Hey everyone,

for my next purchase I am wanting to get a decent super strat style guitar, can you guys help me find a guitar which has the following...

.Dual Humbuckers (they can be coil tapped, not too fussed though, not actives, not TOO much output just enough for hard rock and 80's hair metal)

.Nice thin/fast neck

.Floating trem (Official Floyd)

.A not too pointy body, had an Ibanez RG and really disliked the shape

.Priced under £700

The only guitar I can find at the minute is a Charvel Pro Mod SoCal, but I've heard alot of mixed things

Thanks guys
Quote by coolstoryangus
What bad stuff have you heard about the charvels?
Probably exactly what you want tbh

I've never properly used Dimarzio's before but I've been told by a few people that the Tone-zone (bridge) lacks alot of punch and is quite weak compared to similar suited Seymour Duncans, and that it lacks a bit of sustain due to the trem on it
Pickups can be changed... I like my tone zone
Prefer it to the seymour duncan offerings like the jb etc myself its all taste dude

Also they have seymour duncan equipped charvels as well..
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pickups can be changed... I like my tone zone
Prefer it to the seymour duncan offerings like the jb etc myself its all taste dude

Also they have seymour duncan equipped charvels as well..

Yeah true, I hate the look of the S.D equipped San Dimas though

I wish they had put the Dimarzios in the San Dimas, and the S.D's in the SoCals

I guess I could always just switch them out like you said though
Pickups really are personal taste i've heard alot more hate directed towards the seymour jb then i have the dimarzio tone zone.

There are certain things i wouldnt recommend the tone zone for, its a big,fat, bass heavy pickup which is great for thick shred leads. It can't do cleans... but hey thats what a neck pup is for. I wouldnt put it in a mahogany body guitar because a dark pickup in a dark guitar = mud city and i also would recommend it for low tuned metal but i think it works ok for 80s rock especially for leads! I myself use it in my desert yellow rg550 which is tuned in e flat for 80s rock and i quite like it
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 6, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pickups really are personal taste i've heard alot more hate directed towards the seymour jb then i have the dimarzio tone zone.

There are certain things i wouldnt recommend the tone zone for, its a big,fat, bass heavy pickup which is great for thick shred leads. It can't do cleans... but hey thats what a neck pup is for. I wouldnt put it in a mahogany body guitar because a dark pickup in a dark guitar = mud city and i also would recommend it for low tuned metal but i think it works ok for 80s rock especially for leads! I myself use it in my desert yellow rg550 which is tuned in e flat for 80s rock and i quite like it

cheers man, thanks for all the help/info
Kramer, Charvel, Gary Kramer, Jackson, ESP M series, that new PRS SE or do the real 80s thing and build one yourself out of a banged up Strat. For under £700 you could make a helluva 80s guitar using Warmoth parts, a poplar soloist with a Jackson or Explorer neck in any of their neon colours would be spot-on. They'll even do you an angled bridge pickup.
Well the Ibanez sounds like it fits the bill, but failing that try Kramer, Jackson Dinky (as others have said) or look on the bay for an old Aria Pro II (I love those).
For that, you can't go wrong with Kramer. Get a Pacer or Focus model. But make sure it's an 80's model Kramer or earlier, ones made by Gibson after that aren't even at the same level with original Kramers.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Bc rich has a gunslinger retro out in neon green, red, yellow, and black..
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
4thing my own suggestion and 2nding the kramer, everyone of those ive ever seened screamed 80s and played amazingly, even a cheap ass 200$ one FROM THE 80S