Basically I've been looking for a really cheap strat to come along.

Squire doesn't really bother me. I've never owned a start and I don't plan on gigging with it but I found a Squire Bullet Strat for $40

Is it worth $40 it? I'll probably end up modding it or using it as first project guitar in the future anyways.

Is it really as bad as people say?

And for $80 i could get an Affinity
|--Guitars--|
Ovation Condor
Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400
|--Amp--|
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
|--Pedals--|
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss CH-1 Chorus
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Last edited by LemonThumps at May 5, 2011,
Neither are amazing.

You sure you need it now? I reccomend saving up a bit more and getting a higher end Squier. Maybe even a 2nd hand MIM.

But if you had to pick out of the two go for the Affinity. You might be able to milk a decent sound out of it with enough modding. But I wouldn't reccomend either unless you were just starting and this was you first guitar.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
The Affinity Strat is not that much of an improvement over the Bullet. Depending on the year, I'd recommend the bullet. Do you know what year it is? What color is it? Is it hardtail?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Well, generally speaking, the cheaper Squiers are very hit-and-miss-stuff - some of them are absolutely banging, some are absolute crap.

I'd still say paying the extra $40 is a good thing, as you get an actual solidwood body - alder or basswood, even, IIRC - for it, which, IIRC, the bullet ones don't have.

Then again, paying $40 for a guitar - surely nothing can be THAT bad as to leave you regretting?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven

I'd still say paying the extra $40 is a good thing, as you get an actual solidwood body - alder or basswood, even, IIRC - for it, which, IIRC, the bullet ones don't have.

Not true. The only difference between modern Bullets and Affinity Strats is that the Bullet is made out of basswood and is thinner, and the Affinity is made out of alder. Both are still roughly a third thinner than an full size Strat. I believe Affinities also have the option to have a maple fretboard.

Besides that, they are basically identical, except for pre-2007 models. Between 1996 and 2007, Bullets were hardtail and were only available in a few colors. These are the ones you want to avoid (the nineties ones not so much, but the 2006 and 2007 ones were generally poor quality and used sub-par materials) . 1996 Bullets are the most valuable, they were the 50th Anniversary series and are actually built to Fender spec, minus the pickups. Before 1996, Bullets were basically Strats with Tele necks, and are also fairly valuable (like $300-$400US).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi