Page 1 of 2
I've been trying to start a band since I was like 14. I am now 18 and have been in one band and that lasted for only 4 or 5 months(i left cause i hated the direction they were going in).

I don't ask for much. I really don't. I would just buy equipment and record solo stuff(i have enough money to) but I want to play live. I wanna get out there and have fun. I may listen to some odd music, but I mean...if Odd Future, King Crimson, and Melt Banana can start bands/groups then why can't I?

It's just getting me down. I'm going to college in a few months for music theory. I just always hoped to be in a band by now. Kinda in a funk.

How could I start a band? Craigslist hasn't helped(keep getting like 30 year olds who want to play music totally different than what i specify in the ad), and going to shows doesn't either :P

WHAT DO
What direction were they going in?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
There's more to life than being in a band. Putting all your resources into that will do nothing but let you down.

Step one: Lower your expectations.
Step two: Get a job, school, project, or other investment in your future that your band is second to.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
maybe ull find more people a college since your 18, unless ur in college or that your going to college or univ.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Stick with what you want out of it. Dont lower your expectations like the others said, It will start to piece together it just takes time.

What genre btw?
Wow. I was sure the first reply would be "what you really need is a new amp".

Oh well.
Be a solo artist and get some recordings, and talk to your local radio station and see if they'll play your music. After that move to a city and gig reguraly and see where it goes from there. If you find a band to join and you like it, join it.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by smokeysteve22
Stick with what you want out of it. Dont lower your expectations like the others said, It will start to piece together it just takes time

Nope, invest in your future, and have your band be the hobby. You won't be happy if your #1 priority in life is your band. They'll let you down.
-Jim Morrison
make backing tracks and then play live by your self.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
make backing tracks and then play live by your self.

Yeah, this. Solo recording is an incredibly rewarding hobby.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Nope, invest in your future, and have your band be the hobby. You won't be happy if your #1 priority in life is your band. They'll let you down.

Unless you want to play music for the rest of your life. If you like your number one priority, then he will be happy in a band. I'm sorry, I didn't know that there was some new hapiness standard to conform to.
hey ive done it.
i used my friends boss looper to play a show that i got asked to do.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Yes this. but dont lower your expectations of what you want the band to be. Dont let it be your primary objective though. (like i have....)
I know it sucks, but this is the plight every musician faces at some point. Good bands are harder to make than good music.

If you love it keep at it. There are a thousand and one reasons not to throw in the towel, but it's gotta be your choice.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by due 07
Wow. I was sure the first reply would be "what you really need is a new amp".

Oh well.

Thank God it wasn't. That is one meme that got super annoying, super fast.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yeah, this. Solo recording is an incredibly rewarding hobby.

The feeling is multiplied after 2 years worth of procrastinating and scribbling down the odd riff.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

This.

Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Be a solo artist and get some recordings, and talk to your local radio station and see if they'll play your music. After that move to a city and gig reguraly and see where it goes from there. If you find a band to join and you like it, join it.

And also this.
Quote by goest
The feeling is multiplied after 2 years worth of procrastinating and scribbling down the odd riff.

Indeed... I've had riffs and simple songs in my head for a long time, actually being able to play rhythm, bass and lead yourself allows you much more freedom than a band does. It allows you to be a perfectionist.
-Jim Morrison
Go acoustic.

Or, this is a thought I've had for a while, but I don't know if it'd work. Get a drum machine, there's your drummer. You play guitar and sing (or go instrumental, doesn't matter). Now for the part I'm not sure about. You could use an octave pedal to make your guitar sound like a bass, then loop it while you play guitar, so it's like you have both sounds. You could also use a keyboard to loop sounds, keep it near you. When you're playing guitar, loop the keyboard, or using the keyboard, loop the guitar. Kind of complicated, but it would let you have your one-man band, and you could probably come up with some interesting shit Just a thought.
Quote by IommiPage
Go acoustic.

