hey guys i was just wondering what the name is for amps that have more than one input (so you can plug more than one guitar in at a time). what do you call this?
There's no name for them that I'm aware of. I'd call it a four input amp.
i'm pretty sure that the point of having 4 inputs isn't to plug multiple guitars into the same amp, either

you might be thinking of a PA system, but i don't think you'd want to plug a guitar straight into one - they are generally designed to take low-impedance, line level signals, and the signal an electric guitar produces is neither of those things. plugging a guitar into a PA will give you horrible harsh but muffled clean tone...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 6, 2011,
Amplifier

EDIT: sorry, that was sarcastic. What colin's saying, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
muffeled shit
high end peavey's come with 2 inputs but they are not meant to be used together
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Yeah I was confused at that too. The JSX, I guess? Not really high end but it's the most expensive peavey product I can think of.

Edit: Never mind, they discontinued that. Looks like the 6505+ is their most expensive model (The Gary Rossington signature Penta costs more but I'm not going to count that because it's a massive piece of crap).
Quote by Blompcube
i'm pretty sure that the point of having 4 inputs isn't to plug multiple guitars into the same amp, either

you might be thinking of a PA system, but i don't think you'd want to plug a guitar straight into one - they are generally designed to take low-impedance, line level signals, and the signal an electric guitar produces is neither of those things. plugging a guitar into a PA will give you horrible harsh but muffled clean tone...

I beg to differ. The ads for those old four input amps often showed multiple people plugged in. Even though few people ever actually went down that path and discovered other neat ways to utilise those inputs, I do think that they initially intended multiple guitarists to use it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by deepsal
muffeled shit
high end peavey's come with 2 inputs but they are not meant to be used together

So any amp, with more than one input sound like muffled shit?

LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The first 3 clips in my profile are my buddy and I plugged into the same amp. One input is low impedance so I'm using an RP1000 multifx that can drive a low impedance. The other input is normal and my friend is using pedals. The amp is a 1967 Gibson Hawk 2 x EL84 with a 10" speaker. The recording is a Line 6 Backtrack about 6 feet away so it's a room recording that catches the drum machine playing through the stereo.
Quote by Cathbard
I beg to differ. The ads for those old four input amps often showed multiple people plugged in. Even though few people ever actually went down that path and discovered other neat ways to utilise those inputs, I do think that they initially intended multiple guitarists to use it.

ah yes, fair point - i did consider the possibility that that might've been an acceptable thing to do back in the days before they had PA systems and before they used any sort of overdrive

i thought that the inputs on 4-input amps were hi and lo inputs for separate channels, though - i guess it depends on the amp though

Quote by SimplyBen
So any amp, with more than one input sound like muffled shit?

I think he meant they sound like muffled shit when using them at the same time. amps with multiple channels and an input for each can do the job fine to a certain extent, provided you're not driving the power-amp hard - obviously just using separate amps would give you a lot more separation between the guitars though.

if you have an amp with hi and lo inputs, that's when plugging two guitars into it is likely to sound like muffled shit.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 6, 2011,
I've read that back in the day whole bands would be run on a single Bassman combo.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 6, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
I've that back in the day whole bands would be run on a single Bassman combo.

Yep, back in the days before drumkits were held together with RSJ's and 1 tonne bolts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some amps, like the Fender Deluxe, for example, have 2 channels, 2 inputs per channel. One input will have less gain and be quieter on each channel. On one of my amps, i will plug into the tremolo channel but keep the volume low, then jumper to the other channel and turn it up, so that there is a slight trem in the back ground but it is not the primary sound coming out.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
Some amps, like the Fender Deluxe, for example, have 2 channels, 2 inputs per channel. One input will have less gain and be quieter on each channel. On one of my amps, i will plug into the tremolo channel but keep the volume low, then jumper to the other channel and turn it up, so that there is a slight trem in the back ground but it is not the primary sound coming out.

Get an A/B/Y box man. You'll love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Four holer amp iz best amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
Get an A/B/Y box man. You'll love it.

I have one, i actually really like the sound of the 2 channels jumpered. it isn't my normal playing rig, but I do like to mess around with different settings and sounds.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
I have one, i actually really like the sound of the 2 channels jumpered. it isn't my normal playing rig, but I do like to mess around with different settings and sounds.

Yes and if you use your ABY you can switch between jumpered and one or t'other.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ampeg made a bass amp with four inputs. It may have been the V4-B. I've never really looked into it too much, just saw a picture. They probably all do something different.
..I was watching my death.
^ I played one and it's pretty trashy compared to a Marshall or Hiwatt 4-holer.

Maybe if you changed the transformers out so they're less hi-fi sounding, but once you've done that you could have just bought a whole PTP plexi kit anyways.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ I played one and it's pretty trashy compared to a Marshall or Hiwatt 4-holer.

Maybe if you changed the transformers out so they're less hi-fi sounding, but once you've done that you could have just bought a whole PTP plexi kit anyways.

It sounds sterile? As in what sort sterile? Flat sounding like a home stereo? Or plain horrible>
Quote by GS LEAD 5
It sounds sterile? As in what sort sterile? Flat sounding like a home stereo? Or plain horrible>

It just doesn't have the same midrange. It's a bit hollow sounding, but not really scooped.

It's really had to qualify with words.

The Tone King (lol what a buffoon) has a demo where you can sort of hear what's going on between a JCM 800 1959 model and a Bugera 1960. It's a bad demo, but it gives you an idea - the differences are more pronounced when you play them.

Like I said, it might make a good cheap alternative to a kit if you weren't proficient at building and could pick up a used one to do an output transformer swap with, but stock I'm not a fan.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

The Tone King (lol what a buffoon)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?