Hey everyone

I've got to write a 2000 word research briefing for my A2 Physics coursework and i'm doing about the acoustic guitar..., ive covered the electric guitar and how the pick ups work through magnetic fields, flux, induced currents etc, but need advice on the acoustic ??

Many Thanks.

Equipment:
LAG Arkane
Stagg E300
Stagg P300 (Bass)
Herrald HL44 (Acoustic)
Essentially, the acoustic guitar relies on the motion of the strings transfering into the acoustic guitar body via the saddle and bridge. The guitar's wooden body acts as an amplification box and creates sound.

Important to note: The strings of an acoustic guitar are heavier than electric guitars. They are not designed for pickups, but for acoustic resonance. The tension of the strings and the contact between the strings and the guitar(mainly the saddle and bridge, but also through the guitar nut to a lesser extent) play primary roles in sound production.

Wood is used because of its ability to vibrate freely while still being very structurally sound. Structural integrity is much more important in acoustic guitars than electric guitars since all of the sound is produced via a vibrating body. Of course, there are other materials such as carbon fibre, but they do not produce the same kind of sound.

Acoustic guitars are traditionally put together with mainly hide glue, although some parts will use other types of glue. The guitar is reinforced with interior bracing, the design of which is absolutely integral to its sound. Bracings must be acoustically tuned by trained and experienced luthiers as machines are not able to differentiate what constitutes a well tuned brace. Each piece of wood is unique and so are the carvings required to make the instrument optimal.

There's a lot more stuff I could talk about, but it's a bit much.

Try looking at frets.com. That could help you out a bit.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks guys =) i'll look into them =) x

Equipment:
LAG Arkane
Stagg E300
Stagg P300 (Bass)
Herrald HL44 (Acoustic)
Yeah if you've not done harmonics and resonance then this would be a good place for it. You can talk about how strings that aren't being played resonate in sympathy etc. You could also relate tension to the frequency of the note, plot a graph or something, using different string thicknesses too. You'd need to use equipment other than the guitar though, so you know how much tension you're applying. I did a lab this year on something similar.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Talk about the relationship between the tension, linear mass density and wave propagation speed maybe.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Thanks for your replies everyone =)

I've done a page on the strings and the relation ship between wave speed, tension, mass density and length, v=√T/(m/l) etc,

Just now got to elaborate on the string harmonics, does anyone have any ideas or useful websites where I can look into this further?

Thanks again =) x

Equipment:
LAG Arkane
Stagg E300
Stagg P300 (Bass)
Herrald HL44 (Acoustic)
Quote by G.Krizzel
These are the physics of the acoustic guitar:

(acoustic guitar + long hair) ^ "play wonderwall" = girls saying "omg, you're so cute!"

That is definatley true, but I'm after string harmonics

Equipment:
LAG Arkane
Stagg E300
Stagg P300 (Bass)
Herrald HL44 (Acoustic)
Talk about how if you fill the acoustic guitar with sand that is will no longer work
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by Geebz
Talk about how if you fill the acoustic guitar with sand that is will no longer work

That thread was hilarious
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Ok need some serious replies now, anything on string harmonics?

Equipment:
LAG Arkane
Stagg E300
Stagg P300 (Bass)
Herrald HL44 (Acoustic)
Quote by apple_head
Ok need some serious replies now, anything on string harmonics?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=string+harmonics
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
You should have a chapter explaining the dangers of putting sand in the acoustics of a guitar.
What a long strange trip it's been

Nothing to see here.

You hail the calves as eloquently as any facade of Easter Island.

Quote by Pencil Man
You know it get's serious when UG's Obama tells you off.

Call me Mr. President