Hi!
I had my mind set on buying a Peavey 6505+ combo. I'm on a budget of about $600 and I want this amp but..... I heard many people are saying the cleans aren't too good. I play a lot of Metallica, all that remains, trivium etc... so I need some nice cleans, but brutal distortion.

I have a line 6 pod hd300... would that get me the clean I want using it with the 6505? It should correct? If not, I really would appreciate any recommendations.... I would also prefer an amp that has good distortion without having to rely on pedals of any sort.
Check out the Bugera 6262, it supposedly has better cleans

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Yeahh they use to be but apparently they've fixed the problem with them now

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
don't buy the bugera. while they are supposed to sound the same they aren't nearly as tight. plus the build quality is terrible. if you want the peavey sound get the peavey.
Ok... but my main concern was the clean. I think it can dish out some decent metallica clean tone with a line 6 podhd300 if I use one of their amp models, while I use the FX only the pod for like solo boosts. Sound like a good idea?
Last edited by Wardance77 at May 5, 2011,
The cleans aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be. They're definitely usable, and with some proper equing, they can sound decent.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Well the cleans aren't as legendary as the distortion sound of the amp, but I wouldn't say they're bad. They pod's models may very well help out though.
The cleans aren't bad... swap the 12AX7 in V1 for a 5751 or 12AT7 and the clean headroom is increased, or so I've heard. It's on my to-do list for mine, along with a general re-preamp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nobody's mentioned the JSX?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Or the XXX.
But the 6505 does have better tones for brutal stuff. Not as versatile though.
Actually, the XXX was the amp I was thinking of. I rented these fingers from an idiot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

They're both very similar anyway, the JSX is just a tweaked XXX they made for Satch.
The cleans on the 6505/5150 series aren't anywhere near as bad as people say. Most of the online knee-jerk responses are from kids who've never played the amp and want to repeat what they've read elsewhere.

If you take some time to dial it in, you are fine, especially for stuff like Metallica. A chorus and/or EQ pedal in the loop does wonders as well.

The 6505 112 is alright. I'd also look at the older 5150/6505 212 combo. Its cleans aren't quite as good, but its a sturdier amp, and sounds fantastic. I used one of these for a while and never had a problem with the cleans. The big secret is, roll your guitars volume down a tad. If you have a single coil on your guitar, switch over to that.

Otherwise, look at the XXX, JSX, or an older Ultra if you can find one. The Marshall JCM2000 DSL isn't bad either and comes in a few combo formats. The Egnator Tweaker could be a good fit here as well.

I can't remember, is the JCA50 out yet?
If you have $600 bucks, I think you could pretty easily go and find a 6505 212 combo. It'll be better than the chinese made plus 112 combo.

Although it will come down to preference, really. The + has the separate EQ and slightly better cleans.

Either way, youll have no problem pulling out that kind of music with it. And if you run that pod along with it, you'll have fine cleans along with killer distortion.
Alright so now I'm considering the Peavey 6505 212. "OneBlackened," Stated I should swap the 12AX7 in V1 for a 5751 or 12AT7... I'll consider doing that for better cleans. It does have a separate EQ for clean and lead channels right? I'm not too fond of a shared EQ....I also read that a Closed Back (Peavey 212) sounds tighter, but lacks a little in sound projection. Would this be an issue if I was to perform without a PA?
Last edited by Wardance77 at May 6, 2011,
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. People were telling me that the 6505+ cleans sucked but i bought it anyway. Like alot of people here have said already, they aren't terrible. The fact that the distortion is so good on this amp outweighs the fact that the cleans arent stellar. You could get by with these cleans if its a metallica sound you want.
My Gear:
-Schecter Omen w/ emg's
-Ibanez xpt700 Xiphos
-Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
-Raven 100w

Don’t take life too seriously, you won’t get out alive.