Hello

So how much time should I dedicate to ear training?

Is 1 hour a day enough for me to develop a pretty good relative pitch?

How long did you develop relative pitch?
I havent exactly done ear training that is one of things to do start this summer. But my view is its all relative to the person, everyones different so just keep on training until you get it
Try transcribing. It helps with three aspects of music at once: ear training, repertoire, and reading (if you're writing it on staff paper as well).
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
As much as possible, and as much as your willing to do.
Yep. If you're willing to do an hour of focused ear training a day, you're in great shape.

What is your approach to ear training going to be like? Do you plan to apply everything or just mindlessly identify a bunch of intervals?

Honestly, I got my relative pitch to the point I'm at now through two things: Singing and playing by ear (e.g. transcription and just jamming).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at May 6, 2011,
Quote by food1010
Yep. If you're willing to do an hour of focused ear training a day, you're in great shape.

What is your approach to ear training going to be like? Do you plan to apply everything or just mindlessly identify a bunch of intervals?

Honestly, I got my relative pitch to the point I'm at now through two things: Singing and playing by ear (e.g. transcription and just jamming).

Sorry for the late reply

Well I haven't thought about it much yet but I am doing exercises every other day for about 2 hours. Been trying to identify chords and such(failing miserably) but I am working on nursery rhymes and some random songs in my head. I'm doing the chord ear training with bob dylan songs first. I kinda know if it's a major or minor but I don't know what chord it is really (a G major, A minor etc).

So as much as possible then? Thanks for the advice guys

Edit:

Whoops I said 1 but I sometimes push my practice for it to 2 hours. Sorry bout that
Last edited by gothblade at May 8, 2011,
Spend as much time as you are willing to. As a music major at University I have to take 4 classes that focus entirely on ear training. I recommend a website like teoria.com or good-ear.com for finding practice exercises. Be able to transcribe melodies and also be able to sing new melodies just from reading the notation. I highly recommend you learn solfége syllables.; once you get used to them they are immensely helpful.