Right, this probably has been done before, but my search won't load.
Anyway, I actually can't sing at all, except screaming, which I am pretty mediocre at. What can I do to become a good singer? I like bands like Blink-182, Black Veil Brides, The Blackout and Slipknot.
Just out of curiosity, what does it matter what bands you like in this thread?
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by henkka_potku
Just out of curiosity, what does it matter what bands you like in this thread?

Just in case people want to know what I want to sing like.
I always advise actual lessons. You wouldn't learn how to swim or to drive a car any other way, would you?

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Practice what? How will I know if I'm practicing correctly? How will I know I'm not just setting myself up for ruining my voice?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
I always advise actual lessons. You wouldn't learn how to swim or to drive a car any other way, would you?

I did. Now my car has an awesome red paintjob
Well, I took lessons about 4 years ago and this is what the instructor made us do. First, we do what are called "Glyssandos", which are basically a warm up for the voice. Then, we did breathing exercises. Then, we would tune our voices to a musical instrument (in our case, a piano in the corner). Then, we look at some lyrics and start practicing.

At first, everyone sounds terrible, but if you keep practicing, slow steady improvements occur over time. You have to keep practicing, do vocal exercises and breathing exercises.
There are no short-cuts. Professional singers have spent years developing their voices.

ron666
If you play a Strat and get lessons, how can you sound like you're playing a Les Paul?

You can't.

Your voice is your voice. You sound like you. If you already basically sound like The Rev, then maybe you can sound more or less like him. If you don't, well.... you can't, really.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
If you play a Strat and get lessons, how can you sound like you're playing a Les Paul?

You can't.

Your voice is your voice. You sound like you. If you already basically sound like The Rev, then maybe you can sound more or less like him. If you don't, well.... you can't, really.

CT

I mean his style of voice, like high, but growly at the same time.
Quote by JD2k9
If I do get lessons, how can I sound like The Rev?

Well, like one of the previous posters has stated, your voice has a certain built in range. The instructor told me that mine was baritone. So this means that I can only sing within the baritone range. If I try to sing soprano, it will sound terrible.

Get someone to hear you and evaluate your voice and which natural range it falls under and then find out what range the Rev falls under.

If the two are similar then lessons might help you to eventually sound like The Rev, but if not, then I'm afraid there is not much you can do.

ron666
^ even within the same range, different singers will sound different.

Will Rod Stewart and Vince Neil ever sound alike? Nope. Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty? Nope.

CT

Quote by ron666
Well, like one of the previous posters has stated, your voice has a certain built in range. The instructor told me that mine was baritone. So this means that I can only sing within the baritone range. If I try to sing soprano, it will sound terrible.

Get someone to hear you and evaluate your voice and which natural range it falls under and then find out what range the Rev falls under.

If the two are similar then lessons might help you to eventually sound like The Rev, but if not, then I'm afraid there is not much you can do.

ron666

I have a pretty big range, I can go really high, but I can also sing quite low. I can make myself sound like the end of Fiction (the "I hope you'll find your own way" bit), but I can't sing in tune.
You can expand your range a bit with good practice, or destroy your voice with poor practice.

Trying to cop someone else's vocal tone and make it your own is poor practice. Pushing your voice beyond its limits, or pushing your voice to the breaking point without warming up is poor technique. Pushing it to the breaking point is potentially harmful anyway, but we all do it in some capacity.
Best way to go at it is to improve your vocal range by doing scales, that is my opinion anyway. Try and get on tune first, then work out some singing techniques
Quote by JD2k9
I have a pretty big range, I can go really high, but I can also sing quite low. I can make myself sound like the end of Fiction (the "I hope you'll find your own way" bit), but I can't sing in tune.

Just out of curiosity, how does one keep one's voice in tune consistently?? I have the same problem as you, some parts are in tune and other parts are not.

ron666
Quote by emil_sej

beautiful execution.

Quote by ron666
Just out of curiosity, how does one keep one's voice in tune consistently?? I have the same problem as you, some parts are in tune and other parts are not.

ron666

Yeah this, when "singing in key" with the song, are you supposed to follow the frequencies of the melody, or just the notes withing the key of the song....I know generally it's the same, but which is priority

and how many singers actually sang in key...I guess I can't tell while listening, I can match frequencies, but I cannot just listen and tell

so..
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Morning Teleportation
Red Hot Chili Peppers

do these guys sing in key?
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Jun 4, 2011,
learn to sing nice and clean before you go mimicking and trying to make your voice something its not.

you gotta learn to sing well before you can mess with different sounds you will ruin your voice.

Breath with your diaphragm focus on air moving back and upwards in your head. Stay relaxed and in your range. sing as effortless as possible and dont worry about all the high notes you cant reach.

Do your homework learn about the voice as you progress.
I'm not a very good singer tone wise(pitch wise ok) but I would say to play a note on an instrument that's in tune, like middle C and try to match that pitch until you get a good sound then try a different note and so on. Also like others have said just keep working on breathing as well. Maybe you should go to church and practice their... haha
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
To learn how to sing, one must take lessons and then practice, practice, practice, etc.'''

ron666
The first thing you have to do if you want to learn how to sing louder is check out your breathing. You must be able to breather using the whole diaphragm. Ever wonder why children can cry so loudly even if they have those really small lungs? It's because unlike us, they breathe correctly, utilizing the full power of their lungs. With more practice on your part, it's possible to sing out in the voice decibel that you want to with perhaps a bit more control.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvZng_V5lY
IMO getting in person lessons is critical. Sure online lessons may be helpful but there's a good bit of magic when you hang out with someone who can correct you who's in he room with you.

Doing bits and pieces like scales and stuff on a daily basis is a great strategy. For example song ' la ' on the following scale numbers

1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 (so C D E F G F E D C).

Work at a tone that's fairly natural for you. Then do things like 1,3,5 (and backwards) and 1,5. Then mix it up.

fi hope you know what I mean!