How do I go about matching up my pickups? I've got a HSS and I normally use any one of my pickups for a dirty tone, so I DON'T just prefer my humbucker for that. Right now, I've got a JB in my bridge.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting some Lace Sensors Gold and Blue (Gold for middle, Blue for neck position) but I'm not sure if they'll be a drastic change in sound...Honestly, I'm not sure what to do when it comes to matching them up.
Quote by Sid&Nancy
How do I go about matching up my pickups? I've got a HSS and I normally use any one of my pickups for a dirty tone, so I DON'T just prefer my humbucker for that. Right now, I've got a JB in my bridge.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting some Lace Sensors Gold and Blue (Gold for middle, Blue for neck position) but I'm not sure if they'll be a drastic change in sound...Honestly, I'm not sure what to do when it comes to matching them up.

If you buy the same brand most will have sets you can buy....If not find what you like and check frequencies
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
resistance is roughly analogous to output- everything else being equal (which it often isn't).

peak frequency is the general tone of the thing... higher number = brighter pickup (i think).

need to look up inductance, I think it tells you somewhere on the duncan site. EDIT: can't find anything about the inductance
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 6, 2011,
i usually match them by whichever sounds best in the bridge and whichever sounds best in the neck

i think if you do it based purely on numbers you're gonna miss out
yeah numbers only tell you so much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
one of the my favourite combos is a jb/jazz and those pick ups are worlds apart and thats what makes it appeal to me, can get down an dirty or as clean as possible, nice versatility and im sure on the spec sheet they couldnt be anymore un-matched
Frequency response is determined by resistance, capacitance and inductance. The inductance and capacitance are the main factors and the capacitance includes that of your cables. The capacitance of the windings in your pickups and the cable along with the inductance forms a resonant peak. Everything near the resonant peak is much stronger than the rest of the signal and freq response drops off sharply above that.

The formula for the resonant frequency is,

f= 1/SQRT(LC)

where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henries and C is the capacitance in Farads.

The resistance also forms a low pass filter with the capacitance of your pickups windings and the capacitance of your cable(s). Everything above drops off by about 20dB per logarithmic decade.

Once you get a feel for the frequency response you like and the natural frequency response of your guitar, it's pretty easy to look at a pickups specs and find out what you like and what you don't.

Output specs are pretty useless since you can change it just by changing the pickups' height and how hard you hit the strings.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs