Ok so I just got a silverface 1974 twin and it kicks ass. Sounds ****ing great.

But boy is it loud.

After nearly destroying the ear drums of everyone at my bands last gig I have decided that I need to do something about this HUGE amount of volume BUT I am on a budget (having just lost out 500 on the dam thing).

As a result I have been trawling the net looking for answers and have come across a few. I now just have some questions regarding them.

1. One of the first things I found was the THD Hotplate, it seems great but it is very expensive and im worried that the 100watt twin may be too much for it?

2. I have also read that removing two of the power tubes and disconnecting one of the speakers (to double the impedance) will cut the volume. Is this the case? And if so, is this safe to do? Will it kill my amp?

My twin does have the master volume knob but its pretty useless to be honest. I just want to get that awesome tone and lovely fuzz (with a bigmuff) at a volume that isnt going to destroy our fan base!

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome.

T
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
you'll pretty much need an attenuator.

a 100 watt hot plate will be alright.

honestly though, the twin is loud.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yerr looks like it, was just reading though, if I am wanting to play my amp at bedroom volumes should I be looking at an attenuator twice the capacity (i.e 200watt)?
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Looked into Weber attenuators, anyone got any advice about them? And also, do I need a 200watt?

T
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Yeah, if you are actually squashing your amp, you'll need something with about twice the rated RMS wattage.

Webers are ok. I'd look at Hot Plates.

But, I really only recommend attenuators in pretty sever circumstances. Dialed in right, the Twin can produce some pretty aggressive sounds (especially the MV versions). If you are using a Muff on top of that, I don't really see how you would have a problem.

I'd spend some more time with the amp before shelling out.