Electric guitar (LTD EC401VF) reads in tune on the tuner, intonation's set, but it sounds out of tune? I'm thinking it's because the D & G string have fret buzz, G string being the worst cause it's really shrill and metallic sounding open. Tried raising the bridge, got it to where it wasn't even comfortable to play and still fret buzz. I had a luthier file down a few frets that were high before, could he have maybe missed one? I'm stumped and it's really making me angry honestly. Can't even play cause my chords sounds shitty. Even soloing sounds out of tune. Idfk what's going on. Help?

Thanks guys,

Kodi
Is it at 440 Hz?...

I don't know your guitar level so don't take it personal...

What are you attempting to play?... Is it really tune in standard or?...
Last edited by MangeuDePoutine at May 6, 2011,
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
Is it at 440 Hz?...

I don't know your guitar level so don't take it personal...

What are you attempting to play?... Is it really tune in standard or?...

I've been playing for almost a year lol yeah it's 440 Hz. And anything, regardless of if it's standard or dropped tuning, it all sounds f***ed.
your intonation could be out?
also, guitar being an even tempered instrument, parts of it are "naturally out', so it can never be perfectly in tune like a violin could--but i'd bet its your intonation. get your tuner, and check each fret, and see if the note there is in tune.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by tehREALcaptain
your intonation could be out?
also, guitar being an even tempered instrument, parts of it are "naturally out', so it can never be perfectly in tune like a violin could--but i'd bet its your intonation. get your tuner, and check each fret, and see if the note there is in tune.

Yeah man, already checked intonation like I said. It's all good. I've had a friend say it may be a truss rod issue, but how would that make sense? It's the D and B string btw, not whatever I said before.
Quote by AlanHB
How old are your strings?

Brand new pretty much. 3 weeks old, MAYBE. And I'm not sure if they're necessarily not in tune, but it may be the buzz from the two strings that make the whole thing sound off.
It's either the buzzing is just making it sound weird to your ears, or your tuner is busted... that or your ears are busted. lol.... and I doubt the latter.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by kodihook
Brand new pretty much. 3 weeks old, MAYBE. And I'm not sure if they're necessarily not in tune, but it may be the buzz from the two strings that make the whole thing sound off.

Can you make a recording?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd bet it's either old strings or it needs an intonation adjustment.

play harmonics at the twelfth fret. then play it fretted. if they're even slightly different, that's the problem.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
I'd bet it's either old strings or it needs an intonation adjustment.

play harmonics at the twelfth fret. then play it fretted. if they're even slightly different, that's the problem.

Please read before posting man. I've said 5 times the intonation's good, and the strings are like new. I seem to have somehow fixed it though by raising the bridge up a fuzz. Seems like the neck moved too. (I looked down it before and it had a curve towards the thinner strings, like it was closer to them and further from the thicker strings. And it WAS the neck, not the bridge height. I checked. Now it's closer to straight. Iunno. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore. It still sounds odd, but I can live with it till I get it to a shop.)

Thanks guys

Kodi