Or, this is a thought I've had for a while, but I don't know if it'd work. Get a drum machine, there's your drummer. You play guitar and sing (or go instrumental, doesn't matter). Now for the part I'm not sure about. You could use an octave pedal to make your guitar sound like a bass, then loop it while you play guitar, so it's like you have both sounds. You could also use a keyboard to loop sounds, keep it near you. When you're playing guitar, loop the keyboard, or using the keyboard, loop the guitar. Kind of complicated, but it would let you have your one-man band, and you could probably come up with some interesting shit Just a thought.

I personnaly use beatcraft for the drum, and I borrow the bass of a friend to record the bass ( line in ). The guitars are recorded with a mic in front of my amp in my wardrobe. I also record the keybord with a MIDI cable straight to the mixer. I find alot of pride into doing my atmospheric dark folk metal myself. I can't seem to mix everything correctly, but at least I capture the sound I want and manage to record it on audacity.

I'm saying this because I was in a similar situation TS. and going solo was the best decision I could make. I'm still starting but well, if I never start I'll never get anywhere near done.

And with time I joined a black metal band, but I kept my solo project a solo project, simply because I want to do my own thing. The idea of others can be good, but I prefer to have comments on my songs rather than a band member who wants to change something I like. Solo; there is no compromise, only perfectionnism
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Going through the same thing man. You're not alone. It's hard trying to find kids my age 15-18 ish who are into SRV, Hendrix, Zep, Floyd, CSNY, etc. All anyone wants to play is f***ing shitty deathcore screamo. Makes me cringe...
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
Going through the same thing man. You're not alone. It's hard trying to find kids my age 15-18 ish who are into SRV, Hendrix, Zep, Floyd, CSNY, etc. All anyone wants to play is f***ing shitty deathcore screamo. Makes me cringe...

Actually, I know a ton of kids that play in that vein as well as the deathcore screamo-ey music. It's kids that play the stuff in between that are hard to find.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Learn to play the fog machine.

But seriously, go acoustic or put up adverts in local guitar stores/rehearsal studios

Quote by bingeandletgo
Actually, I know a ton of kids that play in that vein as well as the deathcore screamo-ey music. It's kids that play the stuff in between that are hard to find.

Well, around where I live, it's all screamo. I know one kid who is huge into the same style I am-classic rock/hard rock/blues etc. and we jam on occasion when he's in town, but he lives several hours away so that sort of defeats the opportunity of being in a band with him, you know? As far as being in between, I play a wide range of stuff, considering I'm a huge metalhead (Maiden, Tallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, CoC, AIC, BLS, etc.) and obviously like I said before, Hendrix, Zep, SRV, etc. but it seems even finding people who play that stuff is hard. Everyone else around my town wants to play their Chelsea Grin and Of Mice and Men.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by bender424
I personnaly use beatcraft for the drum, and I borrow the bass of a friend to record the bass ( line in ). The guitars are recorded with a mic in front of my amp in my wardrobe. I also record the keybord with a MIDI cable straight to the mixer. I find alot of pride into doing my atmospheric dark folk metal myself. I can't seem to mix everything correctly, but at least I capture the sound I want and manage to record it on audacity.

I'm saying this because I was in a similar situation TS. and going solo was the best decision I could make. I'm still starting but well, if I never start I'll never get anywhere near done.

And with time I joined a black metal band, but I kept my solo project a solo project, simply because I want to do my own thing. The idea of others can be good, but I prefer to have comments on my songs rather than a band member who wants to change something I like. Solo; there is no compromise, only perfectionnism

I was talking about playing in a live setting with all instruments. TS said he wanted to play live. Of course he could record all the instruments himself on a recording if he wanted to.
Quote by metaldud536
Be a one man band. F*ck da haterz
This.

Just record any parts you can't play live and plug the recording into the sound system. You may want to learn how to sing too.
Fuck being in a band.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^Exactly!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TomusAM
Thank God it wasn't. That is one meme that got super annoying, super fast.

Sounds like you could use a new amp.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
To the one suggesting me to take the "responsible" route of school and a job: I have a job(a rather low paying one, but luckily i don't have to move out to go to college) and I excel in school. I'm just not interested in things such as computers, engineering, teaching, you know, things most people go to college for. I'm much more interested in music and composition.

