I just bought an Ibanez rg321mh (got a killer deal) and have a Peavey Vypyr 15. Can anyone help me get a decent metal sound with this set up? I read a few other threads about metal on this amp but they weren't very much helpful. Thanks to anyone who helps.
Just mess with the EQ. Start on the 6505 channel, red. Bypass the effects, and turn the delay off. Then go from there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea, just use the 6505 model and you're there.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Should I have my pickup settings set to something specific? I don't know what is what, I didn't get a manual with it. There are like five settings or so and I believe 4 pups on the guitar.
As long as they're humbuckers it shouldn't matter if it's bridge, neck, etc
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Your axe has 2 pup's, both are humbuckers. Switch should have 3 positions. 1=Neck pup, 1=Bridge, and middle position is half of each. Put the switch all the way to either end and you're using a humbucker. Usually the switch is kinda ligned up so the switch corresp;onds to the pickups. So throw the switch towards the neck, and you're using the neck pup. Hope that helps.
OK, just read the Ibanez website for the switch....if it's 5 position, go here to see the setup....

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG321MH

Edited to add... Manuals are here, maybe yours is in there....

http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals

Edited to add more...btw, u may want to correct ur sig, make the 121 a 321

Otherwise peoplezzz will wanna know all about ur unique new gee-tar
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at May 8, 2011,
YES!!! My exact setup! *hi five*
i usually run the K.Stein red channel with pushed mids for hair metal and the Rec channel for metal. sometimes you really need to crank the eq settings to get a good sound. Look outside the box and try completely turning knobs rather than just tweaking them, especially if you are using the stock pups. If you have upgraded high output pups, turn down the amp gain and use the guitar's natural distortion from a high output bridge pup instead. It sounds better than the amp distortion.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Quote by IbanezBossShred
OK, just read the Ibanez website for the switch....if it's 5 position, go here to see the setup....

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG321MH

Edited to add... Manuals are here, maybe yours is in there....

http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals

I don't see mine in the manuals, I am pretty sure it is a 2011 model but the pickup selection image is helpful.

Anyone know what selection is generally best for what and why?

Quote by IbanezBossShred
u may want to correct ur sig, make the 121 a 321

Otherwise peoplezzz will wanna know all about ur unique new gee-tar

Oops hehe thanks, done
Last edited by DV8R at May 9, 2011,
Quote by eoinmorgan
i usually run the K.Stein red channel with pushed mids for hair metal and the Rec channel for metal. sometimes you really need to crank the eq settings to get a good sound. Look outside the box and try completely turning knobs rather than just tweaking them, especially if you are using the stock pups. If you have upgraded high output pups, turn down the amp gain and use the guitar's natural distortion from a high output bridge pup instead. It sounds better than the amp distortion.

I just have the stock pups. How about you? If you could give me further details of your settings so I can set it exactly as you have to try the settings out I would much appreciate it.

EDIT: Also do you know what gauge strings are default on our guitar? Someone said they are 10 by what their manual said, but I read elsewhere that they are 9. I have some 10-46 coated Elixirs from my previous guitar I could use for spares if they're 10 gauge.
Last edited by DV8R at May 9, 2011,
Those manuals are done more by year, than by particular instrument. If you know your guitar is still being currently made (yes it is), just download the latest manual for guitars. It has the setup for most of the guitars.
Oh and all I can tell you about the pickups and switch settings is that Humbuckers are better for distortion as a rule. On my Ibanez, they also are the hotter pickups of the 3 on it. I was told that neck pup's are better for rhythym and bridge pickups tend to be better for lead. But I dunno if that's true, I'm not a guitar guru (spelled G E E K ). Since I got a HSH setup, my switch settings are a bit different from yours.

Edited to add, Strings... I was told that my guitar came with .009-.042's. Specifically, D'Addario EXL120's. But again, that's like tenth hand info
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at May 9, 2011,
Quote by eoinmorgan

I was messing with K.stein last night but I think it was the green channel. It sounded really good, I think better than the 6505 I had saved. I'll mess with it some more later.