Ive been playing the guitar for going on nine years now and i have become an excellent player. I started writing lyrics last august and started trying to sing in like December. I want to play gigs and stuff as a solo project, i feel that i am well prepared to play guitar and that i have adequate songs written but will my sub par voice hold me back?

I know that it never held back bob dylan or neil young but i feel that the times have a' changed (pardon the pun) and people are so used to the perfect auto tuned voices they here from pop music today that there is no place for someone like dylan or young. what do you guys think?
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Well if you want to be a singer, you should probably be a good singer. That's generally a good rule of thumb. You wouldn't want to run for president if you did not know anything about politics... disregard 2000-2008...

Win.
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Well if you want to be a singer, you should probably be a good singer. That's generally a good rule of thumb. You wouldn't want to run for president if you did not know anything about politics... disregard 2000-2008...

My main goal isnt to be a singer. I want to share music and lyrics ive made with audiences and the best way to share the lyrics is through singing
I think that because people are so used to pitch perfect, roboticised, auto-tuned voices, something a bit rougher and with more character could be just the thing to grab you a bit of attention.
yeah if you think your songs are good enough then as long as your singing isnt actually bad, it wont hurt
"cufk, tish, sips"
-
Kurt Cobain
Quote by Weybl Himself
I think that because people are so used to pitch perfect, roboticised, auto-tuned voices, something a bit rougher and with more character could be just the thing to grab you a bit of attention.

True. I personally add roughness to certain words while trying to sing as perfect as possibly on the others. (Not in every song, just certain ones.)
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
if you can't sing, then you better have really good songs to make up for it. Depending on your style you might be able to get away with talking songs. Check out The Randall Knife by Guy Clark for an example. (but Guy can also sing)
another thing is that most people are really self conscious about their singing so you're probly better than you think.
Anybody who describes themselves as "excellent" at anything usually isn't. Just a tip there buddy.

Otherwise, if you intend on singing, you may as well do it well. I doubt John Mayer would have gotten very far if he had a sub-par voice, and even artists who are regarded as the top guitarists "usually" have good voices when they bring them out (ignoring Malmsteen). When you sing with guitar, the voice becomes the primary instrument, that's what the audience is going to focus on. If the voice is no good, people are not going to like it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Meh, it worked for Mustaine. His voice is so insanely bad that some people actually grew to like it (me included!).

Just get out there and do it. Trust me on this, even if you utterly fail you will be glad you at least tried. The question becomes, if you don't do this now will you regret it later in life?
Conventional advice from pretty much *any* A+R rep would be, "the vocals need to be bang on."

Consider this...

You have two bands... one is crazy tight with a terrible singer. Patrons leave at the end of the night saying "that band sucked." The other is a bunch of hackers with a great singer. Patrons leave at the end of the night saying, "Wow... were they ever good."

That's the reality. It doesn't matter what musicians think. It matters what non-musicians think.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Conventional advice from pretty much *any* A+R rep would be, "the vocals need to be bang on."

Consider this...

You have two bands... one is crazy tight with a terrible singer. Patrons leave at the end of the night saying "that band sucked." The other is a bunch of hackers with a great singer. Patrons leave at the end of the night saying, "Wow... were they ever good."

That's the reality. It doesn't matter what musicians think. It matters what non-musicians think.

CT

That's actually an issue with one of my bands. The music itself is good, but we constantly get criticism on the vocals. Guess we've dug ourselves into a hole on that one. You'll get what I mean from http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/themaswell/
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
well it worked for bob dylan

Quote by axemanchris

Consider this...

CT

but seriously this^

if people like it is really all that matters, if you want to keep getting gigs and the like
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Ill refer to axemanchris's post, it's spot on.
They vocals are the most exposed part of the music, so if it's not any good your show won't be.
It HAS to be pleasent for non-musicians, and if you look good if really makes a difference as well. That is totally unfair, but if you're good looking people will bear with worse vocal skills.
If you're not the luckiest person on earth, the voice has to be phenomenal.
Jack White
Seasick Steve
Elliott Smith
Thurston Moore
Lee Ranaldo
Kim Gordon
J Mascis
Kurt Cobain
Bradford Cox

Just a few off the top of my head.
None of these people can "sing" in the conventional sense and would get laughed out of X factor or whatever else. All of them have large fanbases.
yep
You can always find exceptions. That's the problem with anecdotal arguments over statistical ones.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
actually what I thought when I read the thread title was that you can hit notes and all, but your voice itself is not made for singing. Now what is it?

