Okay so I'm using a Behringer UD100 distortion pedal with a Squier Strat and standard fender amp (can't remember exactly what amp >.>.
What I'm wondering is, how can I get a clean sound if I wanted to play something like One by Metallica, because the pedal seems to require the overdrive on the amp to be on, and also relies on the gain to boost the sound, so even if I do click off the pedal, the distortion is still there, to some extent.

Am I blatantly making a stupid mistake or does this pedal just not really allow for this kind of thing? :S
^Im almost 100% positive that he wasnt asking for your opinion on his kit. :/

erm distortion pedals dont make your tone clean... nor do they require the dist on your amp to be on, unless you want to boost the drive channel with it.

turn the distortion off on your amp, then turn the pedal off.

Voila, cleannn.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 5, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc

You have missed the point. If the only way that he can get a good distorted tone is by having his amp on overdrive channel (which is what I did when I had this EXACT same amp, pedal and guitar, keep that in mind) which sacrifices the cleans, then the gear isn't doing what it should be. Job done.
Quote by Reckoning12
Okay so I'm using a Behringer UD100 distortion pedal with a Squier Strat and standard fender amp (can't remember exactly what amp >.>.

Behringer pedals arent the best. I have a dd100 and a fl400. They dont make the best sound. I use them to make some ok music. It also depends on your amp as some pedals do not work well on some amps.

umm for answering your question. First check your bateries. Behringer pedals kill them fast. 2nd put your amp clean when the pedal isnt on then turn the pedal on. It should make a distorted sound.Well if that doesnt work well go verify everything. Then go to a guitar shop and ask why doesnt it work.
Quote by hawk5211
You have missed the point. If the only way that he can get a good distorted tone is by having his amp on overdrive channel (which is what I did when I had this EXACT same amp, pedal and guitar, keep that in mind) which sacrifices the cleans, then the gear isn't doing what it should be. Job done.

You act like you made some life changing constructive criticism.

Mate, you just told him his stuff is crap, no reasoning, and not even awnsering his question. Im sure hes aware his kit isnt the best.

You canadians and your flappy heads.
Behringer pedals are crap for the most part. I have the UD100 and it works, but it doesn't sound all too great. I would recommend getting something a little more expensive, like a Boss pedal maybe. I can play clean fine though. You shouldn't have to have the overdrive on on your amp. You might need a better amp or better pickups.
Turn the Behringer off, then switch to clean channel of the amp with a footswitch. If you have an amp with a footswitch.
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"
Quote by Reckoning12
What I'm wondering is, how can I get a clean sound if I wanted to play something like One by Metallica, because the pedal seems to require the overdrive on the amp to be on, and also relies on the gain to boost the sound, so even if I do click off the pedal, the distortion is still there, to some extent.

Am I blatantly making a stupid mistake or does this pedal just not really allow for this kind of thing? :S

Short answer no you're not doing anything "wrong" but you do need to get a better amp.

All the pedals in the world can't make a crap amp sound good and you're wasting your money and time even trying.

That unknown fender amp is most likely one of these amps

Frontman 10G
Frontman 15G
Frontman 15R

They're all crap that get's bundled into starter kits. They should also be the first thing you upgrade.

You can get decent modeling amp like the Peavy Vypyr 15.

That will sound 100 times better than what you have for $100.

EDIT:

Quote by beckyjc

erm distortion pedals dont make your tone clean... nor do they require the dist on your amp to be on, unless you want to boost the drive channel with it.

turn the distortion off on your amp, then turn the pedal off.

Voila, cleannn.

Actually TS was asking about his kit. Those starter kit amps are pretty much rubbish...

For someone to outgrow them in short order isn't uncommon at all.

IMHO an inexpensive modeler is the way to go. Because the TS seems to be into metal a Peavy Vypyr 15 is the best frugal choice for a new amp.

If the TS has the budget getting a Vypyr would be a giant leap in gear quality. Rather than trying to get the amp from a starter kit to sound good by getting cheap pedals...

Then the TS can post a NGD
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at May 6, 2011,
Ok thanks all.

Yeah, I'm pretty aware my kit is rubbish but I've not been playing all too long and am having some financial issues atm.

I just found it strange, as without the amp's drive on, the pedal didn't distort the sound, which made it very awkward if I wanted to change from clean to distorted midsong.

But will check again in a mo, thanks for the responses!