Back in 2008 I bought my first electric guitar in hopes of being able to shred like my favorite guitarists. I never could keep my self motivated to do the practicing. I think most of it was because I didn't know what I was suppose to be practicing. All these different types of chords and scales confused the hell out of me. I would find websites that had lesson plans but they were usually incomplete and I didnt really know if i was doing it right or not or what the goal of the lesson was. I've bought and sold my guitar and practice amp 3 times now. You'd figure I would just say the hell with it and quit, but every time i fire up some guns n roses or metallica it starts back up again and i crave to learn to play. I really dont know what to do :*(

I would take lessons but they were at best 20 miles away and with gas prices where they are + cost of lessons I really just cant afford it.

What should I do? Give up, keep trying what??
use youtube, start simple, once you get a little better, go to 1 lesson, assess where you are and then practice whatever you want to learn. It's what I did, maybe not for everyone though.
A good teacher would really help you. Check the ads in the paper. Sometimes there's independent teachers in there that will come to your house.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
see i think im like dyslexic or something i cant learn that way. I need like a detailed lesson plan that I can see in front of me with clear goals. everything ive ever found is incomplete or starts going off into jazz or something which I cant stay motivated for. I dont understand how all these scales work nor do i see how to apply any of that to the songs im trying to play
download Tux Guitar and the guitar pro tab for "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or something and learn it.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
I learned with Complete Guitar for Dummies. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm stupid. It's relatively easy, you just start out with buying a guitar (which you're probably accustomed to), then it goes onto some simple chords to memorize and a few classical songs to play (think campfire songs). It's a slow start, but it's a start.

And the Total/Complete one has about eight books in one, including how to play rock which seems to be your goal. Just stick to it and if you find yourself wanting to quit again listen to GNR or any other bands that made you want to learn in the first place.
Practice, Practice, and More Practice. "Nothing comes from Nothing."

Remember have fun. (The first 6 months are the roughest).
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 6, 2011,
When I first started playing I used to sleep with balled up socks between my fingers so I could stretch out the joints. When I realized I couldn't make the 5 fret reach to play one of my favorite songs I asked my friend if breaking my pinky would help me make the stretch. If you really want it, you'll find a way.
clearly you dont want to give up, other wise you would not ask this. I suggest finding a good video series or website online, here are some recomendations.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

http://www.guitarlessons365.com/

Learn some rhythms, a variety of chords and some blues. Then you can at least make a few nice chord progressions, improvise and learn some songs. Just by learning to improvise you can make a lot of fun, and its a lot easier and less daunting than it sounds.

Just start off with a couple of videos, learn and practice what they teach and see how it goes.

Maybe you just have not found your exact niche or style on the guitar that suits you. Just keep trying, listen to some inspiration guitarists like hendrixs, jason becker, marty friedman (and any others you yourself may idolise). Check out some styles of music you may not usually listen to.

Quote by Deaddog
When I first started playing I used to sleep with balled up socks between my fingers so I could stretch out the joints.

Did it work at all?
Last edited by jkielq91 at May 6, 2011,
If you enjoy it, don't quit
If you don't enjoy it, quit

It's that simple. Why would you do something as a hobby you don't enjoy?
You only get what you put into it. The good guitarist you know are good because they put countless hours of practice into it and were enjoying themselves while doing it.
You are the only one who can answer that question...

One advise I can give you though, is that if you say you don't know where to go in your learning, a teacher would probably be your best decision, if you decide to keep at it
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at May 6, 2011,
start slowly and take one step at a time and learn at your own pace. i did this as i taught myself and now id say im competent on guitar and got myself a gig playing lead for a local thrash band.
impossible is nothing. just stick at it.
some guitarists get bored an sell their axes an like you said get haunted everytime they listen to music.
In answer to your question, no never give up the dream
Quote by stickysox
see i think im like dyslexic or something i cant learn that way. I need like a detailed lesson plan that I can see in front of me with clear goals. everything ive ever found is incomplete or starts going off into jazz or something which I cant stay motivated for. I dont understand how all these scales work nor do i see how to apply any of that to the songs im trying to play

Then you need a teacher - some people are able to teach themselves, some aren't.

If everybody was able to teach themselves things then there wouldn't be any teachers, would there?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then you need a teacher - some people are able to teach themselves, some aren't.

If everybody was able to teach themselves things then there wouldn't be any teachers, would there?

This....

