hey im looking for a new amp 80s metal in the style of Ozzy, Iron Maiden, early Metallica, GN'R

tone at 0:36 is something close to what I'm looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEJOzAVAXc

my budget is about 600 but can stretch a bit more if need be

it'll need to be a head as i have 4x12 cab with v30s
yes but will my neighbors wanna kick my ass? lol

forgot to mention i live in an apartment
JCA20 can do what you want. It's 20w.
The JCM800 IS what you want. It has a Volume knob for a reason you know. It's not some fancy decoration. It's there to keep the volume down. Use it. Power Tube distortion isn't what you want for metal. It will sound good at low volumes, especially with a boost.
Used marshall JCM 800.
Aren't sure of the prices as I'm from Australia, but that would get a similar sound I would think.
Also look into the Laney gh50, its basically a JCM with an added gain stage I believe.
An Orange of some kind may also get a similar tone

Those bands all use marshall amps [depending on the metallica period].

Just my 2 cents.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by pugachev
yes but will my neighbors wanna kick my ass? lol

forgot to mention i live in an apartment

It seems illogical for you to have a half stack then...
RIP Gooze

cats
not really, i just hate thin tone so i run my current amp into a 4x12.

so the marshall can get tv volumes and still sound good?
Quote by mulefish
It seems illogical for you to have a half stack then...

THIS THIS A MILLION TIMES THIS!

Unless...

If you HAVE TO HAVE a half stack then you'll need a power attenuator. The JCM800 is exactly what you want. If you get it then you'll just have to get a power attenuator.
Quote by mulefish
Used marshall JCM 800.
Aren't sure of the prices as I'm from Australia, but that would get a similar sound I would think.
Also look into the Laney gh50, its basically a JCM with an added gain stage I believe.
An Orange of some kind may also get a similar tone

Those bands all use marshall amps [depending on the metallica period].

Just my 2 cents.

By early Metallica, I'd assume he means Kill em all and Ride the Lightning.
Which, they didn't use JCMs actually. On kill em all, they used a Plexi. On Ride, James used a Plexi slaved into a Mesa power amp.
Either way, JCM or JCA20h is the way to go
why is it illogical? 1x12s just sound thin to me, i like the fuller sound of a 4x12 even if it its in my bedroom....
Quote by pugachev
not really, i just hate thin tone so i run my current amp into a 4x12.

so the marshall can get tv volumes and still sound good?

I don't know of any 100 watt tube amps that sound good at tv volume.
Im not waning to spend 1000 dolllars on a jcm 800 for crap bedroom tone. SO, JCA20H then?
Quote by vjferrara

It won't sound it's best, but it won't sound like shit.
And don't be confused. You won't be able to crank the amp and have it whisper quiet with an attenuator. It lowers the volume, but not that dramatically. Get the JCA20h if you need lower volumes. It's a Hotrodded Marshall. It's also designed to avoid to use as much Preamp distortion as it can, meaning it sounds the same at any volume.
Quote by vjferrara

mine does
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by pugachev
Im not waning to spend 1000 dolllars on a jcm 800 for crap bedroom tone. SO, JCA20H then?

JCM800's don't cost that much brand new... BTW, craigslist is your friend. Use it.
Craigslist in the middle of bum**** arkanas is NOT your friend buddy. Marshall dsl401 going for 800 bucks right now.

Also, I wasnt looking for brand new as the jcm 800 reissue would cost what, twice that much? but yes used goes from 800-1200 on ebay right now.
Quote by darkwolf291
Not sure if you got the memo, but JCM800s have been discontinued since the 80's

Missed it. Never was a huge fan of them anyway. Always liked the 900's and 2000's better.

Quote by pugachev
Craigslist in the middle of bum**** arkanas is NOT your friend buddy. Marshall dsl401 going for 800 bucks right now.

Also, I wasnt looking for brand new as the jcm 800 reissue would cost what, twice that much? but yes used goes from 800-1200 on ebay right now.

Wow... Sorry doesn't even cover it. I guess I'm just spoiled by craigslist in my area. Living near Nashville has it's perks.
Last edited by vjferrara at May 7, 2011,
So is jcm 800 on 1 too loud for apt? I hear a video on youtube with his amp on 1 and it sounded great to me
Quote by darkwolf291
The reissues aren't the same.
The 2204 and 2205 were the JCM800's you wanted. The Reissue is a 2203
I prefer the 800 with a good boost.
Different strokes

Wrong.

He wants a 2203 or 2204.

The 2205 and 2210 are the shitty channel switchers and the reissue is the 2203X.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by vjferrara

better
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a 4001 is the answer here.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 7, 2011,
dude if you want a jcm800 just get one. there is a volume knob for a reason. you dont need an attenuator it would be a waste of money for what you want. dont rule out that jca20 great amps. plus you can still gig with 20 watts of tube. if you are playing a big venue mic it.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Ya, i'd recommend the JCA20h...or better yet, wait until this summer and buy the JCA22h, a 2 channel variant of the JCA20h with a built in Soldano SLO100 circuit (only 500$....Soldano's are WAY over 2000$)
Ceriatone makes a 2204 clone for ~$700, fwiw.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
^ Should be able to find used originals for around that price if you hunt.

I drove 2 hours to Montreal to pick mine up for $600.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ No problem.

Quote by burnboy85
I'd reccomend a Peavey XXX. They go for pretty cheap used, and they are very versitle

wut.
for jcm800 tones?
Wut.

I have heard some good 80s tones out of them to be fair though
Quote by coolstoryangus
wut.
for jcm800 tones?
Wut.

I have heard some good 80s tones out of them to be fair though

IDK, I've got the JSX and I can get all kinds of great crunchy and overdriven tones,and I know the XXX is the same way. Besides, theyre a bit cheaper and easyer to find, i belive.