So, yesterday I went to the city and I stopped by Daddy's Junky. I brought my Agile with me, I wanted to play around with a few amps.

For my next amp purchase I was planning on going the typical metal route, with a 6505+ 112 combo. I'd played it a few times, liked it. But lately I've been wanting more versatility.. I've gotten into a lot more music as of late, and I've been wanting to get into recording.

So I read through a shit ton of threads here, and decided that the Vypyr would be my main thing I wanted to see. They ended up having a Vypyr tube 120 head with a 412 with V30s, and I played with it for nearly 3 hours.

After some extensive testing, I've decided that the Vypyr tube 60 combo might be a great choice for me. Much more versatile than the 6505 combo, and I honestly thought the 6505 setting sounded just as good as the real thing. Go figure.

SO, Tl;Dr, is the Vypyr 60 a good choice for what I want? I play a lot of metal, but I've been using a lot of cleans lately. I've been getting more and more into djent, progressive metal, and instrumental melody stuff. Think Scale the Summit, Protest the Hero, Periphery, TesseracT, Dream Theater.

A big thing about the Vypyr for me as well is the USB recording interface it has. Me and a friend have been using his Spider III 15 for recording straight into his soundcard (Honestly hasn't sounded THAT terrible.. Go figure ) and the Vypyr is miles ahead of the Spider. Would this be a good choice for direct recording until I can actually afford a USB interface?

As for a budget right now, it's not set. My birthday is on Sunday, I could possibly get a small amount of money, but I'm not gonna count my chickens before they hatch. I'm trying to sell my HT-5 right now, as well as my Schecter and both Ibanez's.. But I will probably attempt to go used. There's a Tube 60 combo with the Sanpera I for $250 about 45 minutes from where I live.. if I can round up the cash in time, I might just buy that.
The Vypyr is the go-to budget amp modeling amplifier on the market today. If you like it, you probably won't be disappointed with your purchase.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
I'd definitely go for that Vypyr w/ Sanpera deal. That's an incredible price for both.

Yes, I'd take a Vypyr Tube over a 6505+ 112 any day of the week. The 112... it's just not the real thing. Construction wise and sonically. The Vypyr Tube is a much better purchase. I don't have a lot of trouble believing that the 6505 model on the Vypyr tube is as good as the 6505+ 112.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Its a great amp. I dont think the 6505 setting really sounds like the actual thing but it still sounds good. The dual rec setting on that amp is amazing. Definitly better cleans than a 6505 will have. Though I will say the effects dont impress me that much but they are better than many other moddlers.
The Duel Rec was pulling out a djent tone WAY better than the 6505 combo I used. I was really shocked when I played it. The tone blew me away.

Alright, I just wanted some opinions from you guys before I started going down that route.

After playing the Vypyr, it does seem like a better choice than the 6505. I guess I was a little biased towards modellers after I owned a Cube and played a Spider which sounded really bad
Quote by TheAbsentOne
The Duel Rec was pulling out a djent tone WAY better than the 6505 combo I used. I was really shocked when I played it. The tone blew me away.

Alright, I just wanted some opinions from you guys before I started going down that route.

After playing the Vypyr, it does seem like a better choice than the 6505. I guess I was a little biased towards modellers after I owned a Cube and played a Spider which sounded really bad

most people are turned off by moddlers are playing a spider lol. But honestly the tube vypyrs are the best hybrids available. The tubes really do make a difference on it compared to the solid state versions. A full tube really does sound better but most of the time people listening to your music wont know the difference.
Using a Vypyr COMPLETELY changed how I will look at modellers. Not all have to be as terrible as Spiders, it seems

Well thanks. I am really gonna try to score that tube 60.. I knew $250 was a good deal, but I wasn't gonna jump on it before I had a chance to use one myself and know for sure that it would get me a tone I wouldn't tire of.

I'll be very happy with the incredible versatility of it as well, at least I hope. We'll just have to see in the long run.
If I ever found one for a good price I'd buy it, but the power of those amps is a little overbearing for bedroom playing and whatnot. And I can't record with 'em without a mic or something (Honestly don't know, I know nothing about recording unless I'm using a line in).

However I've never seen one on Craigslist

I just need the versatility as well, which is where my HT-5 has failed me along with the wattage problem for when I actually want to join a band.
I mean, I ran one in a college dorm room for quite a while

They are master volume amps so can be turned down. They don't sound quite as good, but it's definitely not impossible.

Those amps can be a pain in the ass to mic, not always the most silent.

If you want versatility though, I'd pass on the 5150 line completely. Look into the peavey JSX, XXX, or see if you can find an older triumph or ultra or ultra+. The JSX in particular is pretty versatile and does come in smaller combo form (as does the xxx, and the ultra. Never seen a triumph combo.)

If you just want something nice and versatile, the egnator tweaker is pretty great.

I'd recommend a carvin V3, but you said volume is an issue.
I own a Tube 60. It's great. However, the USB line-out is garbage. After comparing the tone I got out of that with an SM57, it's like night and day.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I really like the Vypyr 60, it's an awesome amp that can be had on the cheap. However, I didn't really like the 6505 setting, nor did I really think it sounded like a 6505 (same as the other Peavey models) the Recto setting for me had the most clarity and the heaviest tone (but, again, sounded nothing like the real thing).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The interface on the Peavy Vypyr is awful and completely unusable, one of the most hated things about the amp on the peavey forum, it is really fizzy and the EQ controls make minimal difference, the line out is a little better but the latency/quality is still really bad.

I've the 120 watt Peavey Vypyr, its a good practice amp , the stock speaker is what lets it down though, it would sound way better through a 4X12 cab with V30s like you mentioned, I think I'll sell mine and get the 30 watt model.
^
Longest.
Sentences.
Ever.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.