If two people that each spoke different languages were left stranded in a remote land

with no chance of rescue, and the equipment and skill set to survive long term, would they eventually learn each others language or would their languages mix together and form sort of a new language(much like the 2nd and 3rd generation Turkish immigrants in Germany that didn't learn Turkish or German properly so they speak a hybrid of both)?

Assuming both had no prior knowledge of the other's language, what do you think would happen.

I've been wondering and I can't really decide. o!
no. they'd kill each other first as a result of cultural differences.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I honestly think they'd either kill each other, or live on opposite sides of the island and die of starvation before they merged languages.
That or living in silent harmony
Quote by theogonia777
no. they'd kill each other first as a result of cultural differences.

Good one.
Read Nation by Terry Pratchett.
In that two people who speak completely different languages are stranded together on an island.

They start to pick up common words they use on the island, such as bird, sun, sea etc. then one of them learns the other's language with the help of some others that turn up. From there she teaches her language to the other.

Of course it's fictional, but it makes sense to me that that would likely happen.
Pretty much communicate via sign language of some sort. And in time catch up some words from one another.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
They would mix together. Besides being how languages form anyway, this has been documented in recent times with the language Russenorsk, which is how Norwegian and Russian traders who don't speak one another's languages communicated with one other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russenorsk

Wow very interesting read, thanks for that. Yeah this probably is the most likely thing that would happen.
Quote by Eric_Fail
Wow very interesting read, thanks for that. Yeah this probably is the most likely thing that would happen.

Yeah, it happens quite a lot. It's the same way that Pidgin English happens in parts of the world where English invaders have to communicate with the natives, it's quite interesting.
This happens all the time. Not exactly how you present it, but there's many countries where you can hear a mix of two languages such as spanish and english and similar patios.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Major part of population in Moldova is russian-speaking and another major part is romanian-speaking. Mix of languages is a common thing here. Like literally, five words in russian and three in romanian in the same sentence or vice versa is common. I think those guys would mix their languages too.
Kombat Gear:

I think they'll kick each other's bikes to be honest.

No but really, they'd form a hybrid.
          dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
          as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
          everything that you've come to expect

Eventually they'd learn each other's languages, but before that it would be a weird mix of both languages and hand signals.
          Body language and facial gestures. I assume the meshing of the two languages as well
          [img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
          Quote by laid-to-waste
          This happens all the time. Not exactly how you present it, but there's many countries where you can hear a mix of two languages such as spanish and english and similar patios.

I assume you mean patois, and not:

Although I suppose two people from different cultures might bond over a shared love of garden design.
          MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
          I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
          <//////>~ dA
          Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
          Quote by esther_mouse
          I assume you mean patois, and not:

Although I suppose two people from different cultures might bond over a shared love of garden design.

binary, C++, sign,

yeah, theyll make it, actually, language its self eventually started like this, with austrolopitecus, so we could probably do it, in a long time for sure
          They'd probably figure out some rough way of communicating, with hands or pointing.
          Maybe they'd even learn phrases of eachothers languages in an attempt to comminucate easily.

It'd be fun, that's for sure.
          -------------------------------------------
          Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
          --------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3