never was a fan of any sort of metal until a few months ago, unless you count GNR as metal.

I've really been getting into sabbath, ozzys 80s stuff, iron maiden, and obviously metallica, especially black album and prior.

Guitar i have now is ok for metal, but i want an excuse to buy a new one

My budget is about $600. I've really been looking into Jackson DK2 Dinky and it looks badass. Think I could score it used for that much? what are some other options?
Well its actually the amps that existed back then that gives that tone. A "Vintage" amp is what they call them now.
Quote by scimitar_255
Tony Iommi rocked an SG... go with that!

so did angus young, definitely the guitar for the job but its also definitely out of the 600 dollar price range unless you get a lucky deal on a used one or something
Dude I scored a Jackson DKGM today used for 300 . Jackson with EMG's is definitely the way to go for that stuff and right in your budget.
And beyond LPs and SGs, there are Strat players in bands like Iron Maiden.

Pretty much, you can find any kind of guitar used in metal.

As for amps...

Marshals are pretty popular with early guys. You can also find brands like Vox, Orange, Mesa and so forth.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i hate to be the guy that says "new amp," but that will have a far greater effect on tone that a new guitar. but hey, that's not what you asked for. ESP LTD, Jackson, and Schecter make fairly decent guitars in that price range that are suited for metal. but if you maybe want to go for a more "old school" look, then maybe try looking for a Epiphone Tony Iommi SG. they're like $500 on ebay.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Here's my advice. You have plenty of guitars to choose from. Is there any specific details you want? Any features and hardware you want?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Anything from Jackson/Charvel. Personally, for that real old skool metal vibe, I'd go with something like a Charvel So-Cal, but the Dinky's a good choice too. I've got a DK2M, and the neck is lovely.
check out the charvel pro-mods. there made in japan and feel mostly the same as the 2009 production models in my opinion. and i own a production model myself which is just a awesome beast.
pro-mods are build in japan and as far as i know they have an original floyd and the san dimas has seymours duncan and the so-cal dimarzios in it. go for around 700 euros.

http://charvel.com/promods/
Quote by dopelope
Hell Yes. A Jackson RR to be exact.

Then it ain't a Flying V... But I'd prefer a Rhoads to a Flying V as well anyways.
Quote by wolvenrick
check out the charvel pro-mods. there made in japan and feel mostly the same as the 2009 production models in my opinion. and i own a production model myself which is just a awesome beast.
pro-mods are build in japan and as far as i know they have an original floyd and the san dimas has seymours duncan and the so-cal dimarzios in it. go for around 700 euros.

http://charvel.com/promods/

they have the korean floyd. But aside from that, assuming they're pretty close to the US-made ones (I've only tried the US-made ones), they'd be a pretty good call for that type of music.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's more about the amp, but when I think old-skool metal, I think SG's, Strat's and Flying V's.

What amp do you have right now ?
Have blackstar ht 5 with a 4x12 v30s , live in an apartment so kinda limited to my options

Sent by Android.
It's most likely a new amp that you need. Old school metal didn't quite have the solid low end amps have these days. And you probably won't need super high output humbuckers, normal ones will do just fine.
OK well, in the low wattage range is there anything that fits the bill?