Page 4 of 14
Quote by Jason Jillard
yeah yeah for sure.

like i previously said, these standards, will have a few customizeable options.

but some things that will not be available on a standard are things like:

custom body design
neckthrough construction
hollow body (unless i release a standard that is SPECIFICALLY hollow body)
fancy/exotic woods
drop tops
complex inlays.

wanting any of those things will mean you are now in the area of an unlimited build.

notice how those things are not things that effect the quality or playability of an instrument. they are are mostly visual things. the standards are there for the people who want a instrument that they can trust, gig with, and have as a reliable guitar, without breakign the bank.

Unlimited are for people who want all that, are able to spend a bit more money, and want it to be a one -of. People who want every detail to be chosen by them. but still at a cost less than most STOCK gibsons or prs 24's.

*is looking at his bank account, and mourning the effect of the recent death of his PC*
well, i got to work on that multiscale bass neck today.

fm/bloodwood/fm/bw/fm

its all covered in glue and stuff...

and i made these.. master templates for the Jr style Jillard guitars! just need to do the control cavity parts of them.

i also made a master neck template out of plexi.. all the preformer guitars will share a common neck/neck pocket, except maybe the tele style.

also, me and my buddy covered 'pumped up kicks' chekc it out and share it around. hes pretty talented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0MaGMjNq9c&feature=feedu
Last edited by Jason Jillard at Nov 26, 2011,
OH, also, some of you may remember this strat i made a while ago.. fanned fret.

yeah, im rebuilding it completly. this time with proper woods and finish and new pickups =]

here is the old one, pictured infront of the first drawing of the new plan.

scale length is 26.25 on top, 25 on bottom. for a nice gentle fan. if it were a 7 string, i would bring it up to 27 on top probably. but its not.. i only have 6 bridges here...

and here is the new body rough cut. 2 piece alder. still going to go with solid white finish+gold hardware. flush mount straplocks. (as with all my personal guitars here on out... that way i only need 1 strap.. and gives me an excuse to buy a reallly nice strap. =P)

so.. just another thing thats going on in my shop these days.
All of my jealousy.....you must be done school by now, or have a wicked amount of free time. I try to work on them, but highschool just takes the energy out of you and weekends are just to recover.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
ah ok, makes sense. Im debating the need for after high school, maybe for woodworking at the college. I dont like the sounds of tuition and debt.
lol yeahh..

question for ya guys.

do you think its overly weird to have a set neck guitar, with a 1 inch thick heel? (instead of the usual 1.5 or w.e

theres nothing wrong with it structurally, im jsut thinking for the preformers, having a 1 inch thick heel would save me a tonne of money. i could do a stacked heel for the same price.. but not sure how i feel.

but thats a decent question

tldnr

would you rather a 1 inch thick set neck heel, or a stacked set neck heel?
In a way that will make the guitar feel faster just by looking at it. And as said i do also believe a lot of neckthrough are made with a 1 inch heel and you haven't really heard anyone complain about it, heck Jason you say that's for the jr. but i would take even a regular from you with a 1 inch heel anytime even if you think it's wierd hehe
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
well. i bought a new handplane and another router today. havn't actually opened the router..

but, i did a couple scarf joints today with the handplane.. much prefer it to using the belt sander.

but i also ruined a 100 year old maple neck blank (one peice, tele style) i was cutting the headstock thickness, and my bandsaw blade decided to cut on a diagonal.. so even tho i was nailing the pencil amrk on the top, it was off by a half inch on the bottom -.-

looks like i need to rethink my bandsaw set up.

not to sweat tho, i ahve lots more 100y/o maple still. this was a pretty nice blank tho >=\
That sucks man. See you've been making some changes to your business setup while I've been away a months worth of back posts is hard to keep up with though :/
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
lol. yeah.. things are kinda constantly changing around here.. still a new business so im trying to find where i fit in with the world, and working out how to best start making some more profit. I'm now at the point where there arent many tools i need to purchase.. only one i can think of atm is a thickness sander.. but that can't happen until i have a larger shop area anyways.