I mean a friend of mine would really like to sing and he can hit notes, but the voice just kind of sucks. Then again there's this guy who doesnt know what notes is and his voice just has a lot of soul in it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I don't think you have to be a great singer to be appreciated by your audience...

You do need some fundamental skills like pitch and rythm and I would say diction too.
You can sound good with these three qualities

You say you are a songwriter/guitar player (not an interpeter). If your songs have quality people will like them even if you aren't the best singer in the world, as long as your voice stay in key and in time
Quote by kaneorsomething
Jack White
Seasick Steve
Elliott Smith
Thurston Moore
Lee Ranaldo
Kim Gordon
J Mascis
Kurt Cobain
Bradford Cox

Just a few off the top of my head.
None of these people can "sing" in the conventional sense and would get laughed out of X factor or whatever else. All of them have large fanbases.

None of those people can "sing" in the conventional sense?

Granted, I've only heard about half of them, but they can all most definitely hold a tune incredibly well. Having a strange or unique vocal tone hardly equals inability to 'sing', conventionally or otherwise.

In fact, surely being able to hold a tune whilst having a unique vocal tone is the holy goddamn grail of singing?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Win.

^^
Quote by AllenHB
Seriously you're thinking about music theory all wrong. It doesn't tell you how to write, it' examines what's already written.
Quote by TrevorJH
Ive been playing the guitar for going on nine years now and i have become an excellent player. I started writing lyrics last august and started trying to sing in like December. I want to play gigs and stuff as a solo project, i feel that i am well prepared to play guitar and that i have adequate songs written but will my sub par voice hold me back?

I know that it never held back bob dylan or neil young but i feel that the times have a' changed (pardon the pun) and people are so used to the perfect auto tuned voices they here from pop music today that there is no place for someone like dylan or young. what do you guys think?

I think it's great you want to do it all. I really enjoy hearing new music.
The singing does not have to be perfect, especially if you are putting yourself out there as a musician. If you were just trying to say that you were a singer then it would be more of a deal. As long as you can hold the note without going sharp or flat, and you have a sense of rhythm, you should be fine. Remember though, that people see someone on stage and they just want to hear them sing so be careful that you put some good guitar riffs in there so your not judged solely on your voice.
It can be made up for with technique. One of my favourite singers, Warrel Dane, actually has quite a mediocre voice in my opinion, but is incredibly expressive and unique in his delivery. And also, using correct technique will improve your voice quite a lot. I used to think I had an impossibly awful voice, but that was mainly because of the ridiculous things I was doing with it.

So yeah, learn to sing. Your voice is only one aspect of singing.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 19, 2011,
When Eric Clapton was in Cream he was insecure about his singing voice, then look what he did after that. You just gotta practice a little more. As long as you can hit the right notes the tone of your voice doesn't really matter. That is, unless it's a super annoying tone.
As long as you're in tune, it doesn't matter.

If you're out of tune, it doesn't matter how sweet your voice is, you will sound terrible.

edit: also, like someone mentioned, talking songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Krvl7AEAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_astp3BjM

Difficult to pull off though.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Last edited by suffer some at May 23, 2011,
Quote by TrevorJH

Put it this way. If you're singing voice sounds like crap, who's going to want to listen?

The thing is, you can practice and develop your voice. So it's not a matter of "if my voice sucks will it hold me back"..... it's a matter of whether or not you're willing to put in the effort to get your vocal chops happening.

Also, personally I think Dylan and Young had great singing voices. Even more importantly, they were genuine artists, which IMO is the primary reason for their success.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 25, 2011,