I have an Ibanez afs77t and its slightly too large for my liking, i bought it off ebay for like £200 or sumthing. Does anyone know a rough price that i could sell this for bearing in mind there is one on the U.S ebay for $400 and mines in better condition.

Im more interested in a sorta Epi les paul or something similar, does anyone have any suggestions my budget is Max £350 and will probably be a second hand purchase.

Another thing about buying guitar when your a complete beginner which i find strange is that people say 'go to the guitar store and find one you like and give it a play but compare it to others you also like and pick the best' but what the hell do you play when your a complete beginner and how do u know what it should 'feel' like. Im saying this because i chose mine totally on looks and im finding it difficult to play as its uncomfortable holding it.

Thanks
did you buy the ibanez second-hand? If so, then I'm guessing (assuming you didn't pay over the odds for it, and that there's nothing wrong with it) you could probably get back roughly what you paid for it.

I agree it's pretty hard to know what you like when you can't already play. Logic apparently isn't most guitarists' strong point

The absolute ideal is to have a friend or family member who has a spare guitar you can borrow until you can play enough to have a fair idea what you like. Obviously that's not possible if you don't have a guitar playing friend or family member.

If you're willing to go second-hand you could probably pick up an MIJ (made in Japan) Tokai for that kind of money- it'll destroy an epiphone. However, much like your complaint that you can't try out a guitar if you can't already play, if you don't already play and know how guitars work how will you tell if it's in good condition, that there's nothing wrong with it, that it's not a fake or a cheaper model (cheaper tokais aren't made in japan and aren't as good or worth as much), etc. etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ha yeah i think your right about the logic thing there,

Just checked out some of the Tokai les paul line they look sweet, im into more of a bluesy style of play and some rock sorta Kings of Leon, Guns n Roses sorta stuff . Just had a look at utube and they sound real nice definatly got a bluesy tone.
Thanks for the reply and the heads up about Tokai as iv never heard of them before definatly worth looking into.
You can still go into a guitar shop just to get the feel of a guitar.. Sure you may not be able to do much with it but you can see how heavy it is, if it's comfortable for you to hold and even just playing a few random notes will let you know if you like the sound and feel of the fretboard.
yeah its too bad that there isnt any guitar shops round hear which stock them : (
Looking for some Tokai les pauls but all the uk stockists seem to be selling ones made in china is there a difference?
Dude les pauls are frickin heavy as cement blocks and are pain in the arse to sit with and play, since the jack comes out of the bottom and if u dont have a decent chair WITH NO ARM rest 'things on it' youll have a hard time possitioning it.

Iv got an epi les paul standard, its ok, but i bought when i was in a same possition as you, i was a complete beginer never held a guitar in my life, and i was a GnR fanboy so.. an LP was a MUST.

Iv got a very very VERY cheap Epi SG ( i believe G300 ) and apart from the rather fat neck i find it more fun to play than my les paul ( only because its lighter and slimmer, damn that LP...) but by no means is it more superior!!/bold bold

Then again if you want the same 'specs' as a Epi Les Paul Standard Id say check out Epi SG standard. It has the same stuff, pickups,tunners,woods as the Les paul but the shape and the weight are far more 'superior' (to my likings) ( dont know about the neck it might be abit thicker )

Then again you could prolly check out a used Mexican HSS Stratocaster its a pretty solid guitar for a price ( you could get it at like.. 250$-300$ off ebay ? )

You might want to give some Schecters a go.... Like.. Schecter Omen 6 .. but its a more Metal kind of guitar, but it depens on what kind of amp youll use... and since your a beginner and will prolly have a rather low-mid end modeling amp.. cough* most guitars will prolly sound the same *cough

Honorable mentions:
Yamaha Pacifica
Vintage v100

EDIT:

Best way would be to go to a shop and just pick a guitar that you LIKE regardless if you cant play, just put it on your lap and hold it in your hands,

Unless you are destined, i can prolly guarantee 99% that if you get into guitar playing you WILL most DEFINETLY one way or another, sooner or later, want to try out/get other guitars so ... :P
Last edited by DocArunas at May 6, 2011,
Quote by bennyboi04
Looking for some Tokai les pauls but all the uk stockists seem to be selling ones made in china is there a difference?

yeah the japanese ones are way better. It's pretty much identical to the difference between epiphone and gibson.

you can find some japanese ones in shops, but they're probably rarer- they're a pretty small outfit, and from all i hear they generally struggle to keep up with demand. That's a good thing because it means they're not compromising in quality to keep up with demand (plus if people actually want them that doesn't hurt), but the flipside is it means they can be hard to find to actually get to try.

Though the les paul standard models are normally a little easier to find than some of the other models.

richtone in sheffield certainly has a bunch in stock- ls80 would be the cheapest one (though second-hand it just depends on what comes up).

EDIT: there are a couple of obvious things to identify the japanese ones- the truss rod cover has 2 screws on the japanese ones (3 screws on the chinese or older korean-made ones), and it should say "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock.

Obviously all bets are off if the person is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, but assuming it hasn't been tampered with, they're two basic things which tell you it's japanese.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 6, 2011,
Thanks guys for the help there's just so much out there lol, I have a Roland cube 30w so yeah it's not anything good really. Maybe il look into the 'strat' type but im just not so keen on that sorta shape, I might change my mind when I hold one to the other though so I will keep very open minded.
cube 30's pretty nice for a beginner modelling amp. You could do an awful lot worse.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah it was a bargain for 35 squid. Got lots of extra effects on it. I just got a link to a site Justinguitar anyone tryed this it looks great!
hard to go wrong for £35, new they're more like £150 (if not more). Good score
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how bout a squire standard strat or the affinity tele with a roland 20xl, nice amp and a nice beginner guitar.
Yeah iv been looking at the strats but I just can't get torn away from that les Paul look lol. Wham does anyone think about an ESP ltd EC256?
have you decided whether to go used or new?

Vintage (though I haven't tried their LP copies) are meant to be pretty good value in the UK if you're going new.

Used, you have a lot more options- the tokais I mentioned, or you'd have the option of higher-end LTDs etc. (general consensus seems to be the 400 series is where they start getting good).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bennyboi04
Yeah it was a bargain for 35 squid. Got lots of extra effects on it. I just got a link to a site Justinguitar anyone tryed this it looks great!

justinguitar is excellent, ive done the beginners and intermediate course, without one on one lessons youd do well to find a better start at guitar
Yeah probably used if I can just gonna keep an eye out for either of them and I will go to my local music shop to see what they have but they didn't have much last time. Having a bit of trouble finding anyone who stocks tokai from Japan.

Yeah there tons of videos and also of all different genres which is great.
richtone does

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/

though i think you might have to make an appointment to go?

and not much use if you want a s/h one.

frets music has a couple too (again, new)

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d91_Tokai.html

i haven't been to either of those shops or bought anything from them, though, so it's not a personal recommendation.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhh lol there soo many to choose from just looking at the links and theres a few that look nice, theres toooo many to choose why cant there just be one of each type of guitar lol.
ls80 is probably the cheapest... or the 85 is the same thing but with a flamed or quilted maple veneer over the plain maple top... other than that it's just colours which are different.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?