To the people asking what genre: Idk. I listen to pretty much all forms of music, even a little jazz and country. But as for what I'm in interested in doing as a band, like a combination of Minus the Bear, Circa Survive, Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, and At the Drive In. So I guess like alternative? Idk.

To those talking about solo stuff: I've recorded some(extremely lo fi) home recordings of myself that range from shredding to noise type stuff to field recordings and even like full songs(with verses and choruses and stuff). Most of it is on the shredding side and they're ll lofi and consist of only guitar and sometimes singing(I am very bad at singing so I rarely put singing in it lol). I have some ideas floating around but I have no drum machine or drum program or anything so you can imagine how hard it is to be consistent without a drum or a metronome(metronomes annoy me though). I DO want a solo career at some point, I just like playing with a band and stuff. Like I would never want to go on stage by myself with backing tracks. But I have considered it.
Quote by Nirvana00125
I've been trying to start a band since I was like 14. I am now 18 and have been in one band and that lasted for only 4 or 5 months(i left cause i hated the direction they were going in).

I don't ask for much. I really don't. I would just buy equipment and record solo stuff(i have enough money to) but I want to play live. I wanna get out there and have fun. I may listen to some odd music, but I mean...if Odd Future, King Crimson, and Melt Banana can start bands/groups then why can't I?

It's just getting me down. I'm going to college in a few months for music theory. I just always hoped to be in a band by now. Kinda in a funk.

How could I start a band? Craigslist hasn't helped(keep getting like 30 year olds who want to play music totally different than what i specify in the ad), and going to shows doesn't either :P

WHAT DO

Ok, 1) Melt Banana is fucking awesome. 2) Ask some of your friends if they know any musicians and if they'd be interested in starting a band. Put ads up in local music shops if they'll let you, and keep trying craigslist. Something will come up eventually.
Actually I have been interested in like...a solo jazz acoustic type thing. Or maybe with clean electric guitar(i have an Epi Dot Studio that has a surprisingly good sound for the price.) I mean like Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, the type of stuff early jazz guitarists did. I really like that. But I'm really bad at the whole "guitar bass lines" type thing. I can do some tapping bass lines and lead lines on electric but...tapping on acoustic is a lot harder. And I'm bad at utilizing tapping with jazz...

I think I'm going to buy a drum machine here soon and just record some ideas. Do some acoustic stuff, and electric shreddy stuff.

As I said: the main reason I want to be in a band is for the music I want to play. I'm not very good at keyboards(i can play simply stuff but nothing very complicated) and I don't own drums nor a bass(my bass is broken and is a cheap bass). Doing alternative by yourself is a lot different than solo type stuff(shredding, jazz, etc.) Plus other people can get my mind on one track(i honestly can't focus at all by myself so i tend to go into long jams, or play too many styles in one song(shifting from fusion to death metal to blues in the same song lol) and I generally suck at writing cohesive material. So a band I'd have other people to say "Hey, we need to be more together". Although I guess if I were paying for studio time or using my own studio equipment or recording for a purpose other than for my own listening pleasures, I'd probably be better with how I write...
I definitely here you OP. I've been in a similar situation for a rather long period of time myself, pushing the 4 year boundary myself. I was involved with 2 projects, however both were disbanded shortly (within a month) not by my doing; but rather the doing of other people involved. On top of that, I live in a relatively remote area and stylistically I am very picky with who I will involve myself with. Once, about a year ago, I had a momentary slip-up where I gave in and "worked" with a local band who was essentially Christian synth-rock (which is entirely the opposite of my personality and music style, as I am an atheist and preference extreme/atmospherically complex music). That lasted for about a day, then I just quit returning calls as I was genuinely disinterested.

With that said, the worst thing you can do is start playing music you cannot be 100 percent behind. I would advise that you do some solo recording and let things naturally fall into place overtime. Besides that, even if you do get into a band, that will eventually fade away itself (more than likely unless your one in a million).

I guess a big question to ask is how is your personality? I know I have extended difficulty finding people to work with because I am relatively anti-social, introverted, and clinically depressed. Up until a few weeks ago I had been working and going to school full time for the past 4 years (I am 20 mind you), which has destroyed my social life and interest in living at all; much less my desires to be in a band.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Page 1 of 2