What exactly is THE best amp for classic Metallica? Stuff like Ride the Lightning, Black Album, Master of Puppets etc.

Really good, eerie cleans...and really good in-your-face-distortion/gains is what im looking for. I DO want some cleans, so no "pure metal" amps (hint hint....peavey 6505)

To sum it all up:

Genre-Metal, Blues, Classic Rock
Budget-900$
City-Louisville Kentucky USA
Preferance-I'd rather buy new, but i suppose i could buy used, if its in good condition

I've been told to check out the Jet City JCA22h (the 2 channel JCA20h) whenever it releases, and i've been told to check out the Randall RT100h...as well as the Carvin V3m. I've looked up reviews on each, and every one of them look really good

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it

EDIT: I also play in a band, and in my bedroom...so it has to be somewhat quiet
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 5, 2011,
I've been told SEVERAL times to wait for the 2 channel JCA20w amp head...apparently it has the good 'ol Soldano SLO100 overdrive circuit...and it only cost 400$ (i believe...either 400$ or 500$)

EDIT: I emailed Jet City about 2 days ago and they told me that the JCA22h releases anywhere from May-July...and to check back in in about 2 weeks and they'll have a better answer for me

EDIT...AGAIN: What kind of boost are you talkin about? Like a MXR GT-OD? I've heard those are pretty sweet, but i've never got to try one out
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
Try one out, or wait for clips with it boosted.
If you like what you hear, pull the trigger.

If i buy it, i'll probably buy a few pedals with it, like a MXR Carbon Copy and a MXR DT-OD for the boost and reverb/delay
Mesa Triaxis. It's what james used until he switched to the vh4. camp ebay or craigslist and they pop up anywhere from $675 to $800.
Quote by rokket2005
Mesa Triaxis. It's what james used until he switched to the vh4. camp ebay or craigslist and they pop up anywhere from $675 to $800.

I'll look for one, Craigslist has a friend in me
You should be able to find a Mesa Mark III in that range, should do the trick.
^ Thats what i've been told before, to try and find a good Mesa Mark 3...theres one on craigslist near me for 650$ and i've called the guy, i swear, 10 times in the past month trying to get him to sell it to me, but he keeps saying no, he wants to hold out for a better offer...even after i told him i'd pay 900$ for the damn thing
Quote by Shabadoo
You should be able to find a Mesa Mark III in that range, should do the trick.

that should be THE amp recommended . Mesa boogie mark IIC+ is very expensive but the mark III can be found at good price .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
^ Thats what i've been told before, to try and find a good Mesa Mark 3...theres one on craigslist near me for 650$ and i've called the guy, i swear, 10 times in the past month trying to get him to sell it to me, but he keeps saying no, he wants to hold out for a better offer...even after i told him i'd pay 900$ for the damn thing

Have you tried checking the Guitar Centre used page? Should be able to find one on there, I'm sure they'd either ship it directly to you or your local GC.
IMO you're going to want a Mesa Boogie Mark III black stripe, it's the closest thing to the IIC+ you can get. Would be the best thing for the Master of Puppets tones.

Black Album would be a Mark IV, but good luck getting one for less than a grand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by f0xy

I like how the Blackstar had by FAR the best tone out of those, especially clean...and the overdrive sound literally nailed the Metallica tone. But apparently Blackstar sounds bad.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
I like how the Blackstar had by FAR the best tone out of those, especially clean...and the overdrive sound literally nailed the Metallica tone. But apparently Blackstar sounds bad.

Literally nailed the tone? It actually took a nail and drove it through .......... tone?
Good trick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Literally nailed the tone? It actually took a nail and drove it through .......... tone?
Good trick.
Yeah literally nailed it. I think the tone may have to go get a tetanus shot or something.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by rokket2005

Good suggestion, but TS, keep in mind that the Triaxis is just a preamp. You need a power amp to run with it or you won't be able to drive a cab.
Quote by littlephil
Good suggestion, but TS, keep in mind that the Triaxis is just a preamp. You need a power amp to run with it or you won't be able to drive a cab.

AH. i did not know that. Ya, im looking throughout my local used things (Craigslist, Ebay, GC)...HOPEFULLY i can get a Mesa Mark IV or III for a good price
Quote by Ayses

lol, i know what you mean.....i'll go back and watch it again a few times just to get a feel for the sound...

For the longest time i've had my eyes on the Blackstar HT-60 Soloist, but my GC doesnt have one...and i've heard alot of mixed reviews
^ Pretty much any amp will have mixed reviews. Seemingly "perfect" $2000+ amps will have a ton of praise and then someone will come in and say "the high end is so harsh and icepicky even when i changed guitars and threw in an EQ pedal, been playing for 40 years and this amp is terrible."

It just happens. The Blackstar HT series amps are great. For their price and features (2 channels with independent EQ, master volume, fx loop, built in professional-quality reverb, included footswitch, huge tonal range) they can't really be beat. Not to mention that (imo) they have generally great tone.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
paperjamz ampz
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by Ayses
^ Pretty much any amp will have mixed reviews. Seemingly "perfect" $2000+ amps will have a ton of praise and then someone will come in and say "the high end is so harsh and icepicky even when i changed guitars and threw in an EQ pedal, been playing for 40 years and this amp is terrible."

It just happens. The Blackstar HT series amps are great. For their price and features (2 channels with independent EQ, master volume, fx loop, built in professional-quality reverb, included footswitch, huge tonal range) they can't really be beat. Not to mention that (imo) they have generally great tone.

but they can and are, especially when your willing to go 2nd hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Carvin V3

Ride the Lightning/Kill 'em all= classic mode
Master of Puppets/And Justice/Black= Thick mode
For cleans use the classic clean (vs. the bright or Soak modes)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The point of the videos was for you to use your own ears and see which of the four amps you like most, it's not that it needs to be one of those four, they're just four choices upon which you can single out after hearing them. Tastes differ
Quote by Tom 1.0
but they can and are, especially when your willing to go 2nd hand.

So say, i wanted an all around good amp...would the Blackstar HT-60 Soloist be good? I just want an amp that will give REALLY good cleans and beastly gains...if need be, i'd buy a pedal or two to acheive these tones

EDIT: By "these tones" i mean:

Metal-Like Metallica (not INSANE amounts of gain, but just enough to get the job done)

Blues-Like Eric Clapton-ish with SRV

Classic Rock-Like The Eagles (My Favorite band of all time)

again, if need be...i'd be willing to buy a pedal or two to get these tones...
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 6, 2011,