Ok, so im looking into buying a gibson sg and im having some trouble deciding.

First off, i would LOVE an SG in classic white. however, those are somewhat uncommon and the only one im finding that isnt insanely expensive is the SG standard with coil splitting.

But i also see that the Standard with coil splitting comes with burstbucker pickups as opposed to the regular SG standard humbuckers. I just want a good ol SG, and i would be willing to settle for an SG standard in black.

the coil splitting is also $100 more.

So.... tell me:

Are the burstbuckers better or worse than the regular humbuckers?

Is the coil splitting any good?

Should i forget about all the frills and just go with the regular SG standard?

Any help greatly appreciated!
The burstbucker is marketed as being better than the normal Gibson humbuckers (they're called like "450R" or "500L" or something, I don't really care). Whether or not it actually is better is purely preference.

Coil Splitting is useful for getting more tones out of your guitar, it's OK if you want variety, but generally not worth it as the "main sound" of an instrument. It's sort of a feature that's kind of easy to add, but not incredibly useful (fun to play with though). Is it worth the extra $100, though? That's something you have to decide.

Personally, If I was looking for a white SG, and they didn't have a standard one, the white color option would be worth the extra $100, regardless of the coil splitting. Its not like it impacts the normal sound in a noticeable fashion, and it provides the option to use it, it's not like it forces you to use it. Just my opinion on that though.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The coil splitting isn't what's costing $100 more, it's the pickups. Last I saw I think Burstbucker Pros were going for $130 each or something crazy like that, and that was a while ago.

Burstbuckers are definitely a step up from the normal 490t/500t or whatever the hell they call their standard stock pickups. They're pretty versatile, but not super hot so don't expect "t3h br00tz m3t@l pickups EMG1!!11!!"
coil splitting is ok not worth 100 bone IMO just basicly a switch to seperate the humbucker into 2 different single coils for different tones... as for the burstbucker i havent really got a clue ive never had the pleasure of trying them out but if anything pickups can be easily ajusted for different sound and easily replaced if your looking for a hotter sound....

As for the color, shop around, different musicstores online have different SGs ,and different colors some of the time, as well as prices
Quote by Pac_man0123
The coil splitting isn't what's costing $100 more, it's the pickups. Last I saw I think Burstbucker Pros were going for $130 each or something crazy like that, and that was a while ago.

Burstbuckers are definitely a step up from the normal 490t/500t or whatever the hell they call their standard stock pickups. They're pretty versatile, but not super hot so don't expect "t3h br00tz m3t@l pickups EMG1!!11!!"

if i'm not mistaken, Brendan Small (Metalocalypse/Dethklok) uses BurstBuckers in his new Thunderhorse explorer. so "t3h br00tz" could probably be achieved with the right amp and/or effects.

TS: personally, i'd find the $100 justifiable given that the guitar has BB's and coil-splits. the coil-splits definitely add versatility, and BB's are generally thought of as "better" than the stock pickups in regular SG standards. however, whether they really sound better is totally up to you.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Thanks!

just saw they also make the SG '61 Reissue in white. little more expensive, but hey.

any thoughts on that?
Quote by carlos_almighty
if i'm not mistaken, Brendan Small (Metalocalypse/Dethklok) uses BurstBuckers in his new Thunderhorse explorer. so "t3h br00tz" could probably be achieved with the right amp and/or effects.

Yeah he does, but he plays all of his lead stuff on guitars that have passive pickups, and rhythm on the guitars he has EMGs in.

I believe in the interview he said he wanted a guitar that could shred when you need it, but be really versatile at the same time.

Like I said, burstbuckers are good (but damn expensive) pickups that are very versatile, they just won't excel in one particular area. Good at a lot of things; best at none in particular.
at argos they have an sg guitar by encore and by eye it looks sexy lol like a good copy guitar but i dont think the encore neck give the 'lightining fast' playability like they say for gibson sg.