so.. its all an adventure.
I'm still working out of my mother's shed (not so easy considering I don't live there any more) which is a 10x6ft overlap wood box basically, and I now have to somehow fit a lathe in there having fallen in love with wood turning on my recent tour of the states
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
got some stuffs done today.

heres a shot of a couple scarf joints i set up today. mahogany and flamed ash.

then, the other day i ahd this awesome idea for a guitar. so i drew it out and stuff, then some punk kid on a skateboard came in and stole my drawings.. then he drove of in a delorian.

whatever, i'll jsut build it anyways.

=]

binding channel

control cavity

also on the go today, i got the 3 bodies sanded

new Jr style Preformer :

the empress is getting a makeover: flamed ash

and the new fanned fret strat, alder. also got the cavities roughed out.

finished the day off by routing the round over on all the bodies. 1/4 inch on everything but the strat, which is 3/4 i think.

Last edited by Jason Jillard at Dec 5, 2011,
27 frets? Metal oriented? Made by Jillard?

ME WANTSSSS TO SEE AND HEAR!!!!!

This, and maybe another performer with two Sc to counter balance the p-90of the LP Jr and the super hot Hb of the empress. A tele influenced thing, classic voiced. It would make a pretty complete lineup.
Quote by Jason Jillard

then, the other day i ahd this awesome idea for a guitar. so i drew it out and stuff, then some punk kid on a skateboard came in and stole my drawings.. then he drove of in a delorian.

Really?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
This, and maybe another performer with two Sc to counter balance the p-90of the LP Jr and the super hot Hb of the empress. A tele influenced thing, classic voiced. It would make a pretty complete lineup.

yeah, the plan is for a tele-style one.

@leon... do you not know what im referencing?
Quote by Jason Jillard
a simplistic preformer guitar created for extreme playability and fret access, with a super hot humbucker.

volume, coil tap and kill switch.

That makes sense. Not really my thing, but I understand why now, and the pics you've put up look really sweet. I like this idea of the performer series, too... You may have said this before, but do you have a rough price point? I could definitely see myself getting a jr, I've always wanted a p90 guitar.
is it from High fidelity? Only movie I can think of where skater punks steal shit
Quote by nowa90
is it from High fidelity? Only movie I can think of where skater punks steal shit

this is hurting a lot..

there were like.. so many references in my sentence.

punk kid with skateboard- mclfy
drove off in a delorian - the delorian from bttf
the guitar itself is in the movie

AND the fact that i did not actually design it, but maybe i did, and he just went back in time and gave my plans to the other guy.

dun dun dun.. im so tired.

jsut got home from work.. i work over 40 hours within 3 days this week. its nutz.
i love back to the future!! i grew up on those movies but i really like the body designs for the series. my only input is that there should be a semi hollow one. (i may have just glanced over it and didn't see it so if there is be nice )
well I herp derped, I have seen all of the BttF movies though....
Alright, il get the ball rolling with some things ive been working on the past year. Due to my current work situation things have been slower than normal, but i feel i still had a productive year, between the empress, cal's bass, lee's guitar, the lp jr, and loads of jigs and new tools.
Quote by kiaba94
i love back to the future!! i grew up on those movies but i really like the body designs for the series. my only input is that there should be a semi hollow one. (i may have just glanced over it and didn't see it so if there is be nice )

no, there wont be a semi hollow preformer series. semi hollow (or anything with a separate top for that matter) brings it into the realm of an unlimited.

again, if i offer TOO many options with the performers, then nobody would feel the need to upgrade to a unlimited. this way, i cover both markets well.
I agree Jason, Semi-Hollow, and Hollow's should be all to the unlimited side, plus it's a bit harder to make it Hollow IMO.

Other than that, hope your company spikes up after building the Said The Whale Les Paul and expecting to see more great builds from you man, i'm actually writing down what would make my personal guitar perfect for when my time comes next year you can build it :3