Page 3 of 14
Yea, it's good though. Once I pay mom back the 250 for the walnut SS's hardware I'm going to save up for a drill press and some more clamps....I'll probably get those for xmas/bday in november though, lol.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I need 2 24" aluminum bar clamps that are $30, and 5-10 normal bar clamps (12" and 24") that a 14/17$ from leevalley. Not to mention the hundreds of other dollars worth I could use, but it should all come with time.
Me neither.
I want/need more hand tools (spokeshave, drawknife, chisels,files, saws etc), some router bits, clamps, sand paper rolls, sharpening stones, some safety gear (probably first, you only get 2 eyes and ears in your life), and power tools (drill press, spindle sander, band saw) but we'll see in what order I deem them to be needed. Shit defiantly isnt cheap.
hey guys, been a while for this thread, but its still where i'll be tossing random photos.

so i took some updated pics of a few of my guitars, including how my tele is aging naturally =]
how the legocaster has aged naturally (its seen a lot of gigs and bad transportation.. but.. she is what she is)

and some new shots of old guitars. + another shot proving how awesome james is at wiring stuff.

I like the Legocaster's new shape better than the original one, actually. It's almost like a Mustang or Jazzmaster, but not quite either. Very cool. I also like the little dude hanging in the pickup cavity, lol.
Quote by Jason Jillard
hahah yeah, the pickup broke.. so instead of buying a new pup i soldered a lego man inside.

when i play it i still miss that bridge position, but.. the lego guy is awesomee

It's like phil-x in reverse! Also, I love the look of that les paul, very hand made looking.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's like phil-x in reverse! Also, I love the look of that les paul, very hand made looking.

ahaha yeah, he has wolverine stuck into the neck cavity.

speaking of phil x, the guy whos teaching me to build acosutics (loucin guitars)

built a 6 string acoustic for phil. and is currently building him a 12 string. its pretty awesome to watch it come to life.
Hey jason, i was randomly browsing your website, and i was very interested by the heel of the empress series. how di you did that? do you have any shoot of the neck before gluing? really like the idea of such neck, the high frets acces must be a breeze. Altough, the tenon seems pretty samll from what i observed.
yeah, i have to rework that whole idea... so far the pro's havn't outweighed the one con of structual integrity.

although, it held up perfectly fine until i sat on it by accident. after that it hasn't been able to be glued in properly again.

it would work fine with a deep set neck tho.. like i said, just needs to be re-worked a little. but yeah.. its super comfortable.
hey guys! so, im building a 5 string fanend fret bass for myself... having trouble deciding on a color scheme.

heres the full scale drawing

it will ahve one humbucker, some cool wiring and silver hardware. made from a 2 peice alder body (grain is just meh)

so far my ideas that im tossing around are:

metallic red, with wenge+bloodwood 5 peice neck, ebony fretboard
metallic red, with flamed maple+bloodwood 5 piece neck, flamed maple fretboard.

metallic purple, with wenge/purpleheart 5 piece, ebony fb
metallic purple, with flamedmaple/purpleheart, flamed maple fb

metallic white, wenge+flamed maple 5 piece, ebony fb
metallic white, flamed maple+purplehear neck, purpleheart fretboard

black, flamed maple+wenge neck, flamed maple fb

metallic blue, 5pc flamed maple neck, flamed maple fb

or.. anything cool you guys can think of.

i'm pretty sure its not in the budget for super fancy woods.. but im not 100% on that yet.
i'm pretty set on metallic. jsut like.. how cars are metallic.. not like glitter or anything.

only thing i'm worried about with purple is the bass looking too feminine.

i'm a pretty small dude, jsut want to make sure it doesn't make me look girly =P

but purple would look good on this bass

anyone else?
That really depends on the shade of purple. Imo there's few finishes more badass than a really deep purple burst, like this one
But if it's a lighter purple, then yeah, it might look feminine.
Hey jason, I know this is kinda random. But whatever happened to the Uke tele you were making? I stumbled across the thread a while back, and it just kinda stops haha. I didnt wanna necrobump so I thought id ask here.
Quote by PsiGuy60
I'll probably end up as a pipe-smoking, headbanging 55-year-old.

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666
Talk..........to.......girls?????

