I am in the process of getting a new amp and had a question about the cabinet I have.
I'm getting a 50w head and currently have a cab rated at 45w. Is that still a safe combination to run? The impedance between the cab and head is fine, it's just the wattage difference that I'm wondering about.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Generally a good rule of thumb is the cab should have double the wattage rating than the head.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Won't be a problem, speakers can take almost twice their rated wattage before blowing. You'll lose headroom at high volumes though because the speaker is going to distort a lot sooner. Again though, I don't foresee it being an issue.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Awesome. Thanks for the help.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Quote by robertito696
Won't be a problem, speakers can take almost twice their rated wattage before blowing.

wut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think a 50 watt head into a 45 watt cab should be fine...
usually the speakers can take a wee bit more then what is rated but to be on the safe side i wouldnt all out crank the amp lol.

The other two comments i'm with dave.
WUT.
yeah 45 watts would be ok if you're only ever playing at low volumes.

But if you're cranking it at all, personally i wouldn't be happy. it might be fine... but it might not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It obviously not ideal but as long as you keep the volume reasonable the speaker will be fine. I've been running a 60watt head into a 60watt speaker for months now and never had a problem, of course I never take the volume over 5 or 6 to be on the safe side.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Hmm... Might have to look into getting another cabinet if I'm going to crank it...
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
He has a point - speakers are RMS rated like amps so they can take more of a beating than their rating indicates.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, here is the problem. Are amps rated RMS? If they are, both speakers and amps have the same offset, so we end up back in the same problem. Amp watts> speaker watts. If that's the case, I'm sure there is some company that makes some speakers that have the same feel with a higher capacity then what I have...
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Most amps are rated RMS.

A lot of boutique speaker manufacturers have speakers with the same voicings in multiple wattages.

Check out South Bay Ampworks (Scumback) if you're into the British vibe.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking into Weber and Eminence for replacements, and I'll take a look into them, too.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B