are you running any pedals?

i know right?

the rig atm is guitar > floor pod > amp

i've tried my other guitars and they're not pushing the clean into overdrive though, that's the thing...

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
The pickup moving would definitely cause that... But I have trouble believing it just moved out like that. If anything I'd believe it got bumped in, but out?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
how hot is it now?

Only think i can think of is that there's a dodgy joint in there, and previously you weren't getting full output but now you are (it's sort of "fixed itself").
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tubetime86
The pickup moving would definitely cause that... But I have trouble believing it just moved out like that. If anything I'd believe it got bumped in, but out?

yeah, that's what i was thinking =[

Quote by Dave_Mc
how hot is it now?

Only think i can think of is that there's a dodgy joint in there, and previously you weren't getting full output but now you are (it's sort of "fixed itself").

errm, not very, probably only 8 or 9 degrees C
that's quite possible, it seems like it would make sense

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
lol, sorry for the confusion, I meant how much output does the pickup have now?

Is it still a fair bit lower in output (by that I don't mean volume, I mean distortion and compression, neck pickups tend to be louder because of the increased string vibration) than the JB in the bridge?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is it still a fair bit lower in output (by that I don't mean volume, I mean distortion and compression, neck pickups tend to be louder because of the increased string vibration) than the JB in the bridge?

Yeah, it's still very noticably lower output
the JB's not changed at all, that's one of the weirdest things..
it would seem to make more sense if both pickups increased their output, because then it would probably be pots or wiring, but I don't get why it's just the neck pup?

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
^a bad soldering joint on the actual pickup or where the pickup is hooked up to the switch wouldnt effect the other pickup.

Though, it shouldnt be overdriving your clean channel regardless, the jazz isnt exactly a hot pickup.
Quote by beckyjc
^a bad soldering joint on the actual pickup or where the pickup is hooked up to the switch wouldnt effect the other pickup.

Though, it shouldnt be overdriving your clean channel regardless, the jazz isnt exactly a hot pickup.

exactly..

if it is a bad soldering joint or something like that, then why's it only just started affecting it?

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
cos maybe it fixed itself, kinda thing. Those sorta cold joints can be temperamental.

That's what my money would be on, anyway.

And yeah I mean the jazz isn't exactly that hot, but it's still a humbucker- it'll overdrive things a lot quicker than a single coil will. Though it should be possible to get cleans out of it too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It can happen randomly, solder joints can become cold, and become cracked. So i supose they could repair themselves in the right conditions. Sudden changes in temperature may effect it.

If you have a soldering iron prehaps try touching up the joints.

Do you have a multimeter? If you do, measure the DC resistance of the pickup, it should be around 7k, if the reading is much different then it would probably indicate something wrong with the pickup. ASFAIK, the only way to increase pickup output is to add more windings and some hotter magnets. And its pretty unlikely theyd randomly fail or magically become hotter.

Have you been atacking your guitar with a magnet? (Maybe you left it on your amp near the speaker magnet, im not sure how likely this is to be the reason, but its an idea..)

Have you tried it straight into your amp without the pod, different cables, all the typical crap?

^Fair point, how much drive are we talking here, but i think that with a low output humbucker and a 50 watt randall you should be getting all the clean headroom you need.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 5, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
cos maybe it fixed itself, kinda thing. Those sorta cold joints can be temperamental.

That's what my money would be on, anyway.

And yeah I mean the jazz isn't exactly that hot, but it's still a humbucker- it'll overdrive things a lot quicker than a single coil will. Though it should be possible to get cleans out of it too.

strange things these pickups are...
ah well, i can still get the cleans i always used to out of it, just need to roll back the volume a touch =3
and if it's not solved in a day or 2, i'll lower the pickup and then hopefully all will be well

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by beckyjc

^Fair point, how much drive are we talking here, but i think that with a low output humbucker and a 50 watt randall you should be getting all the clean headroom you need.

depends where the gain's set, i'd have thought...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
doesn't it have a gain knob?

EDIT: my mistake, it doesn't, but it does have a clean channel volume knob and then overall master volume, so I'm guessing the clean channel volume knob could work like a preamp gain control...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by beckyjc
It can happen randomly, solder joints can become cold, and become cracked. So i supose they could repair themselves in the right conditions. Sudden changes in temperature may effect it.

If you have a soldering iron prehaps try touching up the joints.

Do you have a multimeter? If you do, measure the DC resistance of the pickup, it should be around 7k, if the reading is much different then it would probably indicate something wrong with the pickup. ASFAIK, the only way to increase pickup output is to add more windings and some hotter magnets. And its pretty unlikely theyd randomly fail or magically become hotter.

Have you been atacking your guitar with a magnet? (Maybe you left it on your amp near the speaker magnet, im not sure how likely this is to be the reason, but its an idea..)

Have you tried it straight into your amp without the pod, different cables, all the typical crap?

I've been lurking this thread and this post caught my attention >_> Would messing around with magnets near a guitars pickups change them? I know this is off topic but