Hi,

I was thinking to buy a Gibson les paul special 74 RI (Sunburst) with P90 pickups. I think it's a reissue of a gibson special from '58 , i geuss.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033319164/5023a539.html
Now, I'm actually a telecaster player and i want to make sure that this guitar is something for me. Let me explain.
the reason why i'm thinking to buy the guitar is that i like the sound of P90 pickups and i want to have a fatter (thicker) neck as my telecaster 73 custom. I play also some jumpblues so i need a different sound as my telecaster (yes, a P90 sound)

Do you think this is a great guitar to buy ?
(the price is around 1700 dollar)

Actually i'm open for other guitars as well that have P90 pickups.
does anybody suggest something else that is much better ?
(Actually i was also thinking for the Eastwood tuxedo, less expensive but is it good?)
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/1774241/p1_udigf5w3f_so.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gbase.com/gear/eastwood-airline-tuxedo-2007-black&usg=__emnddsnGZ1pActNt5R9uNSSsVAw=&h=1704&w=2272&sz=925&hl=nl&start=0&sig2=ck15nSTp_1sfO7DOAhHfUQ&zoom=1&tbnid=bBWWd6MhaQExQM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=160&ei=LHvETb-qB5KFswbJmv2KDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Deastwood%2Btuxedo%26hl%3Dnl%26rlz%3D1C1GGGE_enBE373BE373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D955%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=391&page=1&ndsp=52&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=74&ty=66
Don't even think about the goldtop of 53 because that's expensive.
My budget is around 1800 - 2000 dollar

gr Hans
Belgium
Last edited by elprusio at May 6, 2011,
I played an Eastwood P90 Special(LP Doublecut-type thing with P90s), and it was a solidly built guitar from what I played, and I haven't heard anything bad about Eastwoods. I loved the crunch tone it gave too, but I play 70s hard rock and 80s metal, so I would assume that's a fair bit different from the blues tone you're looking for but I'd assume it could handle that too, it's about $500 Canadian where I live, which is, like, 300 pounds but with shipping and all I'd assume it'd be a little more. I don't know about that Gibson you posted though, man, that seems to be a fairly steep price for a used guitar. I know you want a fat neck, but have you looked at the '60s Tribute Les Pauls? They'd be cheaper new, I would think, and I've heard good things about them(though I did hear a comment that the pickups sound rather modern for a '60s tribute), the only thing is it's got the '60s Slim neck.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Thanks for the reply.
I shall check the les paul 60's tribute. maybe that's something worth to check.
The gibosn les paul special from 1974 is one of the first reissues of a Gibson '58.
I think it's a good price but i can't find reviews on the internet.

Anyone else experience with the gibson les paul special '74 P90 ?

gr Hans
Quote by Enix165
I played an Eastwood P90 Special(LP Doublecut-type thing with P90s), and it was a solidly built guitar from what I played, and I haven't heard anything bad about Eastwoods. I loved the crunch tone it gave too, but I play 70s hard rock and 80s metal, so I would assume that's a fair bit different from the blues tone you're looking for but I'd assume it could handle that too, it's about $500 Canadian where I live, which is, like, 300 pounds but with shipping and all I'd assume it'd be a little more. I don't know about that Gibson you posted though, man, that seems to be a fairly steep price for a used guitar. I know you want a fat neck, but have you looked at the '60s Tribute Les Pauls? They'd be cheaper new, I would think, and I've heard good things about them(though I did hear a comment that the pickups sound rather modern for a '60s tribute), the only thing is it's got the '60s Slim neck.

it's not steep for a 1974 gibson in that condition, at all. but you'd have to try the guitar to know whether it's worth the money. potentially, it could be, but it might not be.

i haven't had much experience with eastwoods but i have a lot of experience with gibsons from the '70s, and i really would not advise buying one without trying it first. If it's possible fo you to give that guitar a try before you buy it, then by all means take the opportunity and decide whether you want it before you buy the guitar - but if you can't it's probably better to steer clear - it's a lot of money to be gambling with.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks man,
I think there is no option for me to try the guitar because i'm living in Belgium and the guitar is from the states. I know it's better to try the guitar and yeah it's a lot of money.
so.. what can i do, maybe try another gibson that is simular like this ? 60 tribute ? TV yellow ?

Maybe you can tell me what the most problems are for a '70 gibson.
what are the things i must be careful of ?

gr Hans