i'm looking for an amp that can handle lots of different genres (rock, blues, a bit of metal maybe, etc) and i've found my attention drawn to these two amps, which would you recommend? also if theres a better alternative i'm open to all suggestions
Quote by Kasarve
i'm looking for an amp that can handle lots of different genres (rock, blues, a bit of metal maybe, etc) and i've found my attention drawn to these two amps, which would you recommend? also if theres a better alternative i'm open to all suggestions

Whats your budget? Both are very solid amps for the price range. The vox does blues and a lot of rock fantastically considering its basically a solid state amp. The cube excels more at metal than the vox i hear though. Both are good choices for a beginner, however depending on your budget and if you check the used market you might be able to do even better.
between 200 and 300 euro aroundabouts, i was a bit suspicious of the vox because its around 70 euro cheaper, but seems to do alot of stuff better, perhaps a bit of overpricing of the roland cube?

anyway, my playing preferences are things like the white stripes, the black keys, audioslave and so on, i want to be able to do metal, but rock and blues are a higher priority, cleans are important to me too

i'm just very inexperienced in the field of amplifiers so i don't really know where to look
for cleans / blues /classic rock look at the vox or the fender mustang.

For high gain, look at the peavey vypyr, it rules the roost for those types of tones.

For something in the middle, i would recommend the cube. It definitely has usable tones across all genres but is not the best at any, except maybe the JC clean.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Kasarve
between 200 and 300 euro aroundabouts, i was a bit suspicious of the vox because its around 70 euro cheaper, but seems to do alot of stuff better, perhaps a bit of overpricing of the roland cube?

anyway, my playing preferences are things like the white stripes, the black keys, audioslave and so on, i want to be able to do metal, but rock and blues are a higher priority, cleans are important to me too

i'm just very inexperienced in the field of amplifiers so i don't really know where to look

Hmm.. Yeah. Well honestly for that stuff, I would personally take the vox, as it can get the overall cruch and blues better. Regarding metal, its passable, but if you were gonna use it for a lot of metal, I would look for an eq pedal, but then theres the fact that it doesn't have an fx loop. It just gets rather muddy. Yeah like the other dude said the vypyr will get the job done for metal. Thats the thing you'll find out about amps is that its REALLY hard to find one that does everything great, especially for cheap.

The other thing however, is if you can do 300 euros , which is about what $430 if im right? I'm not sure. you're definitely getting into some tube amps, especially used. Another thing to consider is will you be playing with a band or anything. If you looked used with that kinda money, ( sorry may be dead wrong about the market over there) you can find some good deals. A common amp that pops up over here at least, is the peavey classic, it can do blues exceptional, and throw a decent dist in front of it and ive heard it do metal. Same goes for things like the fender hrd and what not. Theres also a brand called Jet City which make amps using the soldano circuits but made in foreighn countries which can be found very cheap. They do rock well, and with a boost i hear they do metal. Someone else might wanna chime in on the metal side of things, as I've never played or intend to lol. If you could find a cheaper marhsahll.. At those prices the you could make score some sort of jcm 900 with the reverb. Aside from that a lot of the newer ones are out of your range and basically crap. Check ebay for peavey, etc.
cool, well i'm gonna be playtesting a few today anyway thanks for the advice, looks like the vox is probably the best choice so far, if i find the high distortion a bit lacking i can always use a pedal on its clean channel after all, cheers
I owned a cube 30x and a mini cube and a vox. I kept the vox for 1 day and brought it back to the store the next day. It actually didn't sound bad for classic rock and blues stuff, but it couldn't pull of anything heavier. The rolands cover it all though imho. For solid state amps, I think they are the way to go if you want to play all styles.
in the end i playtested the vox in a shop and was blown away, its a great machine in my opinion the tone is much better than the cube (although the cube has less "dirty" sounding overdrive, which i guess might be better for metal, but suits me fine )
overall very happy with my choice, thanks for the advice