I've always practiced sitting down, so whenever my wrist felt slightly uncomfortable, I could move the guitar accordingly and that would fix the problem.

I've recently started to practice standing up, but after about 30 minutes my wrist starts to hurt to the point that I can't play anymore. I've tried adjusting my strap anywhere from as high as it can go to as low as it can go and it still hurts my wrist. The pain is on the left side of my wrist, down from my pinky.

The weird thing is, I've played bass on stage many times before and my wrist has never once hurt from it.

Anyone have any insight on this?

*edit*

It's my left wrist that hurts, aka my fretting hand.
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at May 6, 2011,
Which wrist?

Playing guitar with a strap can put your wrist in an unnatural position so I guess just try and adjust your guitar to where it feels most comfortable and you don't look like a Beatle or Tom Morello (unless you want to of course). Don't practice sitting down at all unless it's to memorise a part because you want to build up your stamina and ability to wield a guitar on stage. Give it a rest when it starts to hurt then go back again in a bit.

If it continues to hurt after some time practicing go and see a doctor because the problem is probably more serious than the answers you could get on a guitar forum.
Make sure your wrist is straight. I've been playing for 8 years and just started playing standing up a couple years ago. I got "Repetetive Strain Injury" from keeping my fretting wrist kinda cocked. Just take some time and see how your hand posture is. I actually stretch mine before playing by grabbing my middle finger and pulling my wrist back slightly.
It's my left wrist, aka my fretting hand

Quote by mindabyss
Make sure your wrist is straight. I've been playing for 8 years and just started playing standing up a couple years ago. I got "Repetetive Strain Injury" from keeping my fretting wrist kinda cocked. Just take some time and see how your hand posture is. I actually stretch mine before playing by grabbing my middle finger and pulling my wrist back slightly.

hmm i'll have to try that, perhaps I can find a vid or two showing how to hold your fretting hand while playing standing.
IF its your fretting hand then your guitar is probably too high or too low... it should rest at about the same spot it would be when you are sitting down.

there are some exceptions, and about looking like tom morello dont worry about that (if it's comfortable), but the beatles thing, has anyone even tried to play like they did? no seriously, It is 10X more uncomfortable to try to hold the guitar there then having it down at my knees!

the number one rule to holding a guitar is that discomfort = higher possibility of injury, comfort = less chance of injury....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I too have been getting a slightly sore left wrist while practising. I think it's mainly because I'm very new to guitar and the pain might just be my body getting used to playing guitar.
What is that link spam there?

And I have tried adjusting my strap, but it never seems to help. I find it very strange that its only with guitar that this happens, and not with bass.
^ where does your bass hang? chest, tummy, waist, below the waste, knees?
I'd try to put it in about the same place...

your wrist should be able to be rather straight with the guitar, I don't know what style of bass you play, or how complicated your typical riffs are....

from personal experience I find that with simpler riffs (typically in drop D, or some other drop tuning) I feel more comfortable with my guitar lower... but when I have things that require more refined motion I need it a bit higher .

also you can try angleint the guitar to your left or right, I've noticed I lean my guitar slightly so that my neck is pointed out toward the audeince and my grip becomes better than when it sits flat infront of me, so you can try that too.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
^ where does your bass hang? chest, tummy, waist, below the waste, knees?
I'd try to put it in about the same place...

your wrist should be able to be rather straight with the guitar, I don't know what style of bass you play, or how complicated your typical riffs are....

from personal experience I find that with simpler riffs (typically in drop D, or some other drop tuning) I feel more comfortable with my guitar lower... but when I have things that require more refined motion I need it a bit higher .

also you can try angleint the guitar to your left or right, I've noticed I lean my guitar slightly so that my neck is pointed out toward the audeince and my grip becomes better than when it sits flat infront of me, so you can try that too.

2nd thread your helping me with, thanks man

My bass usually hangs right around my hips, and im not playing anything to crazy on it, but I can reach all over it no problem with my wrist.

I'll have to try angling it out more, I think that's more like I play when I sit down.

Also, it only really hurts my wrist on the guitar when I go down below the fifth fret.
Quote by L.A.P.D.
2nd thread your helping me with, thanks man

My bass usually hangs right around my hips, and im not playing anything to crazy on it, but I can reach all over it no problem with my wrist.

I'll have to try angling it out more, I think that's more like I play when I sit down.

Also, it only really hurts my wrist on the guitar when I go down below the fifth fret.

then you probably need to tilt it up slightly so it sits kind of like / instead of -, if that makes sense to you
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by L.A.P.D.
slanted ahead of me? or slanted up or down?

slanted up, would probably be the answer, but yes up or down....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by billie11wyatt
I think if you get sore wrist with strap it's because your guitar's position is a little bit low. I know it looks cool. However, raise up your guitar position might be the answer to your problem.

I've tried raising my strap as high as it can go, it still hurts.
^ dont go too high, because you end up with a similar problem as too low....
Quote by Dirk Gently
well iv been playing guitar standing since i started learning pretty much. i have my dean mlx under my waist.
Though in my case, i cant play fast sitting down. i can only do chords while on my ass =P