Hey all.
I decided to start making my own guitar from stuff on ebay.
I'm making it out of guitar bodies already cut out for everything, so I won't get trouble for that.
How do I put a coating or lacquer on my paint job.
And if I'va got a non painted body with nothing installed to it do I need to cover some things before spraying paint?
And I would like to get a few tips and to remember things.
Paint it BEFORE you attach all the pickups and whatnot. You just want to paint the raw wood. Basically, spray it with compatible primer, sand it spray it with color, sand it, clear coat it, wait a month to off gas and harden, sand and buff....
Quote by samhell
Paint it BEFORE you attach all the pickups and whatnot. You just want to paint the raw wood. Basically, spray it with compatible primer, sand it spray it with color, sand it, clear coat it, wait a month to off gas and harden, sand and buff....

After reading your post nevermind I'll just buy a way overpriced Jem guitar rather then making my own with more unique things fitting my specs.
Quote by liampje
After reading your post nevermind I'll just buy a way overpriced Jem guitar rather then making my own with more unique things fitting my specs.

Knee-jerk reaction?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Knee-jerk reaction?
I don't even know what he's saying.
Buffing, gas harden all that stuff is really abstract to me.
Quote by liampje

Here's the procedure and rationale:

1. Sanding sealer - fills in grain and gives a smooth, workable surface to start painting,
2. Undercoat - builds up thickness and provides a good surface for paint to adhere to,
3. Colour - self-explanatory
4. Clear coat - provides the protective coat to your paintwork. You need to leave it for a matter of weeks for the solvents to evaporate and the clear to harden.
5. Wet sanding - removes the tacky top coat and evens the finish,
6. Buffing and polishing - smooths the surface, then leaves a pretty shine.

It's a time-consuming process, but still cheaper in materials than buying a JEM. After your first two or three coats of clear, you should be wet sanding between each coat, otherwise it'll take ages to achieve a smooth surface, then you'll be sanding a tonne back when it's done.

Realistically, you're looking at a few weeks for the process. Sanding the wood and applying the sealer would probably take 24hrs, then a couple of undercoat sprays should be alright in 24hrs. Colour is similar - light coats sprayed often, allowing whatever the can states between coats, then at least 24hrs to dry before clear. The clear coat is probably two days' worth of staggered coats (do a couple one day, then hang up for 24hrs or so, then repeat the next day), then it'll need to be hung up and left alone for a couple of weeks at least for the solvents to evaporate and the finish to harden.
Or you can do a cheap job, just do #2 and #3 above. It wont look professional, but it will feel about the same.
Quote by liampje

Its really not difficult at all. Its a multi-step process that takes a little while but if you take your time you can pull it off quite easy. MintSauce laid out the steps quite nicely.

The off gassing is the paint/clear coat... even though it feels dry it really isn't. The solvents have to completely evaporate and just leave behind the pigment. The solvents basically "melt" the pigments together so as long as there is solvent, the paint won't be fully dry. If you don't wait it will be soft enough to mark/dent. That means if you sand and buff (polish) and make it look bad ass without waiting for the coatings to really dry/harden, you will put it on the stand and where the stand touches the guitar will actually press into the surface. If you set it on carpet the texture of the carpet will actually press into the surface. The waiting part sucks... I have a EVH Wolfgang I am building and just painted/clear coated a couple weeks ago. Its killing me not being able to do anything to it. It seems ready to go but I've already ruined one guitar by not waiting so I learned my lesson.