Hey y'all, fist post ever on this board.

I'm in a band with my best friends since last summer. It's a lot of fun but I have ONE problem:

Since we started, nobody EVER told me "hey that part was a little off, you should try it again", or "that didn't sound right, try like this" etc. You know ?

It's really starting to PISS ME OFF. How the hell am I supposed to know if I suck or if I'm doing it right ??

The irony is that it is me who always criticises the others, on guitar parts for example, I tell the guitarists that "you need to work on the solo" or "you were completly off time there".

I told them several times "GUYS, how's the vocals ?? Am I doing any good or what ?" And all they tell me is "yeah it's good!" or "yeah don't worry it's cool!".

We know eachother for years, they know I'm not going to cry about it. So it's not personal!

This is bullshit.
Has this ever happened to anyone ?
Last edited by alans056 at May 5, 2011,
honestly I find it difficult to give critisism to the singer just because I can't sing any better, and I feel like theres gotta be a bit more stressing since he don't have an instrument to hide behind like the rest of us...

also it may be a possiblity that they don't notice when you mess up because they are paying too much attention to their own part. or maybe they don't like when you criticise them, and they are being nice by not doing it to you

but I would handle it by telling them that you really want honest critisism because that is the only way you'll know what you are doing wrong....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Ugh I know exactly what you mean, pisses me off no end! I guess it is more difficult to criticise a singer. As a guitarist I can hide behind my instrument, it's a separate thing, but as a singer it's using a part of me, which is a much bigger deal in my opinion.

If you're close enough with your band then tell them it's annoying you! Or, you could just be that awesome :P

Quote by paranoid joker
yes. omfg. yes. lol frustrating to say the least.

Dude, that was the most helpful, inspiring comment I have EVER read on UG, thank you so much for enlightening my life
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Thanks everyone for answering. But you know its kinda embarassing when your constantly telling the bandmates "hey how are the vocals ? blablabla"

I don't know... I'd like them to criticise me without me telling them to !! UGH.

And on top of that, we only play covers. So it's even EASIER for them to criticse the vocals because they can compare...
sometimes it's still difficult because you may be sick or something and they may be afraid to offend you....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
It's probably because they dont know anything about vocal technique etc.
So if the vocals are pleasent for them, theres nothing more they can add.
In my "band" (just a bunch of friends) we are all singers, so it's easy to give criticism to the main vocalist.
to someone who knows what they're talking about, they could say that you're a bit flat here or you missed the note there, but otherwise they'd feel uncomfortable commenting if they don't know what to advise. It's a tough one I guess, but you gotta tell them to say what they're thinking, make them criticise you :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..