i have been playing guitar for over 4 years now, and get lessons every week i play alot of different styles, i can play advanced fingerpicking and solo on an electric but let me get to the point. about a year ago i learnt to play fear of the dark in tapping style but now i am learning something a little harder i want to play heart shaped box but play the guitar part with my left hand and the melody on the other. i have memorised both the parts can play both the parts easy but when i try to play both at the same time i just cant do it. any tips???????????
Quote by RyanBreslin
i have been playing guitar for over 4 years now, and get lessons every week i play alot of different styles, i can play advanced fingerpicking and solo on an electric but let me get to the point. about a year ago i learnt to play fear of the dark in tapping style but now i am learning something a little harder i want to play heart shaped box but play the guitar part with my left hand and the melody on the other. i have memorised both the parts can play both the parts easy but when i try to play both at the same time i just cant do it. any tips???????????

Yeah, one simple thing that will solve all your problems:

Ask the person you are paying money to for knowledge.

Seriously, why pay this person if you're not going to ask them to teach you what you want to learn? That's the whole point of you giving them money.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I could offer some advise. Anything like this is down to feel. Very much how a drummer learns things is through focusing on how the body feels through different rhythms etc. Its very different to guitar playing where we can learn by visuals, or ear.

Take it in bite sized chunks and focus on how the rhythm feels between the 2 parts slow it right down and take 1 bar, repeat it untill you get they 2 hands synced without the need to focus on it then move on and repeat. With stuff like that you got to think outside a little and not the normal guitar way.

Think like a drummer!
thanks rex, and my teacher is great he helped me with the melody, the position of the notes on the fret board but he himself does not tap
Quote by RyanBreslin
thanks rex, and my teacher is great he helped me with the melody, the position of the notes on the fret board but he himself does not tap

You have a teacher who cannot teach you what you want to learn. You are paying this man too much, find someone who can teach you what you want to learn and pay them instead because if you're paying someone to do something and they're not doing it there's not much point is there?

I don't mean to rag on him, I'm sure he's great but seriously, if he's not teaching you exactly what you want to learn, why bother?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
like i said i most of the time i fingerpick, this is only the 2nd tapping song i have done in over 4 years of playing
Just teach yourself how to tap. Start with simple stuff (always use a metronome!) like:

e 12 15 12 15 12 15

Fret the E with your index finger and tap the G with your index or middle finger (I prefer middle finger, but test all possible ways of tapping).

When you can do that, try stuff a little bit more complex:

5 8 12 8 5 8 12 8 5

Tap the 12, fret the rest with your left hand fingers. When you can do that, keep adding extra stuff, and try to switch between strings. You can teach yourself the basics of tapping just fine, no need to pay someone for that.

Something a little bit more complex could be:

12 0 5 7 8 10 12 10 8 7 5 0 repeat till your fingers bleed (again, the 12th fret is tapped).
Yeah
Last edited by TehDutchDude at May 8, 2011,
I have practice some songs with both hand tapping. I broke down every notes and practice left and right hand separately and them get two hands together to practice note by note in a very slow tempo. You can try it. Don't try to get many notes played at one time, it will mess you up.
thanks every 1 i have mastered the song, what i did was print out the guitar tab and write the melody ontop of the tab and practiced them as 1