Hey all.
I never composed anything in pentatonic, well I did but never knew what key Im in.
Isn't the right pentatonic the original minor key such as I'm in D minor then if I want to bast some pentatonics I'll do D minor pentatonic?
And can I still use like A#minor even though the A sharp isn't in D minior pentatonic but in the D minor scale?
The key will always be major or minor. The pentatonic will function over the major key as a major scale with accidentals, or over the minor key as the straight minor scale. Yes, you can use all the notes of the minor scale over the minor key. Minor is the key, not pentatonic.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You could think of the Dminor pentatonic as a cut-down simplified Dminor scale. It is useful as a 'go to' scale because the notes it contains are relatively 'safe' (its harder to play a 'bad' note over a chord that would fit in the key of Dminor).

You can add the Bb if you want to give it more colour, but it might not sound good over every chord and you then lose the 'safe' characteristic of the scale.

EDIT: I mis-read your question.

Yes the Dminor pentatonic will sound ok over a Bbminor chord (you still have two chord tones, D and F) but don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself!
Last edited by Daffron at May 6, 2011,
Quote by Daffron
You could think of the Dminor pentatonic as the Dminor scale but with notes missing. It is useful as a 'go to' scale because the notes it contains are relatively 'safe' (its harder to play a 'bad' note over a chord that would fit in the key of Dminor).

You can add the Bb if you want to give it more colour, but it might not sound good over every chord and you then lose the 'safe' characteristic of the scale.

I always play the major third of the root or the major 6th of the root but anyways.
Aren't the second and 6th degree not the least important notes because you can replace them by 2 others in the pentatonic?
If you want to hear a good example of the major third in there you got to listen to lay it down by Ratt in the solo where the guitarist bends a note up a whole step and then lowers it to a half step bend.
I'm really confused.

If you have a song in D major, take out the G and C# in your licks if you want. Likewise, if you have a song in D minor, take out the E and Bb if you want.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by liampje
Aren't the second and 6th degree not the least important notes because you can replace them by 2 others in the pentatonic?

The degrees aren't replaced just because you don't play them. They continue to exist just the same, as the key is not pentatonic, the key is major or minor.

Learn about major and minor scales and keys, harmonisation and chord construction and all will be answered.

Alternatively you can keep making these random threads and learn nothing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A# minor (i presume you mean Bb minor) in D minor? if your adding the major 6th into your pentatonics your not playing pentatonic anymore, penta = 5, pentatonic with added 6th, not five notes.