I thought they were only good at sucking dick and making sammiches

^^^ truth
Quote by Jason Jillard
yeah that build jsut kind of died unfortunatly.. wasn't turning out the wya i wanted it and other builds took priorety.

and i agree purple CAN be b.a im jsut worried abotu it on this more elegant body design.

Well thats a bummer, I found that to be a pretty epic idea.
Quote by PsiGuy60
I'll probably end up as a pipe-smoking, headbanging 55-year-old.

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666
Talk..........to.......girls?????

I thought they were only good at sucking dick and making sammiches

^^^ truth
Idk, elegant isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe that body shape. I think a deep purple would look awesome on that bass. Although looking through your other ideas, I think that the one with a purpleheart fretboard would look sick as well - that's definitely not something you see every day.
anyways, i think i've decided to go metallic red, flamed maple+bloodwood neck. flamed maple fretboard.. jsut the classic bass look.

although the purple is really cool, i'm not putting a flametop on this one, so it jsut doesn't fit.

and i need to keep in mind to keep this one in a way that it might sell the most when finished, if needed. there will be more builds in the future that can be purple boys.

alright, on a new and different and important note, big things are happening with Jillard Guitars.

as you guys know, i've just finished a build for Said The Whale, and they will be playing it for the first time on dec.8th, opening for tokyo police club.

with this new step into the bigger world, i am in need of a company re-boot, so some big changes are coming.

firstly, my website is being overhauled into something more user friendly.

i am working hard at getting other bands to notice me, via twitter, word of mouth, and my new drive at contacting guitar magazines,websites, record labels etc.

thirdly (and this si the big one) a price overhaul. and this is where i want to hear some input.

(without discussing my prices very specifically, due to forum rules)

I am headed into a direction where i will have 2 categories of guitars.

1. The performer: A solid, simple, reliable guitar. made with the same Jillard attention to quality, with sturdy hardware and handwound pickups. These guitars are made to gig.

Pros: more affordable price
awesome quality

Cons: limited customization

a choice between 3 body shapes. 3 body woods, 3 fretboard woods, and 3 neck woods.
limited choice of stain+paint options

2. The unlimited

This guitar has no limits. any wood combinations, any body shape, any construction type, any inlays, any finish, any pickups. anything.

Pros: personalized Dream guitar

Cons: Competitive pricing with other major companies

and heres the question:

Do you guys enjoy the idea of having a more affordable Jillard guitar option, at the exchange of having the unlimited's price range increase?

this (in my opinion) is allowing the guitarist looking for a midrange priced guitar, to get a Jillard that is built for them. it also allows me to offer my unlimited guitars as jsut that.. unlimited, for the person who is already in the market for a custom.

let me know if i'm being an idiot guys, thanks for those that actually read all this mumbo jumbo
As far as a midrange-priced guitar, I'm sure you'll sell more, and get more orders. I cant say I'm a huge fan of all the shapes you've done, but you have definitely constructed some very beautiful instruments that, if I had the money, I'd take a look at.

So as far as a company expansion dealio you've got happening, what you're getting at seems to be an appropriate next step in the process.

edit: I'd also like to note that I'm unbelievably jealous of your resources for building, because I live reasonably close to where you do and wish I had the money to do a couple more.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I think having a couple of mid range prices is important, and will bring more attention to the work your doing. It'll certainly ensure you arn't turning away potential customers when they look at your custom price and don't want to pay that much. Diversity is good, go for it dude

Chur
Quote by ma_tt11

edit: I'd also like to note that I'm unbelievably jealous of your resources for building, because I live reasonably close to where you do and wish I had the money to do a couple more.

well, maybe when spring comes you should come by and see my 'shop' and get an idea on how you can get there.. basically i worked for 6 or so months and took all the money and poured it into tools, that and a lot of my highschool random money.

and thanks for the input guys, just wanted to make sure i was on the right track,

as for the body shapes for the performers, so far im thinking this

Flattop LP, and Flattop LP double cut, with either 1 p90 or 1 humbucker. wraparound bridge.

telecaster style, with 2 single coil (tele) pickups. modern tele bridge.

