This will be my first build! I want a nice 7 string guitar that I can call my own and I need everyone's help to make that a reality!

I will update this thread with pictures of our progress and of course the finished product

Here are some of the specifications of the guitar currently:

Measurements

Scale Length: 25 1/2”
No. Of Frets: 24 Jumbo
Neck Joint: Neck through
Neck Material: Birds Eye Maple
Fingerboard Material: Ebony
Body Material: Mahogany
Bridge Height: ¾ (19mm) Floyd Rose.
Body Thickness: 2” Plank planed to 1 ¾” or 1 ½” (44.4/38.1mm)
Head Thickness: ½” (38.1mm)
Head Angle: 15 degrees
String Spacing At Nut: 1/8” from edge of fretboard.
Inlays: Apples!

Hardware

Bridge: Schaller S-FRT II
Nut: Schaller R2
Neck Pickup: BK Holy Diver
Bridge Pickup: BK Ceramic NailBomb
Machine Heads: Gotoh SG381-07 H.A.P
Controls: Master Volume with 3-Way Pickup Selector Switch

Finish

Body: Oil Finish
Neck: Oil Finish

The styles I mainly play are classic rock, rock, progressive rock, melodic metal, metal, and some more metal!

Might try to combine these two?

So guys and gals I'm having a bit of a planning problem, and I was just wondering how you guys start creation of your guitars. I was thinking:
-Cut out and route the body
-Create the neck
-Install the truss rod
-Taper, radius, and do other fret stuff
-Then cut the headstock and shape the back of the neck
-Then route the cavities

I'm obviously putting a lot of thought into this guitar and I don't want to ruin/mess up the angle of the strings in relation to the frets. I'm assuming since its neck-through the body an neck will all be flat and flush? Therefore the neck won't be at an angle however the headstock will be, but it shouldn't matter?

I'm thinking too far into it >.<

Serious question though - The nut width, what is the standard for a 7 string guitar?

Thanks for taking the time to read this giant block of text guys and gals!
Last edited by Sagemaster44 at May 26, 2011,
Cool. I don't have any knowledge to help you, but I'd actually like this thread to stay alive so we can see the finished project.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

TBH, what you've listed sounds pretty much spot on. If you'd not mentioned any woods, my suggestions would have been the following:

Neck - 3-piece maple,
Fingerboard - Ebony,
Body - Mahogany with a maple cap.

The mahogany would give you plenty of low end and warmth, the maple cap would reinforce the high end a bit, then the maple neck and ebony fingerboard would keep your notes snappy and responsive. All of those woods are pretty easy to work too, so coupled with your carpentry experience, you should have no issues. The biggest problem I've never had as a learner is just getting used to tools and having an idea of how to realise my designs in practice. Until a couple of years ago, my only experience of woodwork was making a pencil box at school :\

As long as you set your neck angle correctly, get your scale length bang on, plane and radius your board nicely, then fret well, you'll be fine.

The only questions I'd have are these:

What fingerboard radius are you using?
What neck angle are you using?
Which type of headstock construction will you use?
What will the headstock angle be?
Please think about doing you and your Dad a favor. Buy a bolt on neck with a fretboard radius that matches the Floyd Rose bridge radius for your first project. Building a neck from scratch requires special, expensive tools, not to mention practice.
Stewmac.com has tools and referance books that will help with your build. Don't bite off a project that's too complicated for you two to finish. Good luck.
Quote by Guitbuilder
Please think about doing you and your Dad a favor. Buy a bolt on neck with a fretboard radius that matches the Floyd Rose bridge radius for your first project. Building a neck from scratch requires special, expensive tools, not to mention practice.
Stewmac.com has tools and referance books that will help with your build. Don't bite off a project that's too complicated for you two to finish. Good luck.

Srsly? I've built several necks and never required special, expensive tools.

Please think about doing the GB&C a favour, and stop putting people off learning.
Quote by nowa90
Good choice, the best is for a begginer to get pre-slotted. Makes sure you have the right size, and accurate intonation. All you need is to mesure your bridge/nut and follow these steps for the fretboard
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130170

That was extremely helpful, thanks a ton. Will have pictures in a few hours heading over to the shop in 30!
Sure you could! Word of advice, the more eyes it has, the weaker the wood though.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Small Update: Going to be making it a 7-string now, I've never had one so i thought now is the time. Also we will be making the cuts and stuff this weekend since the shop will be empty then.

BTW Thanks for all the input and kind words I know I've been changing the guitar a lot recently and want to apologize for the dumb questions and slow moving progress, once I get all of the parts delivered to this damned house we can get cereal with this project!
Last edited by Sagemaster44 at May 26, 2011,
My Les Pauls headstock is angled at a 14degree angle or something like that...i know that the sweetspot is around 12degrees-17degrees...anything over or under will mess it up (i think)
I hate all of you...my opinion is my own...take it or leave it
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
My Les Pauls headstock is angled at a 14degree angle or something like that...i know that the sweetspot is around 12degrees-17degrees...anything over or under will mess it up (i think)

13 is "the best" or most common here. If you go under, 17, or above 0, the only problem is that if its a scarf joint it will be pointless. 0 degree is normal strat style, lp's are 17.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.