Trust me I know you may lose intrest when they go off on a jazz thing, seriously that is one of my things as well (grrr... I dislike jazz, well I don't mind blues jazz but for the most part I'm not really a fan), but you may be able to find one that uses rock to teach. I know that typically when I teach someone I start with some simple rock riffs. well unless they have a specific genre they like, then I'll try to pull from there. anyways good luck, and don't give up unless you just don't like to play!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
You could always find people to jam with. You can learn off them and it'll make things more interesting.
Maybe you're just expecting too much too fast. I know I did when I started. Can you play anything musical at all? I would suggest, for starters, just learning some power chords if you haven't already and just make up some chord progressions to tool around with. Just make some riffs and have fun with it. If you pick up a guitar and expect to sound like Slash right off the bat, you're in for a rude awakening...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I am in your same situation. Been playing for 5 months and can only do very little at the moment and I blame my inconsistency for it.
I recently purchased a book called 'From zero to guitar hero' and it's helping me a ton to move along. It's very simple and gets right into the good stuff.
What I do at the moment is a lot of finger exercise on the guita. I think it's vital to be able to move your fingers around the guitar well and being able to hit scales when you need to without delays.
So if I am watching TV or anything I will have the guitar with me and will keep exercising my fingers.
I think that is crucial. I see a lot of licks on you tube that I could easily do but the problem is my fingers don't move fast enough and don't have the coordination and dexterity to effectively hit the right chords when I have to and the sound is just all over the places.
IMHO finger exercise everyday and pick one song that you like and master it what ever it takes.
In my life I never had a lot of determination so I always start things and never finish them. Now that I am a little older I need to teach my self to stick with one thing and I picked the guitar, since I always loved it.
I look at it this way I am 37 years old and I know I will never become a rock start, it just not going to happen.
I will never be good like people that have been playing the guitar since they were 10 years old and I am fine with that.
What I want is to be able to entertain myself and that is my only goal.
Guitar lessons are good but they are not going to make you a guitarist. No teacher can make miracles and some of them are not good to begin with and might make things more boring for you in the end.
There is no magic trick to learn how to play an instrument, it's all up to you. Like sports and other things in life it's all about repetition and pit bull like determination and a lot of boring hours practicing.

I am trying this song at the moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEMlJ0KFuek

it's a 45 minutes lesson to learn shoot to thrill.
The problem with this lessons is that there is no way to slow down the playback when it's showing the action and that hurts. On garage band I can slow down the playback and it helps me a lot to learn faster.
Last edited by maurier at May 6, 2011,
I think some people get upset when they pick up a guitar and discover that they aren't Jimi Hendrix. My advice is to to try Justin Guitar or something, and learn the basics. I mean really learn the basics, if you aren't good at the basics then you'll never be good at guitar full stop.

Learn some open chords, play along to simple 3 chord songs until you have them nailed, and perfectly in time. This will provide a great buzz and a feeling that 'My god, I can actually play a song!'. Learn more songs/chords and repeat. I also recommend a book called 'Blues you can use', this will help you learn the pentatonic scale and have you playing simple but very cool licks pretty quickly.

Learning guitar is an amazing adventure, and you only get out what you put in. Keep it simple, but progressively challenge yourself and you will reap the rewards.

I hope that helps to put some perspective on this whole thing, a guitar is a very overwhelming thing to learn, but you will regret putting it away. I did, and wasted 17 years. I so wish I could get that time back.

Keep at it, and you will not regret it.
I've been playing for 38 years and I'll never shred like Shawn Lane. I play well though. I can play what I feel....and that's how I define "arriving" when it comes to playing guitar.

It's good to make comparisons if it motivates you but don't pick virtuosos to emulate and then expect to get to that level next year. That's immature. When I was young I listened to my sister's Neil Young albums and thought that was great music...and it was...but Young was never a particularly good guitar player...just a good songwriter. Pretty soon I realized I was a better player than Neil Young it was time for a new idol. Look out Jimmy Page

The point is, I naturally break down big problems into smaller, more manageable, more obtainable goals. It's the way I'm made. I think it's good advice to suggest that you think about this realistically and then set a small, obtainable goal for your playing. If you conquer any goal, no matter how small, you will feel acomplishment, not defeat. A small feeling of accomplishment can carry you forward whereas defeat will stop you from trying further.

So....manage your motivation.

If you progress as a player, regardless of how quickly, you will one day look backward and realize how far you've come....simply by not quitting.

With guitar playing....you can't fail if you never quit.
I read Emerson on the can. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...true...but a consistent reading of Emerson has its uses nevertheless.
thats for the advice really helps

maybe if i say what I can do with guitar now you guys can tell me where to go from here.

Right now I can play sweet child of mine up until where the wah kicks in the for the solo.

I can play the riffs to for whom the bell tolls, nightrain, WTTJ, and some other easy ones.

I can roughly play the intro to Nothing Else Matters and Stairway to heaven.

Open chords i have down pat, barr chords i suck at really bad and i find myself scrambling to get it in time.

I also suck at palm muting, like on the song out ta get me and crazy train where you go the chuga chuga chuga chord chuga chuga chuga chord type thing going on. The only solo I can play start to finish without errors is the 2nd WTTJ solo.

SO ya, i guess maybe my main problem is im moving around too much, i think i jsut end up getting bored with the one song then I never really learn anything that way..