Just a quick question: I've been experimenting and I really like trying out dissonant chords, but I wanna expand. Anyone have particular favorite dissonant chords? Better yet, where can I find a list of some?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Extended altered chords are good for dissonance.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Tritones and the regular 2-notes-one-semi-tone apart (ex: 7 on b string, 10 on g string so it's an F# and F) are both fun - you can even tie them together, and it really doesn't sound bad. Veil of Maya did this on It's Not Safe to Swim Today and the clash kind of evens out the dissonance caused by the two separately.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
in a minor jazz context, a iM7 chord can sound pretty sweet

Also, idim7 to iim7b5 is cool and fairy-tale like when arpeggiated
"Balance not just for karate, balance for whole life."
Last edited by limescout at May 5, 2011,
Stacked "Devil's Thirds" chords. Basically flat the fifth during powerchords. Example:
G--------- 5
D--------- 4
A ---------3
E----------2
As Hail said... clusters would be pure dissonance... especially minor 2nds apart... Add the high E to his example... and there you have an awesome cluster.
Quote by MikeDodge
You know, the nastiest sounding chord on it's own could actually be the most beautiful chord when played in the right context.

+1. Dissonance is relative.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
german aug 6 with an added 7th. basically has a bit of a tone cluster (#4,5,b6).

whatever this chord is, again, tone clusters are your friend.
Minor 7th flat 5th? Use it as the ii* in a minor chord progression or the vii* in a major chord progression. You won't even have to break out the chromaticism, lol.
My Equipment:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez A200E
Peavey Vypyr 60 w/Sanpera II
Morpheus Droptune

Last edited by Sobriquet at May 7, 2011,