For the past year I have had my acoustic guitar with me at college. The problem is that I really don't like the way it feels. I enjoy playing my electric much more, but don't really want to bring my nice guitar from home for fear of it getting banged up. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sub $200 guitar? I went to the local Guitar Center and Music go Round, but most of their used guitars were crap first act guitars.
What kind of music? Off the top of my head, I'd suggest finding a used Mexican Fender(I got mine, six years old at the time, for $220 in 2008 with a free hardshell case), but that may not suit your needs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I would take a look at Agile's line of cheap guitars (SX and Douglass)

I just purchased a cheap SX Tele-copy to bring with me to college. They're almost all below the $200 mark and although they're not the greatest, I'm sure they'd hold up for just practicing in a dorm room or whatever you're using it for.

I had the same worries about bringing one of my more expensive guitars to college with me so I took this route. Rondo is pretty well known for putting out good instruments for their prices and their customer service is excellent if you have any problems.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
look at Xavierre gutars. they make some diecent stuff from Strats/Tele to LP/Semi Hollow style. They come loaded with GFS pickups that sound better than most $400 guitars.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have already been looking at some of the SX, Douglas, and Xavierre guitars. The Telecaster style guitars are really appealing to me. How much work would I have to put into any of these to make them playable out of the box? Here are the guitars I was looking at:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-XV-820-Vintage-Style-Sienna-Sunburst-Maple-Fingerboard_p_1138.html#
http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/shadow2ts.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkashp90.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/callistojr.html
Quote by strekship
For the past year I have had my acoustic guitar with me at college. The problem is that I really don't like the way it feels. I enjoy playing my electric much more, but don't really want to bring my nice guitar from home for fear of it getting banged up. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sub $200 guitar? I went to the local Guitar Center and Music go Round, but most of their used guitars were crap first act guitars.

For below 200 you arent gonna get anything but crap.

You need to be budgeting at least 300-350 to get something decent used and about 500 - 600 for something good new.

I dont agree with cheaping out on a guitar, to me thats a waste of money, just save and get a summer job. You can make 500 in a week working full time. Especially if your staying at home, where it would be all profit.

Just save and buy a used mexi strat or a epi les paul. If you have some more cheese look into a used PRS Se those usually go for about 450 ish

You can also get a fender squire, but i havent seen a good one, and i dont see the point to them when the mexi strats are such a great bargain.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
As for worrying about bringing a good guitar to college, thats a stupid worry. As long as you arent careless and dont do something stupid you shouldnt have a problem.

All ou gotta do is get a hard shell case and dont let every jackass into your room. And if someone is coming over, put it in the case and put it in your closet or under your bed. Or just put it in the case. No one is gonna touch your stuff unless you let them.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by reggaebassman
As for worrying about bringing a good guitar to college, thats a stupid worry. As long as you arent careless and dont do something stupid you shouldnt have a problem.

All ou gotta do is get a hard shell case and dont let every jackass into your room. And if someone is coming over, put it in the case and put it in your closet or under your bed. Or just put it in the case. No one is gonna touch your stuff unless you let them.

That's fine if he has a single; you don't know how a roommate will be. I was all about locking the door but every roommate I had in college would leave the door unlocked.

No one is gonna touch his stuff if he's there, but a roommate's friend won't care about picking your stuff up.
Look into some of the low-end Ibanez stuff. In my opinion they have some of the best really cheap guitars. A friend from school owns a cheap Ibanez Gio that came in one of those starter packs, and it plays surprisingly very good. Good action, nice frets, fast neck, decent intonation, etc. Not anything truly special, but amazing for the price.

My rhythm guitarist also owns an ART100 model, which is more of a Les Paul style guitar. Aside from the pickups, it feels and plays like a $700 guitar, but is actually only $300, which is slightly out of budget for you, but definitely worth it.

So yeah. Low end Ibanez for sure.
Quote by reggaebassman
For below 200 you arent gonna get anything but crap.

You need to be budgeting at least 300-350 to get something decent used and about 500 - 600 for something good new.

I dont agree with cheaping out on a guitar, to me thats a waste of money, just save and get a summer job. You can make 500 in a week working full time. Especially if your staying at home, where it would be all profit.

Just save and buy a used mexi strat or a epi les paul. If you have some more cheese look into a used PRS Se those usually go for about 450 ish

You can also get a fender squire, but i havent seen a good one, and i dont see the point to them when the mexi strats are such a great bargain.

This guy? Don't listen to him.

I second the Rondo Music motion. If you go up to $225 and get an Agile AL-2000 it will be an amazing guitar.
My MIM Standard Strat was $230. If you can go a little beyond $200, you could probably get one for around $250. Otherwise I'd go for a Squier.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Let me ask you: are you bringing a laptop or other computer to school? Jewelry? Anything that is simultaneously smaller and basically as valuable as your favorite axe? Are you bringing a decent amp along? If so, don't worry about it. Buy a lockable hardshell and bring your guitar.

If not, go get a guitar at a pawnshop near your school (so you don't have to transport it)- that way, if anything happens to it, you won't be as bent out of shape.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
peavey raptor. I got one used for like 50 bucks at the local pawn shop. decent guitar for the money.
Just saying, Guitar Player gave a very very favorable review of the Xaviere jazzmaster copy Here.
Kinda like a tele
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
epiphone is to gibson like squire is to fender. except epiphones are respectable. i would look at some of those.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Wow, I've had a lot of luck at music go round because the ones by me have a ton of Schecters and Ibanez models. I'd say try rondo or see if there are some pawn shops around you as well.
always guitars on craigslist.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
I bought a squier Telecaster Custom II a long time ago as a practice/back-up/bash around guitar and it's always served me well and sounded pretty damn good. Later on I realized it was one of the "Vintage Modified" series which is apparently their highest series. I got it for $350+tax new so most likely you can find them around $250 or so used. Change the tuners and that guitar will do anything you want it to. I'd say look for a Squier VM series.
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Squier Classic Vibe Tele/Strat
Used Mexi Fender Strat/Tele
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100