and i want one more style, probably something more unique.. may have to get the drawing board out
I think the more afordable line is a great idea. What i would do is i was you is one vintage-oriented shape, one made for mostly metal, and a third one wich would be just a classic look, with a modern twist. Just my two cents, do whatever you want with them^^ BTW, I hope anther big artist will contact you soon, dude you deserve it.
Quote by Jason Jillard
well, maybe when spring comes you should come by and see my 'shop' and get an idea on how you can get there.. basically i worked for 6 or so months and took all the money and poured it into tools, that and a lot of my highschool random money.

and thanks for the input guys, just wanted to make sure i was on the right track,

as for the body shapes for the performers, so far im thinking this

Flattop LP, and Flattop LP double cut, with either 1 p90 or 1 humbucker. wraparound bridge.

telecaster style, with 2 single coil (tele) pickups. modern tele bridge.

and i want one more style, probably something more unique.. may have to get the drawing board out

definitely go with the flat-top lp, the first one you did was a beauty
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
The affordable mid range and having a full custom to order idea is REALLY awesome, but would someone be able to let's say get a mid range one and pay a little more to upgrade per say, the wood it's made from to something else or will it be just always be the same solid wood??
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Heilz
The affordable mid range and having a full custom to order idea is REALLY awesome, but would someone be able to let's say get a mid range one and pay a little more to upgrade per say, the wood it's made from to something else or will it be just always be the same solid wood??

uhmm.. to an extent but not really. i would probabaly upgrade something liek control layout, swap a bridge type, or change the tuners.

but if i start offering to many upgrade options like exotic woods, then theres no reason anyone would buy an unlimited, beacause they would get basically the same thing by upgradeing a preformer.
Quote by Jason Jillard
uhmm.. to an extent but not really. i would probabaly upgrade something liek control layout, swap a bridge type, or change the tuners.

but if i start offering to many upgrade options like exotic woods, then theres no reason anyone would buy an unlimited, beacause they would get basically the same thing by upgradeing a preformer.

in the same regard though, you might possibly be turning away potential customers because they want something different.

perhaps offer those shapes at that base level, and then offer the ability to upgrade certain aspects of them, wood, hardware, general wiring etc (for more money of course). but they still have the standard body shapes, standard finishes, standard pickups (even though all of your standard things are of an amazing quality to begin with)

and then the unlimited style is really more for different body shapes, complete customization etc, all types of finishes, whatever they want in the wiring, anything else really.
Last edited by Doonan at Nov 17, 2011,
What will happen to the Emprise body design if you go ahead with this idea? Would it just be one of the peformer guitars? Or is it discontinued?
Mmmm how about you give the empress it's own area, make a standard ver and a custom per specs ones (unlimited) or probably as you said might make it a junior but for the love of God please dont call it Empress Junior, there's something wrong after reading that :/

Thing is, you need to decide what makes your 'standard' range standard. Figure out what you'll allow people to select as options, and whether you can give them more on a case-by-case basis(like if they want more customisation, then they can email you with what they want, and you can tell them that it can be done, and give an estimate of cost/time, or not.
This will allow you to keep the time between getting an order and shipping it down for 'standard', and to hopefully give people an accurate estimate of time for 'specials', since a reputation for delivering on time(and remember this allows you to decide what that means for special orders) is always a good thing for a business to have.
Just my opinion, though.
yeah yeah for sure.

like i previously said, these standards, will have a few customizeable options.

but some things that will not be available on a standard are things like:

custom body design
neckthrough construction
hollow body (unless i release a standard that is SPECIFICALLY hollow body)
fancy/exotic woods
drop tops
complex inlays.

wanting any of those things will mean you are now in the area of an unlimited build.

notice how those things are not things that effect the quality or playability of an instrument. they are are mostly visual things. the standards are there for the people who want a instrument that they can trust, gig with, and have as a reliable guitar, without breakign the bank.

Unlimited are for people who want all that, are able to spend a bit more money, and want it to be a one -of. People who want every detail to be chosen by them. but still at a cost less than most STOCK gibsons or prs 24's.
You see Jason, now apple is going to release a product called iDig, just because of how much i like your idea for this

I know for a fact that in a year or two i will have one o two guitars built by you to replace the ones i have now. Just gotta get that new job on march and save some