So I bought and successfully installed a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge position of my Epi Les Paul yesterday (first attempt at soldering - works like a champ!!! ). Anyway, the guy at the store recommended that I adjust it as close to the strings as possible without actually knocking the strings into the pickup when palm-muting or just getting after it.

Does that sound like good advice or are there some other guidelines? I just wanted to hear some second opinions. Thanks!
More output the closer the pick up to string, less if its lower from the strings. Indeed personal preference, the pick up should function either way.
With the pickup closer to the strings, you'll get more output, but it can also get muddy if it's too high. You have to find a nice balance.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I personally like mine quite low, so I can play almost clean or distorted with the OD on, depending on the attack I use - So I can change the sound with my hands, rather than my feet, which seems to flow better.
Quote by KailM
So I bought and successfully installed a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge position of my Epi Les Paul yesterday (first attempt at soldering - works like a champ!!! ). Anyway, the guy at the store recommended that I adjust it as close to the strings as possible without actually knocking the strings into the pickup when palm-muting or just getting after it.

Does that sound like good advice or are there some other guidelines? I just wanted to hear some second opinions. Thanks!

Nope, the guy in the store is clueless.

The D-Sonic has a pretty strong magnet, too close to the strings you'll get some wiedr overtones and it'll start to eat sustain - you'll probably struggle to get it to mud up though as it cuts like a scalpel. What you need to do is balance the volume levels between the neck and bridge, granted you might want the bridge a little louder but you don't want there to be a massive difference in the levels.

So don't worry too much about how it looks, focus more on the sound it's making although as a rough guide I'd say you want a gap of at least 5mm when the string is frettsed. You'll probably find you want to have the pickup slightly offset too - for example if the lower strings are too boomy you might want to have the bass side lower than the treble.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Nope, the guy in the store is clueless.

The D-Sonic has a pretty strong magnet, too close to the strings you'll get some wiedr overtones and it'll start to eat sustain - you'll probably struggle to get it to mud up though as it cuts like a scalpel. What you need to do is balance the volume levels between the neck and bridge, granted you might want the bridge a little louder but you don't want there to be a massive difference in the levels.

So don't worry too much about how it looks, focus more on the sound it's making although as a rough guide I'd say you want a gap of at least 5mm when the string is frettsed. You'll probably find you want to have the pickup slightly offset too - for example if the lower strings are too boomy you might want to have the bass side lower than the treble.

This. Like with my BKP Painkiller, extremely tight low end, and very middy pickup, so I have it sitting about 5 mm from the strings, I have the bass side of the pickup(near the low EA and D) higher, at 5mm, than the treble side( near GB and high E) which is sitting at around 3.5 to 4mm high.
with passive pickups you cant put them that close, the magnetic pull will actually screw with your sustain, but with active pickups thats a different story
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
with passive pickups you cant put them that close, the magnetic pull will actually screw with your sustain, but with active pickups thats a different story

Not only that but it can mess with your string action. I had a friend that had a problem with his fretts buzzing and when i lowered the pickup the buzzing stopped. The average distance from the string that repair shops and luthiers put it at is 3/32" on the high end and 4/32" on the low end. Obviously you can slightly ajust it depending on your preferances but i wouldn't go much closer than that with such stong pickup.
Thanks for all the replies guys! I must have done something right though because it sustains for an eternity. It is, however, noticably louder than the neck pickup, which I'll probably replace one day - though I kind of like the sound of it as-is.

I'll play around with the D-sonic though to get the best sound.

Edit: I just lowered the pup a little, and holy cow - what a difference! The tone just got super punchy and nasty!!! (in a good way.) I didn't think my 6505 could get much more brutal - I was dead-wrong. My rig is just....VIOLENT now. That's the best term I can think of.
Last edited by KailM at May 6, 2011,
Quote by KailM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I must have done something right though because it sustains for an eternity. It is, however, noticably louder than the neck pickup, which I'll probably replace one day - though I kind of like the sound of it as-is.

I'll play around with the D-sonic though to get the best sound.

Edit: I just lowered the pup a little, and holy cow - what a difference! The tone just got super punchy and nasty!!! (in a good way.) I didn't think my 6505 could get much more brutal - I was dead-wrong. My rig is just....VIOLENT now. That's the best term I can think of.

Ya I always thought this was an unbelievably overlooked aspect of guitar tone. I spent an hour or two one day tweaking each pick up... Thinking about it now I may redo them to fit my current amp a bit better.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!