Hey i have a fender highway one strat and i love how it sounds floating cus it adds the little biot of shimmer cus of the springs. The one thing i dont like is how when i bend one string and play another string at the same time the second note is out of tune. Does anyone know of a way to counteract it that wont change the tone much ?
not really, that's sort of the tradeoff for having it floating. I guess having thicker strings and springs might help, but it might not (or might not help enough).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i guess... never used a tremsetter but isn't it supposed ti affect the feel of the trem? not sure if it'd affect the tone too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry but that is just the nature of the beast with a floating trem. i have a strat with a tremsetter and all that does is return it to the same spot to help keep in tune when whammying. the strings springs etc all interact together so there really isn't a way around it. as mentioned it's a trade off.
Yeah you can't have the trem both floating and also not going out of tune when you manually bend strings. You can minimise it by using lighter gauge strings, down tuning and reducing the spring tension in the back to match, but that will make your general tone suck, you might find it hard to play on and the reverb effect of the springs will be lessened.

The way to actually get the strongest reaction from the springs is actually to add the maximum five springs and tighten them all the way so they're constantly stretched. You won't be able to use the trem at all, it will be completely stuck down, but this gets the strongest sound out of the springs and increases your sustain a lot too.

If you want to use the trem floating though then you're screwed, notes going out of tune during manual bends is just the sacrifice you have to make for having a floating bridge. Tremsetters, Tremol-nos and other systems stop the bridge from floating, they're effectively the same as just tightening the springs in the back all the way.
hmm ill have to think about it , does anyone know what different artists have done ? like hendrix or srv and mayer etc ?
also i dont mind having it not float i dont use the trem but i like the natural reverb u get from the springs
Quote by ilovemystrat199
hmm ill have to think about it , does anyone know what different artists have done ? like hendrix or srv and mayer etc ?

clapton has the trem blocked. hendrix used his trem often and just lived with any tuning imperfections same with mayer.

grohl the tremsetter doesn't stop the trem from moving just makes it return to the same spot after using the trem.
im not so worried about tuning while using the trem its moreso the issue of playing two notes , bending one and the other comes out of tune
Locking tuners can help. Also, a little graphite rubbed in the nut and saddle slots will help reduce friction. In the end, you'll never get perfect stability unless you've got a locking trem and locking nut.
Quote by ilovemystrat199
stability isnt the issue its the change in pitch of other strings as you bend another

can't put it any other way, that problem won't go away it's just part of the deal with a floating trem. the string tension with the springs keeps it in place, change anything it throws that off some. there is a new trem system out that doesn't go out of tune (sorry can't remember the name) but that would probably change the tone.
Quote by monwobobbo

grohl the tremsetter doesn't stop the trem from moving just makes it return to the same spot after using the trem.
It stops the springs from vibrating in the same way is the point. It would kill the tone that OP wants.

OP if you don't really use the trem at all then add in all five springs and tighten them a ton, then leave the back cover off. That gives the same almost-reverb effect but the guitar will stay completely in tune when you use double stops and just in general, plus your sustain will increase too.
The only person who notices the second note changing pitch is you and any other guitarists with good ears. Everyone else is paying hearing the bend. So don't worry about it.